6 week old kitten 1.85 lbs, capstar

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rescued a 6-week-old kitten this week that had been dumped near a barn. She is in very good health, other than fleas. My state is having a massive flea outbreak due to rain, so bathing in Dawn dish soap isn't working well enough. I do have capstar that I keep on hand, but she is not yet the 2 lb that is recommended. Does anyone know if I can use half of a tablet on a younger kitten?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would check with your vet about Frontline Plus, which can be given to kitten over 1.5 pounds, but there is a caveat about 8 weeks or older (vs. 6 weeks). Frontline Plus is a topical treatment that actually works for a month, kills flea larvae/eggs, and is only absorbed through the sebaceous glands vs. Capstar that doesn't kill flea eggs/larvae, goes into the bloodstream, and is usually only effective for 24 hours or so. Maybe your vet can tell you which they would recommend you try.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I want to add, when the time comes for deworming - this time may come soon; its not enough with the standard dewormer taking only roundworms.
Being flea infested he may also have tapeworms, because fleas are inbetween host of tapeworm.

These spot on deparasites takes often roundworm too, but not always tapeworm.

Let your vet advice you.