Feral With Mange

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feeding a feral that looks like he has bad mange. Need help, please what can I give him to treat him?

Thanks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mange is caused by tiny mites. There are shampoos that kill mites, and also oral medications that help treat the skin. Are you able to handle the cat?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you'll need a vet. Is he very feral, or can you catch him to put a topical flea treatment on him? Frontline sometimes works, but I don't know if it works for really bad cases. A vet would know.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been told Ivermectin may work. But there are different kinds of mange. You can put it in a can of wet food. But it is better if you can trap it and take it into the vet. Mange can kill a cat left untreated.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
R ruey

A tube of Revolution on the back of the neck will kill mites, if you are able to apply it. If it is a bad case it may take more than one dose over time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you...I can't handle him. He did let me touch him for the first time the other day, but bathing him is simply out of the realm of possibility. Catching him and getting him to the vet would also be a real challenge at this point, maybe down the line when he trusts me a bit more. I can try either the frontline or advantage. I might be able to squirt it on his neck while he is eating. Is one better than the other? Maybe I can see if this works first and then go from there.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't say so on the label, but Frontline got rid of my cat's ear mites, which can cause mange. I've also read of it helping some kinds of mange. It's worth a shot if you can get it on the back of his neck where he can't lick it.

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok, thanks. I will give it a try. I am attaching some pics.
IMG_4837.JPG
IMG_4833.JPG
IMG_4834.JPG
IMG_4836.JPG
IMG_4831.JPG

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! It definitely looks like mange. I hope the Frontline works, let us know how it goes.

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Maggie...will do!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
R ruey

Oh my! That looks really bad. The Advantage will not help mange, but Revolution will.

I suggest that you show this picture to your vet, explain it is for a feral, and ask for Revolution. Also ask for a liquid antibiotic that you can mix in with his food.

He really needs help! Poor guy has had a tough life by the looks of it. Thank you for helping him!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are having problems getting him into the carrier to take to the vet, maybe try leaving the carrier out for him to eat and sleep in. It worked for my cats, they go in it all the time.

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
R ruey

Oh my! That looks really bad. The Advantage will not help mange, but Revolution will.

I suggest that you show this picture to your vet, explain it is for a feral, and ask for Revolution. Also ask for a liquid antibiotic that you can mix in with his food.

He really needs help! Poor guy has had a tough life by the looks of it. Thank you for helping him!
Thanks Sarthur-

Yes, he has had a tough go of it. When I started feeding him he was only walking on 3 legs, his other leg was all swollen and he couldn't walk on it. Thank God that healed...he has gained some weight since he eats twice a day now.

I know I will eventually have to get him to the vet somehow, (he also needs to get neutered) but will try the Advantage to see if that works for now. I just purchased a 6 pack of the Advantage ll from Petsmart and heading over to pick it up now. Maybe I can get it on him at dinner time.

He let's me touch him the past few days, but I am wearing gloves because I read mange is contagious.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does Advantage II treat mites? Good luck whatever you decide to use. Yes, when humans catch mange from their animals it is called Scabies I think.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bathed a cat with mange once, not realizing what it was. I got an itchy rash. The mites don't survive on humans for very long, but it was not pleasant. I think Sarthur2 is correct in saying Advantage will not cure mange. I think you do need revolution or ivermectin.

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok, I will cancel the order for the Advantage. Maybe I can buy the revolution online

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's right! According to that chart Revolution does treat mites and mange. Isn't it prescription only though? Maybe your vet could call in a prescription for you so you can order it.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking care of the poor kitty. I took a cat into the vet that had mange so bad it had gone blind. The vet put it down. :(

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's right! Revolution does treat mites and mange. Isn't it prescription only though? Maybe your vet could call in a prescription for you so you can order it.
That's what the vet's office told me, but I was able to order it online.