Feline Hyperesthesia?

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I stumbled on this trying to see what else could be going on with my cat. I noticed the front of his chest will twitch or pulse, hard to describe and I am not sure if this is down to purring or his heart issues. I will have to ask the vet at his next visit. Anyways, I stumbled on something called "Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome" and never heard of it before but I think he actually has this. It has happened maybe 15 or 20 times over the last 2 years. Almost always when he is getting ready to eat. He will start twitching, lick at his side and run like someone is chasing him and tickling him.

Does anyone have a cat that has this? Could it be tied to his allergies or FIV? It never lasts long. Maybe 60 seconds to a minute and a half and doesn't happen often. I looked into it to make sure it wasn't something serious after seeing a few videos. I had no idea it was even a thing until now. I would joke and call it his "tickle fits" thinking it may have just been his sensitive back hairs he doesn't like being touched.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, if he has allergies, it is probably from that. Feline hyperesthesia is a diagnosis of exclusion. So you have to do all the tests for everything else before you have that diagnosis It is also often overdiagnosed.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I did have a cat who was dxed with FHS. I can't say that your cat does not have it, but when Chelsea went into those episodes it was almost more like a seizure during which she focused on her tail, trying to kill it seemingly, eyes got big and dark and she had no idea who I was. I could not touch her and had to try to snap her out of it by touching her with a pillow or animal handling gloves.

Get videos of what your cat does and show your vet.