Feral cat to inside cat

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you do a little room swapping for short periods? Give your others a chance to go in there and get to know Robbies scent very well and visa versa?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried that but one of the other cats is also feral and I can't catch her to put her in a different room so Robbie can explore the rest of the house. When I did that before she charged Robbie and cornered him so he couldn't escape. It was traumatic for him and since then he does not want to leave the bedroom. I have been swapping bedding tho.

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking what I need to do is get one cat at a time to go into the bedroom but I tried that with Newman and he hissed and when I tried it with Tommy it was a fight. Robbie grabbed Tommy by the neck to control him. Did not do any harm but since then Robbie hides whenever I leave the bedroom. He is afraid of the other cats.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't you mention one of your cats were visiting in the room with Robbie or am I thinking of someone else? Who's the most friendly ,,chilled of your clowder- perhaps you can begin with brief interactions
.... I always do one at a time,I didn't let my Timmy be overwhelmed by 4 kitties even though it's a bit different becausd his enclosure is smack in the middle of the busiest part of the house.

But taking it real slow as you are is good for Robbie-he will let you know what hd os up for when in his safe place long enough for it to be a comfortable established territory,he will retreat to it when hes had enough or is not ready for introductions

You've got to play this by ear- the others will be just fine even though they'd like to get in there,you might want to try one and see how they do

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes,it's a bit more challenging when you cannot pick someone up( yet)- From what you've explained you are probably better of bring one in inside a crate or big carrier-see if Robbie is willing to approach, after a few times he'll understand the one in the crate is contained and he's no threat

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bella was charged Timmy and chasing him into his enclosure for a "few months"!!!!I'd tell her to get out of the enclosure and she was pretty fixated on him .Now ,this is a big 12 lb cat and she's a teeny ,barely 7 pounder- but he was not yet confident with established territiry,once he expanded that territory he stopped running- surprised Bella,lol It's all about territory,once they feel confident they learn to share the space,cats prefer not to have confrontations- even the most territorial cats would rather avoid if they must share space

Under your supervision you just have to distract whoever is fixated to avoid the next step- which is usually charging

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Didn't you mention one of your cats were visiting in the room with Robbie or am I thinking of someone else? Who's the most friendly ,,chilled of your clowder- perhaps you can begin with brief interactions
.... I always do one at a time,I didn't let my Timmy be overwhelmed by 4 kitties even though it's a bit different becausd his enclosure is smack in the middle of the busiest part of the house.

But taking it real slow as you are is good for Robbie-he will let you know what hd os up for when in his safe place long enough for it to be a comfortable established territory,he will retreat to it when hes had enough or is not ready for introductions

You've got to play this by ear- the others will be just fine even though they'd like to get in there,you might want to try one and see how they do
My old cat Malia is in the bedroom with Robbie. She is free to come and go as she pleases. I could not leave her out because she has always slept on my bed at night. She and Robbie ignore each other. She is not friendly with any other cat or with Robbie. She and Robbie simply tolerate each other.

So how long did it take before you could integrate Timmy with the other cats?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
My old cat Malia is in the bedroom with Robbie. She is free to come and go as she pleases. I could not leave her out because she has always slept on my bed at night. She and Robbie ignore each other. She is not friendly with any other cat or with Robbie. She and Robbie simply tolerate each other.

So how long did it take before you could integrate Timmy with the other cats?
Oh okay- thsts the one I was thinking about "Malia"- but that's good,it's good thst Robbie is not a trouble maker,lol Thsts how my Graycie is,she pretty much does her own thing so she's a good girl but just likes to be to herself-sweet girl

Well,Bella was the first one to venture into the enclosure but not to make friends-she wanted to eat his food,,use his litter box and stake her claim....Max wanted to be friends and Timmy wanted his Sami but since the role reversal of Timmy being in Samis territory Sami was not having it- hissed and growled until last month ( so 5 months for Samis acceptance,6 months for Bella- Graycie minds her business and Max wanted to be best pals from the get go...understand though thst Timmy was a true feral & a rogue,he never interacted with another cat except all out fur flying cat fights if a stray dared to cross his path....so Timmy is only now just learning how to play,to be groomed etc...Robbie doesn't act like an aggressive wild child so I imagine he'll be a bit easier.....

Most ferals take alot of time to be fully integrated within an existing indoor clowded-Id say roughly 6 months to a year to where they are comfortable enough to start forming relationships .... just don't rush or force them on each other-strays are different,they've been inside and they have a less difficult time but in every situation each cat moves at their own pace ,you truly have to follow their lead patiently

I know your worried about the others not being in your room and sleeping with you as they were all used to but hey,everyone has to compromise a little at first- mine were all used to sleeping with me too and suddenly I'm sleeping on the couch to be with Timmy -and then their meal place changes too- I couldn't bring Timmy to the kitchen so I brought everyone out to him..... now I'm working on getting everyone back to the kitchen for meal time and Timmy's the first one in there with Max,lol'- every one else is a little confused but we are working at getting things back to normal now and for MY convenience- back in my bed and back to the kitchen meals....

Your babies will be back in your bedroom eventually- you can start by feeding everyone on opposite sides of the door to begin - that's how I start ' very spaced out too ,everyone where they are most comfortable ( eg:Timmy & Max eat close to one another- Bella , Sami near each other and Graycie likes a little space from everyone but does not like to eat alone....)

