Feeding Tube Help

SuzieQ2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty just came home after having a feeding tube put in. I am having trouble keeping him still long enough to feed him. Over the weekend I had a family member help but now I’m on my own. It takes about 30-40 minutes 4 times a day. I’ve tried breakng it into shorter session when he gets restless and feed him more often. I’ve thought about putting him in his carrier so he’s confined while I’m feeding him. Any other suggestions?

He has a feeding tube because he stopped eating and drinking and was very lethargic. He was diagnosed with hepatic lipisosis, pancreatiis, partial obstruction and cholangiohepatitis. In other words, because he stopped eating he developed fatty liver disease, infection in the pancreas and the rest. With the feeding tube, he can get his nutrition until he feels good enough to eat on his own. I never realized that when a cat doesn’t eat, it can quickly affect their liver and GI track and kill them. We tried all sorts of things to get him eating again. My Vet had given him a number of types of medicines and fluids to try to help him.

So I really need to make sure he gets his food in his feeding tube so this can be reversed—they said 2 weeks to 2 months. I need to figure out how to be able to get him to be still for at least 15 min 4 to 8 times a day. The food has to go in slowly or he could throw it up. Time to feed him again. Wish me luck.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would definitely try putting him in his carrier if you cannot just put him between your legs (back him in so you can hold him with one arm and then you've still got both hands there by his head. I'm assuming he's got an E-tube?

when my guy had a feeding tube, he actually purred the entire time he was being fed, so never tried to escape. Are you slightly warming the food? Cold food hitting his stomach might be a shock to his system, so I would definitely warm it first, then go slowly, not too much or it will come right back out.

If holding him between your legs doesn't work, and using the carrier doesn't work, then I would try using a cat bag. The entire cat except his head get zipped up inside a bag. They are usually quite comfy in their and their is no way for them to escape. Something like this: Feline Restraint Bag | Medi-Vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SuzieQ2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your help. I’m letting the food come to room temperature before he gets it and sometimes he licks the food from my hand. I have help with him today, but tomorrow I’ll be alone again. He has a high white blood count so it’s really important for him to get his antibiotics. Today he’s not feeling well and hiding under the bed. He’s very constipated. I talked to the vet on Sunday, and she suggested Miralax. I’ve been giving it to him every day and today he got some more laxative/hairball medicine.
How long was your cat on the feeding tube? Have you heard of using Sam-E and vit. E to help the liver? I know in people, milk thistle is used for the liver but I’m not sure about cats. We go in tomorrow for a check- up and blood test. Do you have any suggestions of what I should ask the vet? This is all so new to me that I don’t even know what questions to ask.
Thanks for your help. I feel overwhelmed, worried about my kitty and have trouble sleeping at night trying to figure out how I’m going to pay for it all.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This thread is about syringe feeding rather than tube feeding, but the video might have some tips or tricks that you can adapt for feeding your boy
Syringe Feeding Lucky Video/If your Cat is not eating

I think the biggest thing is to stay calm, stay patient, and don't panic. I know this is a horribly scary and worrying time, but the more you can relax, the more relaxed your boy will be. Try to pick his sleepiest/calmest times of day too, as things are always easier if kitty is relaxed before you start (I've never tube fed a cat, but I have experience dealing with multiple meds, aerosol chambers and inhalers for feline asthma, and syringe feeding).

Good luck with your boy. I hope he recovers well and is at least starting to eat on his own soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I put my cat Frangi in her carrier for the feeding. I have a pump because syringe feeding was giving me Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, so I absolutely can’t have her walking off and dragging the pump behind her. I warm up her food to about body temperature before I give it to her.

A tube can stay in for months and it’s a real blessing for a cat that won’t eat.

Good luck with your kitty. I hope he gets better soon.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes to the Sam-E and Vitamin E, AND Milk Thistle. All three help the liver heal. Plus there are prescription medications that can also help, aside from the antibiotics you're already giving.

My cat was on his feeding tube for four months, but I honestly believe he was the exception. And his tube went directly into his stomach, which doesn't happen very often these days...it's too easy for them to pull them out.

Constipation sometimes is an issue with this, and the Miralax should help. Are you giving him sub-q fluids along with everything else. He needs not only food, but water. Are you mixing water or some sort of fluids into his food to make it thinner for easier syringing? And, of course, I imagine you are running a little water thru the tube to clean it out, right? He may need even more, depending on how much you are giving him, but you don't want to fill his tummy up too much with water because he needs FOOD. It's a fine line and that's why some people give fluids via sub-q. You can ask your Vet about how much to feed, including whatever you are using to thin it out. Have they told you to give 1 can of A/D, or 1 1/2 can of A/D (or similar food) or simply XX syringes full per day, or XX ml or what?

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes to the Sam-E and Vitamin E, AND Milk Thistle. All three help the liver heal.
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens , can I ask you what Vitamin E supplement you would recommend, dosage? Milk Thistle, drops or pills, what brands, dosage?
Thanks!

EDIT: I'm already giving my cat pills with an ingredient similar to Sam-E, as explained by the manufacturer over the phone. Should I give her Milk Thistle anyway?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would ask your Vet whether or not you should add Milk Thistle to the regime, and how much. If they say ok, I would probably go with drops, simply because I think they are easier to dose, but I do know that they also come in treats that are supposedly pallatable. If pilling isn't a problem for you, which it probably isn't, then they probably are the purest form, but I don't know which brands, especially since you are in another country. But I do know that basically prescription Denamarin is Sam-E plus Milk Thistle. For the Vitamin E, I had a problem finding it in 100 IU, which is what our Vet recommended, but she said to give 1 drop of 100 IU per day. My cat didn't have H/L though, so again, I would ask the Vet about that also. I ended up using 400 i/u per day and tried to give just a teeny, tiny "droplet". Our Vet said that should be ok.

Antonio65 Antonio65 , is this for Pallina? Does she have liver issues? I don't recall reading about that, but I just got back from vacation.

:vibes::vibes::vibes: