Fatty Liver - At Home Treatment

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update on Jade!
I was able to work from home the past 2 days to feed her properly. She has started to show interest in food and is eating a bit on her own! The pet store near me was nice enough to give me some food samples, so far she has eaten Performatrin kitten food (don't mind this as it's higher calories which she needs right now). She likes it but struggles with chewing the kibbles through her nausea. I've just given her Petcurean Go! Sensitivity + shine Pollock kibble and she loves it! She's not struggling at all to eat it and she must have eaten close to 1/4 cup just now. I hope this continues over the next couple days, and if she doesn't lose interest I'm going to buy a bag! I'm so happy right now and relieved she's starting to eat again, let's hope this lasts
I'm so happy to hear this! Keep eating Jade!!
How is medicating her going? Still a struggle or do you think you've found a method that is working for you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cailabaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so happy to hear this! Keep eating Jade!!
How is medicating her going? Still a struggle or do you think you've found a method that is working for you?
I hope she does!! Luckily I've had help every day since that dark day lol.. except today I had to get Cerenia into her myself and somehow I managed to do it! I put it in a tiny gel cap. I find if I push gently behind her canines she opens her mouth, and I can do this with just 2 fingers so I have another hand free to shove the pill in. Works a lot better! Only took about 10 tries and 1 ruined gel cap (which honestly isn't a lot given previous attempts :lol:)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she does!! Luckily I've had help every day since that dark day lol.. except today I had to get Cerenia into her myself and somehow I managed to do it! I put it in a tiny gel cap. I find if I push gently behind her canines she opens her mouth, and I can do this with just 2 fingers so I have another hand free to shove the pill in. Works a lot better! Only took about 10 tries and 1 ruined gel cap (which honestly isn't a lot given previous attempts :lol:)
IF pilling is absolutely the only way, I've found putting them in a cornered area (a window sill is excellent, they can't go anywhere but don't seem to feel as "trapped") works well. Some of mine will be OK with this and others fight the restraint more than the pilling!

cailabaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IF pilling is absolutely the only way, I've found putting them in a cornered area (a window sill is excellent, they can't go anywhere but don't seem to feel as "trapped") works well. Some of mine will be OK with this and others fight the restraint more than the pilling!
Good idea! I put her up on the counter (in the new dedicated feeding spot we avoid now lol) but she knows this is the bad spot. I'll try the window ledge! I guess having the clear glass helps them not feel so confined. She always spits the pill out no matter how far back it goes, and how much water we syringe into her closed mouth. It's a mystery how she does it.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good idea! I put her up on the counter (in the new dedicated feeding spot we avoid now lol) but she knows this is the bad spot. I'll try the window ledge! I guess having the clear glass helps them not feel so confined. She always spits the pill out no matter how far back it goes, and how much water we syringe into her closed mouth. It's a mystery how she does it.
Sometimes gently blowing a puff of breath closer to their face (not a full blown blow or a sneeze, you don't want to send her flying 7 feet back!) will prompt a swallow. Kind of like how someone would blow their own hair that fell in their face...But beware, it sometimes makes them mad =/
Petting/stroking the throat helps, too.
I Hate it when they get the pill in, then clamp their jaws and do nothing. That nasty bitterness is filling their mouth and no cat is going to attempt to swallow that =(

cailabaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes gently blowing a puff of breath closer to their face (not a full blown blow or a sneeze, you don't want to send her flying 7 feet back!) will prompt a swallow. Kind of like how someone would blow their own hair that fell in their face...But beware, it sometimes makes them mad =/
Petting/stroking the throat helps, too.
I Hate it when they get the pill in, then clamp their jaws and do nothing. That nasty bitterness is filling their mouth and no cat is going to attempt to swallow that =(
Yes that's exactly what happens. She traps it in her mouth and would rather foam and drool than swallow! Blowing on her nose just makes her mad lol!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes that's exactly what happens. She traps it in her mouth and would rather foam and drool than swallow! Blowing on her nose just makes her mad lol!
She's a toughie!
If she were mine I'd opt the syringe method with the broth. Less muss and fuss for difficult pillers!