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding them their wet food on both sides of the screen door all along. I know it will take a long time for them to establish relationships but I have to admit I'm anxious for them to co-habitate in peace, hopefully in the next four months as I will then be going on a cruise with my granddaughter and it will be easier for someone else to take care of the cats if they are all together in the whole space.

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today it just happened that the 3 other cats were in the office with me so I closed them in and let Robbie explore the rest of the house.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding them their wet food on both sides of the screen door all along. I know it will take a long time for them to establish relationships but I have to admit I'm anxious for them to co-habitate in peace, hopefully in the next four months as I will then be going on a cruise with my granddaughter and it will be easier for someone else to take care of the cats if they are all together in the whole space.
I would imagine in 4 months you'll be at that stage- I think it was about 3months I felt comfortable enough to go out with them all together,Timmy pretty much stayed in his cubby if I was not in the house - now he's out & about when I'm not home but I seriously doubt he'd eat his wet meals if someone came to feed,he'd hide when theyd come in....but hes not willing to be seen by any humans yet,getting close though-that would take alot and I don't have enough visitors to get him used to other people.....the more confident he gets in his home the braver he'll be- lol

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still keeping Malia and Robbie separated from the others but I feed wet food to all of them together every morning and I watch to make sure none of them stalk each other. I think it will take a long time to fully integrate. Hopefully can do by the time I go on cruise in May!

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would imagine in 4 months you'll be at that stage- I think it was about 3months I felt comfortable enough to go out with them all together,Timmy pretty much stayed in his cubby if I was not in the house - now he's out & about when I'm not home but I seriously doubt he'd eat his wet meals if someone came to feed,he'd hide when theyd come in....but hes not willing to be seen by any humans yet,getting close though-that would take alot and I don't have enough visitors to get him used to other people.....the more confident he gets in his home the braver he'll be- lol
Robbie already lets my grandchildren pet him. They are here every Wednesday after school because they get out early on Wednesdays so Robbie is getting used to them.

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there a way to tell when existing cats will be accepting of new cat? I've been feeding them together without issue but not sure about opening the screen door to allow all of them to intermingle. Another problem is that Robbie cries when i'm not in his room with him and that means less attention for the other cats. Sigh!

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't tell which cats I can trust to be kind to Robbie and which ones are still untrustworthy. No one is hissing or yowling but Robbie is not comfortable around the other cats.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't tell which cats I can trust to be kind to Robbie and which ones are still untrustworthy. No one is hissing or yowling but Robbie is not comfortable around the other cats.
Well that remains to be seen- ya have to try to see what transpires,it sure would be nice to know who's going to be what way and who's going to be another but after ALL THESE YEARS I'm usually very surprised by the outcome - lol

Try one at a time ,have you taken anyone in Robbies room inside of a carrier or crate?You still have the carrier sitting in there ,yes? Good to test the waters one at a time and see how each one goes- even then when everyone's together they will act differently to like with redirected aggressions --- such a process,uhhh sometimes I get tired myself and just say" well your gonna have to work that out yourself today Missy!"

For months my little bossy Bella was chasing Timmy into his enclosure and being a complete territorial brat! Well,as he got more and more confidence and familiar with his expanded ' territory' one day he just stopped running!

Now the tables are turned and little Bella is trying very hard to be in Timmys good Graces - "err,ya reap what you sow Bella" lol But the tide will shift again in time because being " fresh" to each other is not pleasing to the big boss( me).... Time and patience ,correction and reward,inch by inch....

You've got to test the waters though,end on a good note and remember it's not really important how long of a time the spend together being cordial,just reward the good behavior and end the visit before anything erupts- even if they get treats in close proximity and then remove one if someone gives ' the stare' ..... Ignoring one another is good,don't force them to interact

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had them all come into my bedroom which is now Robbie’s room and they are all fine. But when i try letting all of them be together in the rest of the house, that doesnt seem as good, mostly because Robbie is uncomfortable and two of the others seem to take advantage of that and make him more uncomfortable. But i keep having them share spaces.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had them all come into my bedroom which is now Robbie’s room and they are all fine. But when i try letting all of them be together in the rest of the house, that doesnt seem as good, mostly because Robbie is uncomfortable and two of the others seem to take advantage of that and make him more uncomfortable. But i keep having them share spaces.
Yes,that is what's going on until Robbie is comfortable with the entire house

You're doing great,they're doing great.... you know what you're doing,I'll keep reminding you that you do know what you're doing- lol..... you're such a sweetie pie❤

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
In this case, let them all come into Robbie’s room and this will make Robbie comfortable. If Robbie is ready to go to the rest of the house, he will and if he dos like being too long at other parts of the house, he’ll retreat back to his room. Just let him move around at his own time and even if he does not, I think it’s ok but at least he has the option to do so.

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am becoming very discouraged that all of these cats will ever get along! None of my quickie intros have gone well. Keeping them all separate from each other is a pain. I've swapped spaces and beds and fed wet food together but any time they come in direct contact there is squealing and poor Robbie runs to the bedroom for cover. On the other hand if I try to let one of the others in the bedroom, Robbie growls so I have to put the other one back out. I have only four months to get this done.