Feral Cat Throwing Up

alycia12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Jack who i picked up as a feral almost 2 years ago , he is about 3 , 3.5 , has been throwing up past 3 to 4 weeks all of the sudden . It's weird it's never after eating . Always hours later after eating . He acts fine though throughout the day , not lathargic and always comes when it's eating time or treat time in evening .. I have 3 other non feral cats. Jack is very comfortable in the house with the other cats . He pretty much is comfortable with me . He comes on bed and sleeps , I can touch and pet him , sometimes he still very cautious . Getting him to a vet however is not that easy . He went went animal warden had him . Shots and got fixed . Any advice with this would be great . Just can't figure out the sudden throwing up .

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be food intolerance. Did you change his food around the time it started? Do you feed canned or dry or a mix? I had a cat who would randomly throw up. Finally figured out she couldn't tolerate the canned fish flavored foods.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Without more to go on, he might have worms. They will cause cats to throw up and isn't necessarily affiliated with eating. Has he been dewormed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alycia12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be food intolerance. Did you change his food around the time it started? Do you feed canned or dry or a mix? I had a cat who would randomly throw up. Finally figured out she couldn't tolerate the canned fish flavored foods.
Well I have not changed the food except othe morning when I tried a different hard food.. He threw up with in 10 minutes of that... but other than that no.. that happened to my one cat about 3 years ago. Threw up every time , one of my coworkers said fish cat food could be hard on stomach . Changed to no fix cat food and no throw up.

alycia12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Without more to go on, he might have worms. They will cause cats to throw up and isn't necessarily affiliated with eating. Has he been dewormed?
You know I honestly don't know if he has been dewormed or not . When I trapped him almost 2 years ago animal control did take him to APL , got fixed and shots.. just don't know exactly

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he an indoor-outdoor cat? If so, anytime he is outside he can get into something that will give him worms - one example would be him eating mice...

alycia12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has not been an outside cat for almost 2 years . Strictly indoor now . He was born feral and I trapped him at about a year old . So obviously he was out for his first year of life .. I did just buy hard cat food for sensitive skin and stomach . See what happens

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think a vet visit is in order to make sure everything is ok. Especially since it sounds like he only had very basic care when he was trapped and nothing since. Once he is given a clean bill of health then you can look into options. Changing food, trying probiotics etc... Also I know it's gross but can you describe what the vomit looks like? Or even better post a picture? That will help us determine if it's hairballs, bile, food etc...