Feral With Mange

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Shadows...you are so knowledgeable. I think I have rescue remedy that I purchased for my dog, but I haven't really used it because it seemed to make her very groggy. I will check the label and see if I can use it for cats.

I have 3 that come regularly and kind of tolerate each other. One has his ear tipped so I believe he is already neutered, the 2nd I think is a female (very shy) and lastly this one, I call him Mr. Scruncles (because his ear is all crumpled up). So if I can get the female and Scruncles fixed that would be great.

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you able to put him in a carrier?
He seems quite friendly and I have briefly touched him a several times, but I don't think he's used to being touched and has swiped at me once or twice when I guess I rubbed him the wrong way.

He's funny he walks right next to me, almost on top of me and will rub up against my legs. He will push towards my hand when I'm feeding him like he wants to be pet, but I am very hesitant because he's a little too forward, if that makes sense. I don't want to get scratched and I don't think he's used to being pet. Sometimes he will block my path to the front door and won't move or lie in the driveway when I pull my car in and not move, even if I beep the horn. I have had to get out of the car and raise my voice to try to get him to move...he doesn't get it.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he looks so much better now!! I just read this thread now. Looks and sounds like the worst is over and the cat is getting over the mange. I just want to add here that several years ago, I came in contact with a feral cat that had the mange. I knew that he had some sort of skin condition but had no idea what it was. How I found out was the hard way, I got a TERRIBLE skin condition myself. I went to my doctor and was diagnosed with Scabies!!:confused2: I was floored and terrible upset with the diagnosis. I said to the doctor, isn't this disease something that dirty, unclean people get?? Anyway, to make a long story short, the doctor asked me about the cats a I was caring for. When I described Charlie's fur to him, it all made sense. Yes I caught it :livid:. The treatment for humans with Scabies is a pain in the neck with all the bedding washing and ITCHING! OMG, TERRIBLE!! Definitely wear GLOVES and be very, very careful. No fun at all!!! Just thought I would share to help the next person that comes across this situation.

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Mazie- I do wear gloves when I feed them. Part of the reason I am extra cautious is that when I was feeding some outdoor cats where I work years ago I got scratched. Anyway, years later I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease and they told me I was also positive for Bartonella AKA Cat Scratch Disease. You said it, No fun!