Feral in my garage

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that Oscar is doing well. I am helping a friend look for a house and it can be stressful, but it is also exciting and fun. I wish you luck in your search!

Depending on what you find, if your new house has an extra room of a decent size, you could keep Oscar inside. You could build a catio right outside that room that he can access through a window. When I had two cats in a safe room for several months, I had two gates at the door and could easily get into the room without fear of an escape! I think if Oscar was inside, you would have fewer worries about temperature and safety. You wouldn't have to trek outside in bad weather to take care of him and it might be easier to become buddies! Just a thought!
Hi - Oscar is too feral. I tried him inside when I first trapped him. He was in two xl dog crates attached and due to the noises on the house - didn’t eat or even move for four days. So I opened the crate and window and he left. He does fine away from the house but inside - it’s way too stressful for him. He is extremely feral.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Good morning,

Thanks for inquiring about my boy. There are no updates except that I may be moving again. While Oscar has a great home, I am not too happy with my home and am looking at houses in Maine. I almost didn't since it would mean figuring out a new place for Oscar, but I have to take care of myself first and then figure out how to bring him. I can't even think about it but just have to do one step at a time.

When I do find a house, I wouldn't be able to move his shed and so would have to buy and install a new shed. I really have to find a good carpenter or cat loving handyman wherever I go.

I just have to pray that it will all work out if I do find a house, and that I can trap him and get him to another decent enclosure for him. Don't worry, I will never abandon him. I love him. He hasn't made any more attempts to even see me, as he stays up in his loft out of site whenever I come in. I always tell him I love him and talk to him but no more daring adventures on his part trying to engage with me.

One step at a time. I wish I could just lift up his shed and take it with me but I talked to a building person and they said it would be too difficult and expensive. I don't even have another house yet and so I am getting way ahead of myself. That said, I worry about him all the time.
Great to hear that Oscar is good and also yourself too.

Hope you find the right house and yes, I agree with Avery Avery , a catio need not be outdoors. If you have space inside, put one in the house which open up top the outside.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great to hear that Oscar is good and also yourself too.

Hope you find the right house and yes, I agree with Avery Avery , a catio need not be outdoors. If you have space inside, put one in the house which open up top the outside.
I would love to have him in the house but I can’t. He totally stresses at hearing the dogs, my other cats. He’s a solitary guy and sadly - I’ll have to purchase a shed and outfit it for him. It’s going to be $10k to do that. Ugh.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to have him in the house but I can’t. He totally stresses at hearing the dogs, my other cats. He’s a solitary guy and sadly - I’ll have to purchase a shed and outfit it for him. It’s going to be $10k to do that. Ugh.
Not necessarily. Temperaments do change with time, love, trust, and patience. This happened in my recent past with the ferals in my life. It can happen with Oscar.
And you don't need to stress about building a place for Oscar. There are quality prefab buildings on the market -- I'm sure there are companies that serve Maine. TuffShed is one here in CA. Research it and I'm sure you'll find something to suit Oscar's needs if you decide to do that.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not necessarily. Temperaments do change with time, love, trust, and patience. This happened in my recent past with the ferals in my life. It can happen with Oscar.
And you don't need to stress about building a place for Oscar. There are quality prefab buildings on the market -- I'm sure there are companies that serve Maine. TuffShed is one here in CA. Research it and I'm sure you'll find something to suit Oscar's needs if you decide to do that.
I have to get the house first 🤣 but I’d love a shed that I could use too with electricity. Maybe - a dream of mine. Where I could go out and write and Oscar would just have to deal with me in his abode!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to get the house first 🤣 but I’d love a shed that I could use too with electricity. Maybe - a dream of mine. Where I could go out and write and Oscar would just have to deal with me in his abode!
We had a great 12x12 wood shed with 2 screened windows for cross-ventilation and a door, in the Mojave. It was built to be, and was, insulated; it was electrified as well, and it was our "kitten cabin" where we installed a very feral baby Suha when she turned up on our land, as our angel Moti was in her final illness in the house and we did not want to subject her to a very wild kitten. The cabin was very comfortable; we had a little ceramic heater in there, and various carriers, scratchers, etc. There was a dining area and a shelf to keep cans of food and a bottle of water; there was a litterbox, and there was a carpeted platform on one of the windows where she could recline and look out at the beautiful desert landscape. This was already in place when we bought the house, so I didn't have info on it but it did come from TuffShed. It would have been a great place for a chair and little table, too; I even wanted to "camp" out there occasionally, but I didn't get the chance to do that.
IMG_1081.JPG
IMG_1092.JPG
IMG_1098.JPG

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom . Sorry things haven't worked out at the house. Good luck finding a new place. That combo shed dream of a cat condo for Oscar and writing corner for you sounds perfect.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom . Sorry things haven't worked out at the house. Good luck finding a new place. That combo shed dream of a cat condo for Oscar and writing corner for you sounds perfect.
The house here is fine, it’s the location and town is more money focused. Not my vibe so looking in Maine.

