Feral With Mange

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ordered from discountpedmedication.biz before? There is a bulk 12 month supply kit of the revolution for $54. Looks like it comes in bulk vial with a syringe. I would have to measure it out. Otherwise the 6 month standard individual revolution packets are $65

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Surya. I will give it a try. In the mean time, I had some Food Grade Diatemaceous earth, so I was able to sprinkle it on him. I read somewhere that it is helpful to kill fleas, ticks and mites

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried the DE because I read that the cat could get a respiratory infection from breathing in the dust. But I ran across this video of how to put the DE on a cat more safely. It probably wouldn't work in your situation because the cat is too feral. So it is off topic, but anyway here it is:

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I ordered the Revolution online, so it will probably come some time this week. Really hope it works!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I ordered the Revolution online, so it will probably come some time this week. Really hope it works!
Me too, I hate to see those poor kitties with mange scratching like crazy. The looks so miserable.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I remember about Revolution though, I think you are supposed to get a Heartworm test before you give it, since it kills heartworms? Does anybody know?

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to provide an update. It's been a little over a month since the first dose and I think he is looking a little better except the ears are still dark and without much hair.
IMG_5043.JPG
IMG_5042.JPG
IMG_5039.JPG
IMG_5040.JPG
IMG_5041.JPG
IMG_5038.JPG
I just gave the 2nd dose a couple days ago.

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, yes, Revolution. I guess it takes a while to heal, hopefully it will keep getting better. I also contacted my town. They have a TNR program. But I am a little scared that they will not return him if they think he has too many other issues with the skin??? Am I just being paranoid?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they will return him to you afterwards if you insist on it, I don't see why they wouldn't. They might not help with his skin problem though, the TNR programs here just do Spay/Neuter, Vaccinations, Ear Mites, and Flea Treatment, nothing else.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be on the safe side, I would call them and tell them you are treating the cat for mange and see if that would be an issue. The cat looks pretty healthy to me other than the mange.

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's good, I hope they treat the ears for mites. I will definitely mention the mange. He has become increasingly friendly. I found out from a neighbor that she remembers someone moving a long time ago and leaving him behind. I guess he's not a true feral.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that calling to ask what they treat for and what the procedure would be is a good idea.

Usually it's a morning drop off and an afternoon pickup. Just make sure you know all you need to before you hand him over. Let them know he's fairly friendly too.

Thank you for caring for him!

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sarthur2, they said they would trap him the night before and they would bring him somewhere to be neutered the next morning.

He is such an outgoing cat, I don't know why someone would leave him. He loves to talk and walks around the house outside several times a day announcing himself with meows over and over and over. He follows me when I am in the garden and likes to have a conversation with anyone who will listen...lol. Definitely very vocal. I am going to look online to see if I can find a place that might be willing to take him in.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why do they have to trap him? Are you able to get him in a carrier yourself?

How would you know you would get him back if the city traps him?

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur- I spoke to the Animal Control Officer who runs the program in my town and he told me the will release him in the same area he is trapped in.

I'm just worried he will get spooked and not want to come around any longer. Do cats usually freak out when they are trapped and neutered?

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if it's better he doesn't see me when they do it. He may associate the whole thing with me in a negative way? What do you think?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sarthur- I spoke to the Animal Control Officer who runs the program in my town and he told me the will release him in the same area he is trapped in.

I'm just worried he will get spooked and not want to come around any longer. Do cats usually freak out when they are trapped and neutered?
Most cats that are trapped, neutered and returned will leave for a day or so. Yet since you are the food source he will most likely return. It is a process for them, but it is so very necessary. He will be so much better off after neutering. Most get over the trauma very quickly.

I like to use flower essences such as Rescue Remedy to help the cat feel more at ease once they return. It is easy to place a few drops into the wet food, water bowl or directly onto the fur.

Thank you for the update. He looks so much better. It does take the skin awhile to heal and the fur to regrow.