Syringe Feeding Lucky Video/If your Cat is not eating

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, Some of you might already know that I am currently force-feeding Lucky since she is off food due to a blockage http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227845.
I took this opportunity to record a video (Scroll Down to the bottom of this post) and write this post hoping it might help someone here at TCS... I have been noticing lately quite a few kitties have gone off food, and I have seen some parents needing help along the way - It is said that an image is worth a 1,000 words, so...

A couple of notes though:
If your cat goes off food, it is extremely important to get it to eat. Of course getting the kitty to the vet first and foremost to find out what is wrong is a given, but feeding the cat is second in line to diagnostics and treatment.
Please, do not leave up to your cat to eat - you must need to assist him/her in eating if it is not doing it on its own. One day is ok to be off food, on the second say is very suspicious and iffy (and you should already be taking action here), on the third day you absolutely need to take action.

When a cat doesn't eat, it can develop Fatty Liver Disease, and that can happen fast. That is very very serious....

Another thing to keep in mind: When force feeding your cat, you want to aim for a quantity that replaces what your cat eats. Yes, force-feeding 3-4cc's won't cut it. Lucky for example, Will need over a can of Hills A/D a day. You need to do it in several different meals, since you don't want to fill up the kitty too much, nor want to make the feeding too overwhelming or long/stressful. I feed 1 oz a meal, this is the maximum she will take.

Also, my last note, and something which I want to share that helps me every time I go through something like this - Be ready, be prepared. Just like you get ready for tornado/hurricane and snow storms, prepare yourself for this type of situations. What does that mean?
At home I have:
1/2 oz Feeding Syringes, 2 of those,
Cat Bag
Hills A/D (Hills A/D is great - right nutrition, doesn't need to be blended or diluted, it is ready and in the perfect consistency for syringe feeding. It is also very palatable, making yours and kitty's life easier)
Pet First aid supplies
RX medicine that they need often.

There is a lot of information on this link, for those of you who are going through this situation: http://www.assistfeed.com/FeedingTechniques.htm

Last but not least... If I can do it, you can do it too... Anybody can... You just have to lose the fear, and do what have to be done...
Hope this helps someone.... Please if you have a few vibes to spare for Lucky... I will take them all!

Without further ado, here is the video, sorry, a bit long, but I wanted to be a complete video

Last edited by a moderator:

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That was a wonderful video, Carolina. Poor Blue doesn't tolerate it nearly as well as sweet Lucky. He screams at me the entire time.
Sometimes he even spits it back out at me. He is my little old man!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BlueRexBear

That was a wonderful video, Carolina. Poor Blue doesn't tolerate it nearly as well as sweet Lucky. He screams at me the entire time.
Sometimes he even spits it back out at me. He is my little old man!
Here is what I found that makes my life much easier. Lucky is like that too, believe it or not - if the food doesn't taste good, or if it is medicine, she will do the same.
So, with that stated, two things make a huge difference when feeding her - a food that she can stand - Lucky doesn't eat ANY wet food, but A/D is highly palatable, and she does accept it well, I highly recommend it. And the second, a cat bag.
A cat bag gives me full control of her - when she starts twisting and turning her head I have my hand free to hold her head firmly (usually I just place her head against my chest), and continue to feed. It is far less stressful this way...

sophielew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the heads up and the video! Sophie is finally eating on her own tonight! The last two days she's been "force fed" nutrical and today we really worked at getting her sinuses cleaned out with saline solution! She then came into her "cat room " and has been eating her favorite "chicken with gravy! I'm hoping the bowl will be empty by morning, (and that she doesn't throw up)! She's already made three trips to her food bowl as I write this! 'llm report back after we go to the vet tomorrow!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can no longer edit this post, but wanted to add the video to it, as the link has been removed:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

There are some kitties here that are currently not eating, and I think there are some important tips on this thread - this link, posted on the Original post, is very very good: http://www.assistfeed.com/FeedingTechniques.htm

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited by a moderator:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Carolina, thank you so much,this is soo helpful!  When Lucas gets very sick he doesn't eat, it has happened two times already.   I force-fed him both times and made sure he was hydrated.   I also had to feed my cat Oreo (RIP) when she got sick years ago and the vet recommended the a/d and it worked.  The videos are soo helpful ,thank you !

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Carolina :hugs::hugs: for updating your video for the new platform . As I use your video as an aid to other's who need advice on syringe feeding!!! :D

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bumping this as there are quite a few cats here in trouble for not eating, liver failure and Hepatic lipidosis lately :(

gooned

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You need to do it in several different meals, since you don't want to fill up the kitty too much, nor want to make the feeding too overwhelming or long/stressful. I feed 1 oz a meal, this is the maximum she will take.
I'm not sure how to know when to stop. When feeding mine, she starts to act aggravated around 20 cc's. I usually keep going until 30 although today she threw up after 25. I believe it was from waking her up to feed. I have very little experience with this as I just started this week.

How did you figure out what her max was?

Thx

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how to know when to stop. When feeding mine, she starts to act aggravated around 20 cc's. I usually keep going until 30 although today she threw up after 25. I believe it was from waking her up to feed. I have very little experience with this as I just started this week.

How did you figure out what her max was?

Thx
Hi Gooned :wavey:

I was actually trying to make the videos in this thread work for you.... I don't know what is happening here..... for the meantime, I hope it is ok with the mods, here is the link: Lucky got very irritated and started spitting up the food after one ounce - it was just too stressful for both of us...... Feeding time should not be stressful.... You might want to compromise and do 20 CC feedings and an extra feeding before going to bed if your girl feels more relaxed that way....

As for the water, she is getting all she needs in the wet food :)

gooned

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The video worked fine. I just needed advice on knowing when to stop.

By the way, I thought I was the only one that had conversations with my babies! My sick one talked back before this horror story began.

Thanks

secludedchic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty isn't eating right now. Thank you for the video! Hopefully syringe feeding him will help.

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this video, my senior cat isn't eating post dental surgery and on metacam so I have to syringe feed him for the time being...

This helped.