First Litter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smudge12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fab! Would i weigh the kittens in grams yeah? And on a daily basis?

smudge12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the silly post. Worrying again about things I'm not sure off so wondering if anyone can enlighten me so I can relax lol...
When kittens are born how long would I give it for my smudge to remove the cord herself etc before I would have to worry and need to step in?

Also when would I weigh them, when she's delivering the next one? A few hours? Or just when I feel smudge has settled enough that she will allow me to do so?

Also from reading some posts and seeing that many litters have experienced a still born, is there anything I can do to potentially save it if we experience this?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Play it by ear with the cord. Give mom a few minutes. If she gets busy delivering another baby while a baby is still attached you can cut the cord.

You can weigh them whenever you feel like is the best time.

If a kitten is born not moving or breathing, place it in a towel and rub gently but vigorously to warm it up and see if it will breathe.

smudge12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry just noticed this black thing on her nipple... Should I be concerned? Worried there is something wrong or maybe she has fleas etc as I don't know if its my eyes or my camera but it looks like a beasty? And can see black dots on her white hair but only on the camera. The black nipple mark is defo there tho. Ignore the shaved belly its from her scan lol

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's hard for me to tell in the picture. Is it a flea?

Otherwise, it's just normal skin pigmentation that may be appearing due to hormones. Nothing to worry about.

The black specks on her fur sound like flea "dirt", which is actually flea poop. You'll want to put Advantage II on her neck, brush her, vacuum, and wash all bedding in hot water to get rid of the eggs and larva.

smudge12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Iv had a feel and proper look and looks and feels dry, same as all her nipples which I've just noticed. I'm not sure if I should call the vet in the morning and get her seen just to be safe. I have flea and worming treatments here already from the vet but she had a injection a few days ago and I was advised to wait a week

smudge12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to put some vegetable oil on nipples just now as they do seem quite dry and ring vet when we wake up to see if I can use the flea treatment a few days early. Skins crawling at the thought :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good! Sometimes it takes a couple of rounds to completely get rid of the fleas. [emoji]128528[/emoji]

smudge12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has being pooing outside the litter box the past day? Is this pregnancy related as it's so unlike her and I know cats are usually fab with a litter tray

Last edited:

smudge12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry didn't get back. Haven't been on, got advice from the vet and told to get back in touch if she continues to do it after kittens are a few days old. Feeling so sorry on her today she's 62 days pregnant today and she's so uncomfortable :(