Feral cat to inside cat

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The catio is where I have coffee every morning and where he get most of his petting so it should be a happy place.
Totally off topic, but I love your patio colors. That would be my happy place, for sure!

So glad that Robbie is doing well. All my cats that showed up starving have become heavy. They eat like they're getting ready for the next famine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since failed attempt to trap Robbie in the carrier, I realized that he's too fat for the regular trap so I got him the Fat Cat Trap but I can't use it yet because of another issue. The other night Robbie seemed to want to spend the whole evening in my bedroom but I didn't want the raccoons in my bedroom when I went to sleep so I closed the catio door. I hoped Robbie would calm down in time but he was doing his whining moaning growl continuously so I had to open the catio and let him out. He wouldn't go onto the catio/patio the whole next day. But he's a quick study. Last night a big raccoon family showed up and were in the catio so I chased them out and closed the catio door. I put Robbie's favorite bed under the concrete bench out on the open patio and that's where he slept last night instead of on the patio/catio. This morning I opened the catio and let him in for his wet food and then he spent another 45 minutes or so in the bedroom with me. He still is wary of the motion on the TV (the sound has never bothered him) but he's not afraid to come in the bedroom with the TV on anymore as long as I'm with him. I'm second guessing whether Robbie will ever be ok with being confined to the house and catio. For the next week or so I need him to understand that the catio is open during the day and closed at night to keep the raccoons out. Then maybe he'll let me close him in at night knowing that he'll be out during the day. I have to get that accomplished before I think about trying to make him an inside cat. And then there's the whole issue of whether the inside cats and Robbie will get along without creating behavior issues like spraying. It's a long term process!

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I need to accomplish the goal of closing him in at night and letting him out during the day before I start working on trying to make him an inside cat. I don't think he's ready for that yet. The night before last when I tried to close him in the house at night (which would have been nice and warm for him), he went out to the catio and tried to dig under the wire fencing by sticking his paws through the wire and digging a hole outside the wire fencing.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Since failed attempt to trap Robbie in the carrier, I realized that he's too fat for the regular trap so I got him the Fat Cat Trap but I can't use it yet because of another issue. The other night Robbie seemed to want to spend the whole evening in my bedroom but I didn't want the raccoons in my bedroom when I went to sleep so I closed the catio door. I hoped Robbie would calm down in time but he was doing his whining moaning growl continuously so I had to open the catio and let him out. He wouldn't go onto the catio/patio the whole next day. But he's a quick study. Last night a big raccoon family showed up and were in the catio so I chased them out and closed the catio door. I put Robbie's favorite bed under the concrete bench out on the open patio and that's where he slept last night instead of on the patio/catio. This morning I opened the catio and let him in for his wet food and then he spent another 45 minutes or so in the bedroom with me. He still is wary of the motion on the TV (the sound has never bothered him) but he's not afraid to come in the bedroom with the TV on anymore as long as I'm with him. I'm second guessing whether Robbie will ever be ok with being confined to the house and catio. For the next week or so I need him to understand that the catio is open during the day and closed at night to keep the raccoons out. Then maybe he'll let me close him in at night knowing that he'll be out during the day. I have to get that accomplished before I think about trying to make him an inside cat. And then there's the whole issue of whether the inside cats and Robbie will get along without creating behavior issues like spraying. It's a long term process!
Of course he will be okay with it,he'll be okay with whatever you decide and stick to your guns...... look at Timmy ,outside ,unsocialized Wildman for 7 yrs- doesn't wanna even go out on the patio unless I'm out there....

