Feeling A Bit Nervous

Olympia7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This will be the first day I have to administer the subcutaneous fluid therapy, I hate needles, and I don't want to screw up...I hope Simone is a good girl for me while it's being done!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Olympia7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you been taught or shown on how to proceed?
I felt the same when I first did it, but a few days later it was a walk in the park :)
Yes, the vet did show me, just nervous I'll forget one of the steps...and I was reading somewhere that you are supposed to refrigerate the fluid, she didn't tell me to do that so do you know if this is true? or is it ok to store it at room temp? Also, did you use an i.v. pole or a hanger or is there another way to hang it?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that first time is the hardest. Make sure you slip it UNDER the skin, between the skin and the muscle, NOT straight down. You'll feel a little resistance putting it through the skin, but after that it should slide smoothly. Make sure you have a sterile needle, or sterilize the one you are using every time, by soaking it in alcohol and air drying it without handling it. Research it on the internet.The cat has to be still so the first time you should have someone helping you hold her still. I felt sick to my stomach with my first injection, and so nervous I was shaking. But repetition brings familiarity, and now it is easy. It has to be done, it may save your cat's life. I'll pray you find strength, I have confidence you will, keep us posted! Welcome to the site, any problems at all give us a post! PS We have never refrigerated solution, read on the bag.It should be administered at room temperature, cold would be very uncomfortable. A hanger, like a pole or even a knob on a cabinet or door can be used to hang it, but just holding the bag elevated with none hand works, it does take a while. That is another reason it is good to have a second person present. You might want to research it on the internet to ease your mind, bless you for being so concerned, good questions! All the luck!

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the vet did show me, just nervous I'll forget one of the steps...and I was reading somewhere that you are supposed to refrigerate the fluid, she didn't tell me to do that so do you know if this is true? or is it ok to store it at room temp? Also, did you use an i.v. pole or a hanger or is there another way to hang it?
I don't think that refrigerating the fluid is right.
I always made the fluid warmer, because a cold fluid lowers the body temperature of the pet who receives the fliud. So, in order to avoid damage, I think that a fluid at 35°C is perfect, the pet won't feel the difference or discomfort.
You can use whatever hanger you have to hang the bottle or sack at a higher point than the cat.

I never used this technique, because I used a couple of large syringes, 50 ml each. And a butterfly needle.
So I slowly pushed the fluid under the skin, it took much shorter time than the hung bottle :)

EDIT: I would like to explain it for you step by step, but it isn't allowed by the Forum rules. So I hope it is clear enough for you.

Olympia7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, that first time is the hardest. Make sure you slip it UNDER the skin, between the skin and the muscle, NOT straight down. You'll feel a little resistance putting it through the skin, but after that it should slide smoothly. Make sure you have a sterile needle, or sterilize the one you are using every time, by soaking it in alcohol and air drying it without handling it. Research it on the internet.The cat has to be still so the first time you should have someone helping you hold her still. I felt sick to my stomach with my first injection, and so nervous I was shaking. But repetition brings familiarity, and now it is easy. It has to be done, it may save your cat's life. I'll pray you find strength, I have confidence you will, keep us posted! Welcome to the site, any problems at all give us a post! PS We have never refrigerated solution, read on the bag.It should be administered at room temperature, cold would be very uncomfortable. You might want to research it on the internet to ease your mind, bless you for being so concerned, good questions! All the luck!
Thank you, this makes me feel better about it, I am storing it in the closet on a hanger at room temp...our house is a bit drafty so I was going to pull it out to see if it's to cold and if it is I will wrap it in a blanket 30 mins before administering the fluid!!

Olympia7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think that refrigerating the fluid is right.
I always made the fluid warmer, because a cold fluid lowers the body temperature of the pet who receives the fliud. So, in order to avoid damage, I think that a fluid at 35°C is perfect, the pet won't feel the difference or discomfort.
You can use whatever hanger you have to hang the bottle or sack at a higher point than the cat.

I never used this technique, because I used a couple of large syringes, 50 ml each. And a butterfly needle.
So I slowly pushed the fluid under the skin, it took much shorter time than the hung bottle :)

EDIT: I would like to explain it for you step by step, but it isn't allowed by the Forum rules. So I hope it is clear enough for you.
Thank you, I thought it was weird that someone said to store it in the fridge, but they did say you would have to leave the fluid out till it reached room temp before administering it...I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess up if I was supposed to have refrigerated it!!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I thought it was weird that someone said to store it in the fridge, but they did say you would have to leave the fluid out till it reached room temp before administering it...I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess up if I was supposed to have refrigerated it!!
Please notice that room temperature might be at least 15°C lower than the cat's body temperature, so I'd rather warm it up a little, though I think that it is impossible to warm up a whole sack and then use only a part of it.
However, on the labels of the bottles I have it is clearly stated that the fluid MUST NOT be stored at temperature below 8°C. Hence no fridge at all :)

Olympia7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I failed...I'm going to have to take her in to the vet so she can show me again, last thing I want to do is stress my cat out over this, so I may have to take her in to have it done till I feel more comfortable...

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel badly! It is VERY stressful the first several times you try to do it: you are trying to think of so many things - wanting to do all of the steps right and worried about how the cat will react, worrying about holding the cat still for the whole time the fluids are going in, anxious about a lot of things. Been there, done that! I had to give my last cat I owned fluids during a time period of her life, and you just need to get the hang of it! Vets and vet techs are usually really good at showing you tips and tricks. What size needle did the vet give you to use?

