Fic, Lymphoma, Pyelonephritis?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry you're now having to go through this, but members here on this site, definitely understand, and never think of our babies as "just a cat". :catrub:And it doesn't matter how old we are, or how old our pet is, saying goodbye is never easy. :(

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet is now certain that he does have renal lymphoma and he has lost another 1 1/2 pounds since his last visit.
How can your vet be sure it's a lymphoma if he hasn't run a specific test?
Is he going to put to sleep a cat on "a suspect"?
I hope you're not going to listen to him without having more tests that give you the answer for 100% sure!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We definitely don't think "it's just a cat" here :frown:. They are part of the family and we grieve for them as much as for a human (maybe more!)

I mentioned in an earlier post that I've had three cats with kidney disease, and all of them lost their appetites from it. One thing that worked well for them was to feed them tiny meals all through the day and night. 7 - 9 meals within a 24 hours period. Perhaps only a tablespoon of canned food at a time, but times nine equals a fair amount. I also added about the same amount of water to the food so it was really easy for them just to lap up. And I let them eat whatever they wanted. My last cat seemed to love Iams TunaTopia, which was actually pretty good on the scale as far as kidney diets go, so it was a win-win. But I found that too much food at once was a turn off for them.

We also used the appetite stimulants and sub-q fluids, plus antacids for the early morning throw-ups. Does Kovi have those?

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope you're not going to listen to him without having more tests that give you the answer for 100% sure!
this ↑ - a MILLION times this

i hope you find a cats-only or at least a cat friendly vet for a second opinion. would you let them tell you to euthanize a relative because the doctor "suspects" cancer? there are SO many things the problem could be with the exact same symptoms. if the nausea isn't being treated, that could be the only real issue at this point.

has your vet prescribed cerenia?

our cat is a 20 year old kidney patient, and they tend to sometimes have nausea, which makes them not eat and lose weight. cerenia helps with the nausea. famotidine can help, too. it's pepcid, and sometimes if cats have stomach acid causing pain or nausea, it can be very helpful. you can even get them compounded in chicken or tuna flavored juice. many cats lap it up - if not, i find it easier to squirt in my cat's mouth than trying to pill him.

and there's no such thing as "just a cat". your Kovi is a living being with feelings who has been a part of your life and family for 12 years. love knows no boundaries.

whatever happens, you've had 12 wonderful years together that made both your lives better, and that's something not everyone ever has.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MarkI12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There isn't much it can be other than that at this point. He came in to the vet severely dehydrated and having lost another 1 1/2 pounds since our last visit and his kidneys are still very enlarged. The other possibility would have been pyelonephritis but after 14 days of Amoxcilin and 30 days of Zeniquin his kidneys are still big. Another factor that points towards the lymphoma is the fact that his kidneys are not sensitive to the touch which is the case with kidney infections.

I will not have him euthanized until I feel that he's really suffering but at the same time after reading extensively on the subject for the past 1 1/2 months I have come to the same conclusion as the vet. I am not in a position to spend 600$ on an ultrasound to confirm cancer when there doesn't seem to be any other explanation to his symptoms. Kidney stones, CKD and infection have been ruled out so it's really the only thing that makes sense.

We have been giving him sub-q fluids along with the Diazepam and he's been eating more but he's starting to show weakness in his hindlegs and seems more aloof than usual.

MarkI12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We definitely don't think "it's just a cat" here :frown:. They are part of the family and we grieve for them as much as for a human (maybe more!)

I mentioned in an earlier post that I've had three cats with kidney disease, and all of them lost their appetites from it. One thing that worked well for them was to feed them tiny meals all through the day and night. 7 - 9 meals within a 24 hours period. Perhaps only a tablespoon of canned food at a time, but times nine equals a fair amount. I also added about the same amount of water to the food so it was really easy for them just to lap up. And I let them eat whatever they wanted. My last cat seemed to love Iams TunaTopia, which was actually pretty good on the scale as far as kidney diets go, so it was a win-win. But I found that too much food at once was a turn off for them.

We also used the appetite stimulants and sub-q fluids, plus antacids for the early morning throw-ups. Does Kovi have those?

:vibes::vibes::vibes:
No he has not vomited in a few weeks now so I guess that's pretty good! I am trying different techniques and have had some success in getting him to eat since we started the sub-q. I will definitely try smaller portions throughout the day though thank you!

MarkI12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this ↑ - a MILLION times this

i hope you find a cats-only or at least a cat friendly vet for a second opinion. would you let them tell you to euthanize a relative because the doctor "suspects" cancer? there are SO many things the problem could be with the exact same symptoms. if the nausea isn't being treated, that could be the only real issue at this point.

has your vet prescribed cerenia?

our cat is a 20 year old kidney patient, and they tend to sometimes have nausea, which makes them not eat and lose weight. cerenia helps with the nausea. famotidine can help, too. it's pepcid, and sometimes if cats have stomach acid causing pain or nausea, it can be very helpful. you can even get them compounded in chicken or tuna flavored juice. many cats lap it up - if not, i find it easier to squirt in my cat's mouth than trying to pill him.

and there's no such thing as "just a cat". your Kovi is a living being with feelings who has been a part of your life and family for 12 years. love knows no boundaries.

whatever happens, you've had 12 wonderful years together that made both your lives better, and that's something not everyone ever has.

He is on Diazepam which is supposed to help with the nausea and the appetite.
As I mentioned in the response to the person you quoted enlarged kidneys with no pain to the touch after 6 weeks of antibiotics strongly suggests lymphoma.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other possibility would have been pyelonephritis but after 14 days of Amoxcilin and 30 days of Zeniquin his kidneys are still big.
I have a rather direct experience with pyelonephritis (not me, but very close to me), and the antibiotics, two different antibiotics simultaneously, were needed for 4 months straight!

MarkI12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a rather direct experience with pyelonephritis (not me, but very close to me), and the antibiotics, two different antibiotics simultaneously, were needed for 4 months straight!
Yes the pyelonephritis was still being considered up until last week but the fact that the kidneys have not reduced in size and don't appear to be sensitive to the touch make that possibility unlikely.