Feral in my garage

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I’m so sorry for the delay. My senior dog had surgery :( and then my puppy went into heat since I had to delay her spay to accommodate my senior’s needs. Everyone is ok.

I’ve been trying ti get a video of Oscar but no luck yet. I will keep trying and make a point of uploading something. I so very much appreciate you all caring about us.
He is still hanging in there although no new *almost* interactions with me. I still hold out hope.

Thanks again. ❤ and I will get a video up this weekend!
Great to see Oscar again! :redheartpump: :hearthrob:

I can see that the interaction has sought of started. Having him pretty near you while you are in the catio, that's his way of interaction. As for the real interaction you expect, I think it's on the way but you just have to hang on.

Hope your doggies are doing well.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

I often don’t get updates when someone posts here so sorry for any delay in responding.

Oscar is doing fine. We’ve had no more interaction since he books it up to his loft when he hears me approaching. I did see him one time as he flew upstairs - a bit concerning since he looked HUGE. Between all the floof and not getting much exercise - perhaps he’s fat? I feed him 2 1/2 small cans a day and some dry and maybe that’s too much? I’m out there 3 times a day talking to him and scooping his litter etc.

It’s getting cold here and he seems to spend most time on the heated bed that’s on the floor. He hasn’t gone into his igloo yet but I hope he does when it gets super cold. Otherwise, he’ll be out in the open on the heated one instead of in the igloo on the heated one!

I’ve attached a picture. I circled him in yellow. Don’t mind the mess; I have a blanket on the floor hoping he’d snuggle in it but he just sits on the heated pad. I may take out the cat tree since he never uses it. He does go up to the window but not outside anymore. I think cause it’s cold!
IMG_4996.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

I often don’t get updates when someone posts here so sorry for any delay in responding.

Oscar is doing fine. We’ve had no more interaction since he books it up to his loft when he hears me approaching. I did see him one time as he flew upstairs - a bit concerning since he looked HUGE. Between all the floof and not getting much exercise - perhaps he’s fat? I feed him 2 1/2 small cans a day and some dry and maybe that’s too much? I’m out there 3 times a day talking to him and scooping his litter etc.

It’s getting cold here and he seems to spend most time on the heated bed that’s on the floor. He hasn’t gone into his igloo yet but I hope he does when it gets super cold. Otherwise, he’ll be out in the open on the heated one instead of in the igloo on the heated one!

I’ve attached a picture. I circled him in yellow. Don’t mind the mess; I have a blanket on the floor hoping he’d snuggle in it but he just sits on the heated pad. I may take out the cat tree since he never uses it. He does go up to the window but not outside anymore. I think cause it’s cold!
View attachment 464341
Awwww, thanks for UPdating us! He doesn't look big in the pic -- just very floofy, as we know he is. Extremely handsome and his fur is lustrous!
You might consider leaving the cat tree, as you may not know when he uses it, but he might. Or he might in future. It's a nice tall tree, and he may be using it as an alternate route up to his platform?
Two and a half small cans a day is 7.5 oz. which is not "too much" for a big male, Dry food is higher in calories, and I'm not sure how much he gets, but maybe you might want to cut back on it, if you're concerned about his weight. But in cold weather, all of us, whatever species, need to pack on some extra calories, as they're being used to keep us warm. A little extra padding, ditto.
You undoubtedly know that the spaces between the verticals in your cat room are made to accomodate insulation, right? Generally people will run insulation in these outbuildings and then put wallboard up and paint it. That would be a big project but it would be warmer in winter, cooler in summer and finish the building. Maybe a project for the future?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Great to hear that Oscar’s doing fine. Have you tried talking to him from outside?

