First Litter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smudge12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's not really eating much anymore, she seems just totally done with the whole pregnancy thing :( she let's me rub it sometimes if shes the one instigating it and it feels solid now compared to last week it still felt somewhat soft. Is that normal?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
What's the weather like where you are? I ask because it's getting warm here and all my girl friends who went through pregnancy were always running hot. Maybe have the room cool for her. Do you have a fan or AC if it's warm? Poor girl.

smudge12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What's the weather like where you are? I ask because it's getting warm here and all my girl friends who went through pregnancy were always running hot. Maybe have the room cool for her. Do you have a fan or AC if it's warm? Poor girl.
I live in Scotland so I definitely don't have that problem lol. Hopefully its all over for her soon she's been back and forth to the vet all week as I'm just totally panicking with her acting so different so will be good for my nerves to once they have arrived :)

smudge12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So its nearly day 66 of smudges pregnancy, last time I spoke to the vet they said to contact them if she was still pregnant on this day, I just agreed and said my goodbyes but now the day is nearly here (its bedtime just now) I'm kinda wondering why I need to get in contact with them? Surely they wouldn't want to try and intervene yet

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no clue how long a normal gestation is. I hope someone will come along who can help you further.

smudge12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We now have 5 beautiful kittens! Looks like there's at least 1 more to come. Cannot believe just how much of a superstar smudge has been! She needed help with kitten number 1's cord but became a pro at it after the first one

smudge12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Woke up after a few hours sleep to only 4! Totally confused to where the other kitten has gone. Smudge seems settled with her babies, she's calms, she's ate, she's letting them feed and reacting to any cries from her kittens, but she still looks likes there is more to come she hasn't had a kitten now for 6 nearly 7 hours. Spoke to the vet who explained she's maybe ate the kitten if it had any problems and also she as long as she is calm then just to wait and see if more come. I fed her an hour ago when will I offer her food again?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you look everywhere for the kitten?

You need to leave dry cat food and water out for mom at all times. Feed wet food 3-4 times a day about every 4-6 hours.

It's good that you did not need the vet. Most cats deliver normally without intervention.

smudge12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Checked everywhere.. Maybe we were just so tired we miscounted I don't know but me and my neighbor are both 99% sure there was a 5th kitten. Perfect thank you! She's doing fab barely heard a peep out her babies there either feeding or sleeping I thought they would be really noisy lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's terrific! I hope you miscounted babies, but we may never know.

smudge12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That photo was just took their :) got some ones from yesterday but won't let me upload. Everyone seems to be doing fab! ❤

smudge12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Advice needed asap please :(
So all has been going fab, last night we had an emergency trip during the night to the vet as smudges seemed to still be Contracting, an ultrasound was done and showed no more kittens just a very overly full bladder, contracting I was told was just everything inside going back down to normal size like us humans do. Anyway all has been great again after the little scare. Until about an hour ago I got in to bed, smudge came through to see me after her kitty's had fell asleep and I spend 10-15 minutes clapping her then turned to fall asleep, within a few minutes she pawed at my face and meowed in a desperate sad way. She jumped off the bed and was crying then lying down, crying then lying down repeatedly like she was in pain when standing and walking. I phoned the emergency vet number within minutes and was told this is all fine and she sounds okay just to leave her alone basically. Now I'm really worried as I explained to the vet smudge isn't really a meower much and she WAS distressed when meowing I definitely know when my cat is upset. She seems to have calmed down for the time being. Any advice help anything would be appreciated

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a first-time mother, as you said, & maybe just wants some extra reinforcement from you? As you know, some first-time cat mothers constantly want to involve their person in all things related to their kittens. Interesting that she starts all this when you are going to sleep.

The most important thing is to watch carefully how she is with her kittens. If she continues to be a good mother to them, then that is good. If her meowing, etc. starts to interfere with her parental duties then a vet visit would be in order.

Good luck over the weekend. It's the middle of the night now in
Scotland so I hope all will be well in the morning.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She was probably experiencing after pains just like humans do. They are contractions that can be almost as painful as when in labor. They can occur on and off for a few days after giving birth.

If she continues to seem "off" she may have a uterine infection or UTI that is causing her to feel unwell. This would be rare though.

It sounds like she has calmed down for now. Are you offering her a dish a day of KMR? This seems to help new moms to calm down, as well as to build needed calcium reserves.

Keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with the posters above. If there was no more bad continuation, "just" a spell of bad meowing for a while, its as they both said.

Possibly if you can sleep near her nest? With some caretakers it becomes more or less necessary, if momma desperately needs the assurance of her human.

Re the missing kitten. Its not impossible you miscounted. Easy to happen if there is stress and lotsa new impressions. Unless you clearly remember one individual whom is missing. That is the way to be SURE.

But it is as the vet hinted. If one kitten is dying, or died, its common momma is either carrying it away and hides, or does eats it up. She dont want to attract predators nor ants to the nest with the other kittens.
So this is also a possibility yes.