Feral in my garage

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Happy New Year to you, Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom , and Oscar too.

Thanks for posting the video. A great way to start the year!

As for you neglecting Oscar, he's such a unique cat, that he truly seems most content being on his own. As long as he's eating well, using the litter box, and being active from time to time, I don't think you need to worry. However, putting food in the trap on occasion, just to get him comfortable eating there might not be a bad idea, for when some day you do decide to take him for a vet checkup / grooming.
The only problem is that I put the trap in there a couple months ago in one side. Now he won’t use the platforms on that side. He steers clear 😩

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes; 2 indoor cats and 2 dogs? Why do you ask? I had him in my old house for 4 days and he didn't move in 4 days. The household noises totally stressed him out since hearing dogs barking and walking around so close was too much. Now he is 75 ft from the house in his shed so while he hears noises outside, he is up safe in his loft. He heads there whenever I come in or when there is noise outside. He feels safe up there for sure.
No particular reason- was pretty sure about the other cats and kinda remembered doggies too so figured just easier to ask rather than scrolling scrolling scrolling-lol

Can I ask what kind of dogs you have ( no particular reason except I do love dogs as well- especially the large breeds)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting! Been thinking about you all. Oscar looks massively floofy and very well :yess:
I don't think you need to worry, either. He's eating well and looks very good. Some cats just aren't social. Most cats will be, given the chance; but like us, it depends on the circumstances of our lives. Oscar has lived the "wild life" and he's undoubtedly used to fending for himself.
Yes, I would think he would absolutely want to avoid the dogs.
Wishing you all a safe, happy and prosPURRous 2024:redheartpump::blackcat2::redheartpump::goldstar:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to have to disagree. Matted fur and bad teeth can painful and can also cause other issues. Every feral cat person has the same situation, but a vet visit needs to happen. The cat comes away from it healthier, and gets over the stress. They live in the moment and although of course they have memories, they don't hold grudges.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom
I do agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom about going to the Vet-when was the last time he was to the Vet

I know it's hard,I keep saying I'm going to start seriously working with Timmy to get him in and out of the carrier and I still have not- he's already inside 6months now and thsts fine but one year will creep up very quickly he'll need a check up by then,definitely needs his nails trimmed and hopefully won't NEED a Vet sooner....

It's what we signed up for,right?

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

Happy new year to you all.
Nothing has changed with our boy. He is fully ensconced in his loft space when I come in. When it’s warm enough out - I go in and sit and talk to him but no change. In the mornings sometimes I can see his little head up there and I talk to him but if he becomes aware that I can see him - he moves from sight.

it is what it is. Still eating and popping and I go in there 3 x a day to feed him. Change the litter 2x a week and scoop. I would like to put the trap in the middle of the shed with the door up and see if he will go near it - but with the weather often cold - I don’t want him to stay away from the heated igloo. So I will wait.
Sorry there’s no breakthrough to report.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

Happy new year to you all.
Nothing has changed with our boy. He is fully ensconced in his loft space when I come in. When it’s warm enough out - I go in and sit and talk to him but no change. In the mornings sometimes I can see his little head up there and I talk to him but if he becomes aware that I can see him - he moves from sight.

it is what it is. Still eating and popping and I go in there 3 x a day to feed him. Change the litter 2x a week and scoop. I would like to put the trap in the middle of the shed with the door up and see if he will go near it - but with the weather often cold - I don’t want him to stay away from the heated igloo. So I will wait.
Sorry there’s no breakthrough to report.
Thanks for the update, though, and we are all glad, I'm sure, to know Oscar is doing well. Maybe when it gets warmer you can try the trap -- maybe even against a wall with soft bedding inside?

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A trap with soft bedding won’t work since he has soft bedding in his loft, a cub with soft bedding on the main floor, two cat beds he never uses, and a heated soft cat pad. Also a couch that he has never gone on! I’ve put paper bags and boxes in there but he doesn’t play with them - not sure he knows what to do. He likes to bat the balls and sound toys around and a giant hawk feather I found.

I will try it when it gets warmer. Would love to have a vet look him over when it gets warmer.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A trap with soft bedding won’t work since he has soft bedding in his loft, a cub with soft bedding on the main floor, two cat beds he never uses, and a heated soft cat pad. Also a couch that he has never gone on! I’ve put paper bags and boxes in there but he doesn’t play with them - not sure he knows what to do. He likes to bat the balls and sound toys around and a giant hawk feather I found.

I will try it when it gets warmer. Would love to have a vet look him over when it gets warmer.
Yes, understood, and yes, a vet check would be good, though it looks as though Oscar is thriving! :redheartpump: :blackcat2::redheartpump::yess:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good morning,

Thanks for inquiring about my boy. There are no updates except that I may be moving again. While Oscar has a great home, I am not too happy with my home and am looking at houses in Maine. I almost didn't since it would mean figuring out a new place for Oscar, but I have to take care of myself first and then figure out how to bring him. I can't even think about it but just have to do one step at a time.

When I do find a house, I wouldn't be able to move his shed and so would have to buy and install a new shed. I really have to find a good carpenter or cat loving handyman wherever I go.

I just have to pray that it will all work out if I do find a house, and that I can trap him and get him to another decent enclosure for him. Don't worry, I will never abandon him. I love him. He hasn't made any more attempts to even see me, as he stays up in his loft out of site whenever I come in. I always tell him I love him and talk to him but no more daring adventures on his part trying to engage with me.

One step at a time. I wish I could just lift up his shed and take it with me but I talked to a building person and they said it would be too difficult and expensive. I don't even have another house yet and so I am getting way ahead of myself. That said, I worry about him all the time.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's never too soon to make the trap a part of his living space. You could just set it in there for a few days. Then open it up and just leave it. Then start putting a few treats inside the unset trap. This way when you are ready to move, the trap will be familiar to him.

You definitely must take care of yourself and your happiness. Oscar will adapt to his new home. Sometimes starting from scratch is better. You can make it exactly as you need. If you have it built from scratch you could even add electricity.

Thanks for checking in and keep us update.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's never too soon to make the trap a part of his living space. You could just set it in there for a few days. Then open it up and just leave it. Then start putting a few treats inside the unset trap. This way when you are ready to move, the trap will be familiar to him.

You definitely must take care of yourself and your happiness. Oscar will adapt to his new home. Sometimes starting from scratch is better. You can make it exactly as you need. If you have it built from scratch you could even add electricity.

Thanks for checking in and keep us update.
Thanks. I do have the trap in his "house" but it's on one side. Been there for months closed and once I put it in there, he stopped using that side to go up to his loft. He is a very smart boy. Too smart.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that Oscar is doing well. I am helping a friend look for a house and it can be stressful, but it is also exciting and fun. I wish you luck in your search!

Depending on what you find, if your new house has an extra room of a decent size, you could keep Oscar inside. You could build a catio right outside that room that he can access through a window. When I had two cats in a safe room for several months, I had two gates at the door and could easily get into the room without fear of an escape! I think if Oscar was inside, you would have fewer worries about temperature and safety. You wouldn't have to trek outside in bad weather to take care of him and it might be easier to become buddies! Just a thought!