Alot of people try to transition outside ferals to the indoors and they think by giving them the option of both inside or out that it's going to be easier- it isnt,thdy are going to choose what they are familiar with.... and them you hear:" he/she just doesn't like it inside"

This is why the proper way to transition (& /or relocate) is containment or a small confined space ( bathroom/kennel/crate/enclosure)- minimum of 30 days..... then introductions may or may not begin and acclimatijg to bigger spaces begins - moving at their pace- everything at their pace but not the first 30 days ,no options except establishing indoor environment as their little territory for starters

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know he likes it better inside but he doesn't trust it or the other cats. I'm sure you are right but listening to him howl was heartbreaking. I have an appointment with mobile vet to come on December 6 to test him and I will try to get him in the trap by then. Unfortunately I could not get an early morning appointment and I feed him in the trap before sun up. The vets are booked way out.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I know he likes it better inside but he doesn't trust it or the other cats. I'm sure you are right but listening to him howl was heartbreaking. I have an appointment with mobile vet to come on December 6 to test him and I will try to get him in the trap by then. Unfortunately I could not get an early morning appointment and I feed him in the trap before sun up. The vets are booked way out.
I do understand but the howling stops when they don't get their way - I was practically laying inside the enclosure when Timmy started howling-Im in a Condo and that was not going to go over well - ROFL..... My response was ' what howling'? I didn't hear any howling":flail:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yea, it’s a good idea to keep him in. Since he’s quite used to being indoors, you can train him to stay indoors at night and let him out to the catio in the day and slowly keep the catio timing shorter till he finds that staying indoors will be better.

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a plan. Tomorrow I will call the vets again and then I'll work around that appointment.

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The sad thing is that he went out to the catio and tried to dig his way out. I worry about him hurting himself which is why I wanted to first get him used to being closed in at night. I think once that is done everything else will be easy. I'm going to move the screen door between my bedroom and his little room with the doggie door to where my bedroom door is that leads out into the hall. Then he will have my bedroom all to himself until the inside cats get used to him being further into the house. In the past when I introduced new cats I spent a good 6 weeks with the new cat in my office with the screen door to separate and then I gradually traded spaces and bedding before giving one established cat at a time access to the new cat. By the time all of that was done they were all friends. But the other rescues weren't as feral as Robbie. Robbie is very interested in the other cats and I think he would love the companionship. I just need to make sure they accept him and right now Tommy is a concern but I think he will come around if the others do.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
The sad thing is that he went out to the catio and tried to dig his way out. I worry about him hurting himself which is why I wanted to first get him used to being closed in at night. I think once that is done everything else will be easy. I'm going to move the screen door between my bedroom and his little room with the doggie door to where my bedroom door is that leads out into the hall. Then he will have my bedroom all to himself until the inside cats get used to him being further into the house. In the past when I introduced new cats I spent a good 6 weeks with the new cat in my office with the screen door to separate and then I gradually traded spaces and bedding before giving one established cat at a time access to the new cat. By the time all of that was done they were all friends. But the other rescues weren't as feral as Robbie. Robbie is very interested in the other cats and I think he would love the companionship. I just need to make sure they accept him and right now Tommy is a concern but I think he will come around if the others do.
I think he'll come around as long as you stick to what you do and move at their pace

Bella was terrorizing Timmy,half his size,one tough son of a gun stands up to my cats bigger than him abd yet tye pipsqueek sends him fleeing to his cubby----now she's not even interested anymore and trying to be friends,Timmy gets his smacks in as she goes by.....if you're " top cat" they all aim to please Mama!😻❤

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I think once that is done everything else will be easy. I'm going to move the screen door between my bedroom and his little room with the doggie door to where my bedroom door is that leads out into the hall. Then he will have my bedroom all to himself until the inside cats get used to him being further into the house.
In that case, try to get used to being closed in at night and hope that the plan works.

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think he'll come around as long as you stick to what you do and move at their pace

Bella was terrorizing Timmy,half his size,one tough son of a gun stands up to my cats bigger than him abd yet tye pipsqueek sends him fleeing to his cubby----now she's not even interested anymore and trying to be friends,Timmy gets his smacks in as she goes by.....if you're " top cat" they all aim to please Mama!😻❤
I will keep you informed of our progress. I am determined to get him inside. He is so dang smart and I adore him. I think he adores me too!