Regarding potentially moving - Some people dream of men, vacations, money. I dream of combo cat condo/writing nook. 🤣🤣

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The house here is fine, it’s the location and town is more money focused. Not my vibe so looking in Maine.

Regarding potentially moving - Some people dream of men, vacations, money. I dream of combo cat condo/writing nook. 🤣🤣
Glad the house is okay for the time you have to be there. I'm exactly like you in the "dreams" dept. -- and living in perhaps the capital of selfishness, greed, and avarice. Never thought I'd have to come back here, but I'm here and probably for the duration. It's my MO to make the best I can of whatever I have and for me, my house is pretty much my world. Very much an outlier, but that's always been the case, so it's not uncharted territory.

Really hoping you find something a lot closer to your dream, though! and with it, a PURRfect environment for sweet Oscar.:redheartpump::blackcat2::redheartpump:
*I just looked up Tuff Shed in ME. There's one in Portland, ME and one in fairly nearby Derry, NH. ;)* If you search the site you'll find a gallery of great-looking buildings, some that are downright screaming for writers :yess:

Last edited:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad the house is okay for the time you have to be there. I'm exactly like you in the "dreams" dept. -- and living in perhaps the capital of selfishness, greed, and avarice. Never thought I'd have to come back here, but I'm here and probably for the duration. It's my MO to make the best I can of whatever I have and for me, my house is pretty much my world. Very much an outlier, but that's always been the case, so it's not uncharted territory.

Really hoping you find something a lot closer to your dream, though! and with it, a PURRfect environment for sweet Oscar.:redheartpump::blackcat2::redheartpump:
*I just looked up Tuff Shed in ME. There's one in Portland, ME and one in fairly nearby Derry, NH. ;)* If you search the site you'll find a gallery of great-looking buildings, some that are downright screaming for writers :yess:
You are speaking my language. Where I am is a nice town. But I don’t have a neighborhood and the women who have befriended me are very aware of money and again - not my focus so I stay home a lot with my animals. I’m hoping to move somewhere where people are out an about - there are more things to do and I can make some sympatico friends. That has always been a challenge since I care about animals and making a difference most of all.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are speaking my language. Where I am is a nice town. But I don’t have a neighborhood and the women who have befriended me are very aware of money and again - not my focus so I stay home a lot with my animals. I’m hoping to move somewhere where people are out an about - there are more things to do and I can make some sympatico friends. That has always been a challenge since I care about animals and making a difference most of all.
You took the words right from my keyboard;)
My two female friends locally are both very materially centered and not much else. It's lonely. I have online friends all over the world, including here at TCS where I feel so much at home! but this city is EXTREMELY consumerist/materialist and a lot of the residents are schemers and grifters. It's known as a very wealthy city. That's NOT my background and it's NOT a lifestyle I have any interest in. You drive a Benz and have a Cartier watch? Good for you. Do they bring you joy? Great. I wonder about people that make THINGS the focus of their lives. So yes, my home is also pretty much my world, and my PC is my window on the world where there are good, caring, compassionate, intelligent people *and cats. Cats are extremely important to me, having been born into a family "with cat."*

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You took the words right from my keyboard;)
My two female friends locally are both very materially centered and not much else. It's lonely. I have online friends all over the world, including here at TCS where I feel so much at home! but this city is EXTREMELY consumerist/materialist and a lot of the residents are schemers and grifters. It's known as a very wealthy city. That's NOT my background and it's NOT a lifestyle I have any interest in. You drive a Benz and have a Cartier watch? Good for you. Do they bring you joy? Great. I wonder about people that make THINGS the focus of their lives. So yes, my home is also pretty much my world, and my PC is my window on the world where there are good, caring, compassionate, intelligent people *and cats. Cats are extremely important to me, having been born into a family "with cat."*
I grew up in an affluent area and still only cared about my cat and the dog. And of course wildlife outside. So I grew up like that and still went to a different drummer. I always think about “will it keep me up at night?” And things don’t buy an animal suffering does. So I try to help prevent that. In the novel I wrote - the key character cares more about her cat than anything. And he plays an important role in my novel. People enjoy the book so maybe there are more of us than we know ❤

