Feral cat to inside cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sigh! As I said before, I think this whole process is more trying for me than it is for them!

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today I was able to keep the screen door open and go in and out of the bedroom to get things done around the house. All the cats were good for most of the morning (5 am til almost noon) before I had to separate. Tomorrow my handyman is coming to rip carpet out of my bedroom so I will need to close Newman and Tommy up in the office and hope Robbie will go to the living room and not be too freaked out!

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if things are getting worse with the two other male cats' attitude toward Robbie. Newman is definitely threatening and I can't tell whether Tommy is a threat or wants to play. Robbie does seem more concerned about Newman. Robbie is still afraid to leave the bedroom and he cries if I leave him alone in there for very long. Sigh!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if things are getting worse with the two other male cats' attitude toward Robbie. Newman is definitely threatening and I can't tell whether Tommy is a threat or wants to play. Robbie does seem more concerned about Newman. Robbie is still afraid to leave the bedroom and he cries if I leave him alone in there for very long. Sigh!
About a month ago ( maybe more?) My Bella was just awful to Timmy,consistently I had to distract &/or reprimand,then it clicked within her little cat mind.... now the tide has changed and now Timmy is the one who is being distracted and corrected- it takes time,they go through adjustments,just be consistent

It's okay he's not left the bedroom-hell begin to realize it's safe and you are not going to allow Newman to misbehave...the closer he gets with you he's going to see you'll protect him

They do figure out who's in charge,they are pretty smart little buggers

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He does know that I will always protect him. He has watched me haul Newman out of the bedroom when he started acting threatening. Right now I'm in the process of having the bedroom tiled which is going to be more trauma but for my health I had to remove the carpet. Once the bedroom is tiled and furniture is back in there, I plan to put Newman and Tommy in carriers, bring them into the bedroom, and chase Robbie into the other part of the house. Then I won't have to spend as much time as possible in the bedroom. But I will be sleeping in there at night. I do think it's important for them to know that they don't own certain portions of the house and I would do this as long as it takes for Robbie to get comfortable with the other parts of the house. What do you think? Is that a good idea? Robbie was originally curious about the other parts of the house but now he's too afraid of Newman to venture out of the bedroom.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's a good idea ,also to have them in their carriers with him in there as well...yes,it's a plan and I understand completely about getting the house in order-I'm doing similar stuff myself---it's been 7months of my living in Timmy's space and centering everything around that- time to get my living space back now as it's been quite uncomfortable..... go for it👍❤

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long have you had Timmy inside your house now?

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So it's been 7 months and Timmy is still isolated from your other cats?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So it's been 7 months and Timmy is still isolated from your other cats?
No- he's out n about with everyone- been a couple of months now

I even go out all day ,they're all fine- now Bella is trying to be friends but Timmy's being pretty tough
But they're fine,they'll be okay too

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think all but one of my cats are accepting of Robbie but he is still too afraid to be integrated because of the one bad cat. Can this ever be resolved?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I think all but one of my cats are accepting of Robbie but he is still too afraid to be integrated because of the one bad cat. Can this ever be resolved?
Yes,I believe so- I don't believe you have a " bad cat" - he's just territorial and is taking longer than the others to understand his behavior is not pleasing to you nor is Robbie going anywhere- does he redirect aggression or is only behaving a certain way towards Robbie?

Robbie probably chicken until he is comfortable with the whole of the house- I know it seems like a catch 22 because he prevents Robbie from expanding his territory.... it can be daunting and discouraging but you are in charge- Robbie will get his courage with your help and reassurance but some 'scaredy cats" require alot of coaxing and help to overcome their fears- is it possible,you know me by know..... of course it is,when they trust you to protect them they will follow,takes alot of time building those relationships... but " relationship" is what makes the difference

I've got a scaredy cat and funnily enough she's the one who gave Timmy the hardest time..... but all of them,when frightened don't run for cover if I tell them it's oksy,hold them or I'm available to run behind.....I'm not some magical miracle worker,it's many many hours of attention and reassurance,praises and reward

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I replaced the door to my bedroom where Robbie resides with a screen door. Newman is trying to chew his way through the screen (it's not metal). Tommy is still obsessed with Robbie but now Newman is also. However, Tommy doesn't seem as aggressive. I think he might ultimately be a playmate for Robbie. I'm worried that I won't get them all integrated before my trip and that will mean extra work for pet sitter.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
... I'm worried that I won't get them all integrated before my trip and that will mean extra work for pet sitter.
Would your pet sitter be willing to keep Newman and Tommy while you're away? Or do you have a cat loving friend who might have an extra room available? I keep a friend's two cats in my home (separate from my own cats) whenever her family travels... usually just for a couple of weeks, but they were with me for 4 months during the pandemic!

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! Four months is a lot! Pet sitter would be at my house. It's just extra work making sure they are separate. I feed them wet food all together but after they've eaten, I have to separate because Newman starts stalking Robbie. I wish I could find someone to take Newman long enough that I could get the others living together. Then maybe just keep Newman separate instead of Robbie.

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe boarding Newman for a while would work and maybe then he wouldn't be as territorial.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe boarding Newman for a while would work and maybe then he wouldn't be as territorial.
No,not a resolve- why put Newman through that?

Correct me if I'm wrong but your stress and nervousness about the present dynamic is solely because you desperately want it all worked out before you go away- so what if it's not sorted by then?

Yes,in a perfect scenario they all get along fabulously so you can go away with Peace of mind but it's probably not going to work out that way though eventually it will be well- if you could just relax,let everything happen as it will and try not to stress over what the pet sitter will have to do you'd be much better off taking one day at a time

You're in a very Blessed situation to have someone willing to come and care for the kitties and she'll work it out and follow your instructions- she's actually going to be staying at your house? WoW!

How long til you leave now?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Four months is a lot! Pet sitter would be at my house. It's just extra work making sure they are separate. I feed them wet food all together but after they've eaten, I have to separate because Newman starts stalking Robbie. I wish I could find someone to take Newman long enough that I could get the others living together. Then maybe just keep Newman separate instead of Robbie.
I know,right ? 4 MONTHS?!!!! Wish poolcat poolcat lived near me,WOW!Mighty kind