Olympia7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't feel badly! It is VERY stressful the first several times you try to do it: you are trying to think of so many things - wanting to do all of the steps right and worried about how the cat will react, worrying about holding the cat still for the whole time the fluids are going in, anxious about a lot of things. Been there, done that! I had to give my last cat I owned fluids during a time period of her life, and you just need to get the hang of it! Vets and vet techs are usually really good at showing you tips and tricks. What size needle did the vet give you to use?
Can't remember what size she said it was, but it's pretty big!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to do a shout-out to @artiemom to see if she has time to give you some advice/ moral support.

It's been a handful of years since I've given fluids, but I think the vet gave me 18 gauge. I think I instead asked for 20g or 21g needles. A smaller needle may draw out the length of time it takes to "install" the fluids, but I feel it's more comfortable for the cat. Be sure to ask your vet about things like this, when he/she gives you a 'Sub-Q Fluids Demostration' again!
Needle gauge
What Gauge Needle Do You Suggest For Sub Q Fluids For A Cat

Olympia7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to do a shout-out to @artiemom to see if she has time to give you some advice/ moral support.

It's been a handful of years since I've given fluids, but I think the vet gave me 18 gauge. I think I instead asked for 20g or 21g needles. A smaller needle may draw out the length of time it takes to "install" the fluids, but I feel it's more comfortable for the cat. Be sure to ask your vet about things like this, when he/she gives you a 'Sub-Q Fluids Demostration' again!
Needle gauge
What Gauge Needle Do You Suggest For Sub Q Fluids For A Cat
Thank you so much, I appreciate the advice I will definitely ask as Simone seemed uncomfortable, but that could have just been because I had no idea what I was doing, probably over thinking it!!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, definitely have the vet show you again, and even slow enough (methodically enough) so that you can take notes as you go along. Have the vet recommend his/her favorite online videos, too, about people giving sub-q fluids -- so that you can watch videos that show the way your vet recommends you do it. Remember that our cats pick up on our nervousness and fears, and so you want to even practice it in your head, if you are naturally an "overthinker" -- that will calm you down a bit.
:)
(I'd even recommend --lol-- taking a stuffed animal into the bathroom with you, closing the door so you are alone--ha... and gently scruffing or holding it in place on a table or surface, then practicing inserting a kabob skewer into it! Give it "fluids"! Sounds asinine, but who knows, it may help you practice! And no one gets "hurt"!)
:thumbsup:

Olympia7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, definitely have the vet show you again, and even slow enough (methodically enough) so that you can take notes as you go along. Have the vet recommend his/her favorite online videos, too, about people giving sub-q fluids -- so that you can watch videos that show the way your vet recommends you do it. Remember that our cats pick up on our nervousness and fears, and so you want to even practice it in your head, if you are naturally an "overthinker" -- that will calm you down a bit.
:)
(I'd even recommend --lol-- taking a stuffed animal into the bathroom with you, closing the door so you are alone--ha... and gently scruffing or holding it in place on a table or surface, then practicing inserting a kabob skewer into it! Give it "fluids"! Sounds asinine, but who knows, it may help you practice! And no one gets "hurt"!)
Thanks again, yes I could tell she got nervous as soon as my husband freaked out a bit, then I fell apart...and the stuffed animal is a great idea...I was looking into buying an I.V. pole, cuz once I'm able to do the procedure I will be doing it by myself as he said it freaks him out!!!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does take a certain mental calmness which comes with practice. There is always a fear of hurting your cat or goofing the whole thing up at the start, when you are learning something new. But it will get better!

You may not have to buy an IV pole, unless you want one. You can also just hook the fluids up on a coat hook, or on a nearby curtain rod, things like that. You can even just hammer a nail into your wall or, if doing it near a window (which is what I did so I could see more clearly with the extra added sunshine), hammer a nail into the window frame and hang the fluids bag from that.

Olympia7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It does take a certain mental calmness which comes with practice. There is always a fear of hurting your cat or goofing the whole thing up at the start, when you are learning something new. But it will get better!

You may not have to buy an IV pole, unless you want one. You can also just hook the fluids up on a coat hook, or on a nearby curtain rod, things like that. You can even just hammer a nail into your wall or, if doing it near a window (which is what I did so I could see more clearly with the extra added sunshine), hammer a nail into the window frame and hang the fluids bag from that.
Great idea, I've been scouting out the best location in the house, our first try was on the kitchen counter with a nice fluffy towel for Simone to lay on so it would feel more like the vets office...but I'm wondering if I should pick a place she feels more comfy like her bed, or our bed etc.....

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pick a place that will be for the sole purpose of giving meds or fluids! Have it be only for that (that's my recommendation). Then she will know what to expect when you are placing her in that location. You don't want to do it in one of her already happy, safe places... let those remain comfy places for her, "unspoiled", lol. See?

Also, give a treat or two after giving fluids, so that she knows she will get some delicious yummies after all the weirdness of fluids is over with.

Olympia7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pick a place that will be for the sole purpose of giving meds or fluids! Have it be only for that (that's my recommendation). Then she will know what to expect when you are placing her in that location You don't want to do it in one of her already happy, safe places... let those remain comfy places for her, "unspoiled", lol. See?
Also, give a treat or two after giving fluids, so that she knows she will get some delicious yummies after all the weirdness of fluids is over with.
Yes, I was thinking about that after I posted it lol, I will use the kitchen counter as I feel like it's the easiest place to keep her still, she was actually doing great up there on her fluffy towel and had I known what I was doing she would have been fine!!