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up in an affluent area and still only cared about my cat and the dog. And of course wildlife outside. So I grew up like that and still went to a different drummer. I always think about “will it keep me up at night?” And things don’t buy an animal suffering does. So I try to help prevent that. In the novel I wrote - the key character cares more about her cat than anything. And he plays an important role in my novel. People enjoy the book so maybe there are more of us than we know ❤
Absolutely NO DOUBT that there ARE "more of us than we know"! And cats are the world's most beloved companions, no matter what the mainstream media and sycophants of the advertising industry try to shove down our throats. They may sway the gullible and the superficial who don't have deep compassion and love, and who might swing with whatever is "trending," but there are millions of us all over the world who know our own minds and hearts and refuse to be "conditioned" to this, uh, stuff.
Sounds like an excellent book!!!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Absolutely NO DOUBT that there ARE "more of us than we know"! And cats are the world's most beloved companions, no matter what the mainstream media and sycophants of the advertising industry try to shove down our throats. They may sway the gullible and the superficial who don't have deep compassion and love, and who might swing with whatever is "trending," but there are millions of us all over the world who know our own minds and hearts and refuse to be "conditioned" to this, uh, stuff.
Sounds like an excellent book!!!
I think sometimes people say “I’m a dog person” as if loving cats is an affliction. I personally am both - and every thing in between! Cats are wonderful as are dogs - they are just different. My novel is One Ruby Button on Amazon and the gray kitty in it is named Mr. Bellows!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think sometimes people say “I’m a dog person” as if loving cats is an affliction. I personally am both - and every thing in between! Cats are wonderful as are dogs - they are just different. My novel is One Ruby Button on Amazon and the gray kitty in it is named Mr. Bellows!
I'll keep this in mind! Wishing there was another place to buy it as I'm not a huge amazon fan. But...

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll keep this in mind! Wishing there was another place to buy it as I'm not a huge amazon fan. But...
You’re very kind to think of getting it - I think Barnes and Noble has it too. It you do - let me know what you think. I’m writing book 2 and figuring out if I can get a feral I’m somehow!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’re very kind to think of getting it - I think Barnes and Noble has it too. It you do - let me know what you think. I’m writing book 2 and figuring out if I can get a feral I’m somehow!
Excellent! I'll check that out. I can't really afford books these days but if I can get a hardcopy, it sounds like a must-read for me!!!:cheerleader::goldstar:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Excellent! I'll check that out. I can't really afford books these days but if I can get a hardcopy, it sounds like a must-read for me!!!:cheerleader::goldstar:
Get the ebook. It’s cheaper. I’ll be thrilled to have you read it and give me some feedback! ❤

alabamacatmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You wonderful people have blown me away. In the South people, for the most part are ignorant about pets.
we have so many pets neglected, discarded, and abandoned, sometimes harmed, and thousands euthanized just because they are now homeless. Some shelters kill all kittens and cats on intake so they do not have to dirty a cage. New employees are told "We hate to kill all the animals but it is their owners fault, not ours." All shelters are not bad but it is heartbreaking and it's hard not to dispise the people who cause such suffering. We formed AVRAL = Alabama Voters for Responsible Animal Legislation but the State Reps would not put our proposed laws on the Agenda for discussion. I cross-posted animal needs and advocacy emails for many years when I was younger and healthier. I still try to share a little when I can and I still have more rescue cats than I can admit to, as some States have limits. My Mikey is 20 & I do the best I can

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom TYSM for the info! I prefer hardcopies, though.

A alabamacatmama As a longtime advocate and networker for cats, I'm painfully aware of what you say. Ignorance runs rife in the South on this and so many, many other things, and far too many sweet lives are negatively impacted and lost because too many people choose to live in what I call The Land That Time Forgot. My extreme and eternal gratitude to you and your fellow advocates for all you do. People are ignorant until they are educated. And policies are detrimental until they're changed. Everything starts from there, and hopefully evolves. You're part of that evolution. You're also heroes for me. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.