Yea, I don’t think the amount that you are feeding him is too much.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awwww, thanks for UPdating us! He doesn't look big in the pic -- just very floofy, as we know he is. Extremely handsome and his fur is lustrous!
You might consider leaving the cat tree, as you may not know when he uses it, but he might. Or he might in future. It's a nice tall tree, and he may be using it as an alternate route up to his platform?
Two and a half small cans a day is 7.5 oz. which is not "too much" for a big male, Dry food is higher in calories, and I'm not sure how much he gets, but maybe you might want to cut back on it, if you're concerned about his weight. But in cold weather, all of us, whatever species, need to pack on some extra calories, as they're being used to keep us warm. A little extra padding, ditto.
You undoubtedly know that the spaces between the verticals in your cat room are made to accomodate insulation, right? Generally people will run insulation in these outbuildings and then put wallboard up and paint it. That would be a big project but it would be warmer in winter, cooler in summer and finish the building. Maybe a project for the future?
The problem with putting insulation along the walls is that the air just goes right out the top. You would normally put in a drop ceiling and then put insulation in that - but it’s his loft space. So even insulating the walls won’t keep the cold air or hot air out? That’s my understanding anyway.
He also uses the walls as a scratching post daily!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem with putting insulation along the walls is that the air just goes right out the top. You would normally put in a drop ceiling and then put insulation in that - but it’s his loft space. So even insulating the walls won’t keep the cold air or hot air out? That’s my understanding anyway.
He also uses the walls as a scratching post daily!
Yeah, what you've written is true. That's just the standard protocol for these buildings, not necessarily the best for each individual situation/scenario. Ours had insulation but we did not finish it in the time we were there. It would have been really nice if we'd stayed and finished it! It had 2 opposing windows, and we put a fan and a ceramic heater in according to seasonal needs. There was a platform built inside one of the windows and carpeting on that, so it was a nice perch with cross-ventilation. The windows were both securely screened, as well.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello Team Oscar ❤

Happy New Year to all of you and all the kitties out there.

Things here are OK. Oscar seems to be doing fine although I never see him except on video. I do go on there and sit but not as much as I should.

I still would like to trap him and get him to the vets for a check and a brush out with his immense long haired coat but I hesitate to trap him. Maybe I’m neglecting him? I’m not sure. But his poops look good and he’s eating. He hasn’t been very active and then one night this week he was up all night zooming around so maybe it comes and goes.

Anyway - here’s a video of him from a couple days ago - the night he was active.

Love sent to all of you from Connecticut.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Team Oscar ❤

Happy New Year to all of you and all the kitties out there.

Things here are OK. Oscar seems to be doing fine although I never see him except on video. I do go on there and sit but not as much as I should.

I still would like to trap him and get him to the vets for a check and a brush out with his immense long haired coat but I hesitate to trap him. Maybe I’m neglecting him? I’m not sure. But his poops look good and he’s eating. He hasn’t been very active and then one night this week he was up all night zooming around so maybe it comes and goes.

Anyway - here’s a video of him from a couple days ago - the night he was active.

Love sent to all of you from Connecticut.
A very Happy New Year to you too..... and your furbabies

Don't see a video though

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I really hope I’m not neglecting him. He could have bad teeth or matted hair etc. maybe I should start trying to feed him in the trap. I just hate to stress him and tend to want to leave him alone.
You have other kitties inside the house,right?

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have other kitties inside the house,right?
Yes; 2 indoor cats and 2 dogs? Why do you ask? I had him in my old house for 4 days and he didn't move in 4 days. The household noises totally stressed him out since hearing dogs barking and walking around so close was too much. Now he is 75 ft from the house in his shed so while he hears noises outside, he is up safe in his loft. He heads there whenever I come in or when there is noise outside. He feels safe up there for sure.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Happy New Year to you, Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom , and Oscar too.

Thanks for posting the video. A great way to start the year!

As for you neglecting Oscar, he's such a unique cat, that he truly seems most content being on his own. As long as he's eating well, using the litter box, and being active from time to time, I don't think you need to worry. However, putting food in the trap on occasion, just to get him comfortable eating there might not be a bad idea, for when some day you do decide to take him for a vet checkup / grooming.