Fatty Liver - At Home Treatment

cailabaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was just diagnosed with fatty liver. I had bloodwork done 2 weeks ago, and another done yesterday. I've been giving her denamarin and milk thistle, and have been syringe feeding her the past week, slowly increasing the amount I'm giving her.

Blood 2 weeks ago (this was a limited panel):
ALT - 427
ALKP - 756
AST - 83

Blood yesterday (there's no AST, idk why):
ALT - 445
ALKP - 666 :yess: down a bit!
TBIL - 28

The vet suggested a feeding tube, but I really can not afford this right now and want to continue syringe feeding her and giving her all the supplements to see if it helps first. I have a follow up appointment on the 17th.

I've started feeding her 1 can of a/d a day in 3 hr intervals. ~30ml each time, 6 times a day.
Also giving:
Denamarin, 1/4 pepcid, Cyproheptadine (gave her first pill about 6 hr ago, don't notice any change yet), Rx vitamins amino b-plex, slippery elm for her nausea, and 100ml subq fluids.

Does anyone have success with at home treatment? Tips? Success stories (hopeful to read these)?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Feeding tubes are for cats who can't get nourishment any other way. Continue with the syringe method.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your vet thinks 180 calories/day (that’s one can of a/d) is enough and you are getting it all into her (and not down her lungs), I don’t see a problem. I would give her something stronger for nausea.

The real problem is “why isn’t she eating?” Does she have another disease?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cailabaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your vet thinks 180 calories/day (that’s one can of a/d) is enough and you are getting it all into her (and not down her lungs), I don’t see a problem. I would give her something stronger for nausea.

The real problem is “why isn’t she eating?” Does she have another disease?
So backstory... I tried to switch their food a couple months back, my other cat was ok with it, Jade was not. We think it was an intolerance to something since it's a good food. She was vomiting a lot and became severely dehydrated and her kidneys were damaged from it. Now her kidneys are good and we are keeping her hydration up. But ever since then, her appetite has decreased more and more and now she has stopped eating on her own completely :( she ate some treats the past 3 days though!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Good point Silken. There is always a reason cats stop eating.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, Mika has some crazy elevated levels. She was also suffering from gallbladder issues. It's good that you're syringe feeding food. Mika was on denamarin (I swear, its the only thing that brought down her insanely high levels) but it was hard to pill/feed her.

Calories are incredibly important. Calories are your new best friend. However many pounds your cat is recommended to be, multiply that by 20 (for an indoor cat, 25 otherwise) and thats what you need to be shooting for daily. It won't happen right away but getting calories in is better than no calories. We couldn't get Mika a feeding tube because she was took weak to take the surgery so we were force feeding constantly. We did kitten replacement milk with probiotics (fortiflora) added in twice a day. We were lucky that Mika would still eat if offered foods that smelled or tasted good to her. She wouldn't eat much in the beginning (why we force fed) but she would nibble on foods. I would often mix it up with a spoon and offer it again. Sometimes I would rub it on her mouth so she'd taste it. I went through basically every brand under the sun to find flavors and foods Mika would eat. Kitten food is higher in calories so if your cat will still eat something on her own, start with kitten foods.

We eventually landed on TikiCat mousse because it was easy for her lap, had a good amount of calories and was high in protein. It'd take me an hour to get her to finish one pouch of food but she was eventually eating her full calories in food on her own. She's still jaundiced but its fading wonderfully and she's finally putting weight back on. She's also not ignoring food anymore. She'll eat whats in front of her on her own again without coaxing.

The milk thistle is great! I noticed you said you thought this could be an intolerance. To what?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a cat that survived Fatty Liver, it is a long recovery but recovery is entirely possible. He did have a feeding tube but there is nothing magical about a feeding tube. Recovery is made possible by getting enough food in each day to stop the cat's body from breaking down it's own fat stores. The feeding tube just makes the feedings easier.

cailabaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, Mika has some crazy elevated levels. She was also suffering from gallbladder issues. It's good that you're syringe feeding food. Mika was on denamarin (I swear, its the only thing that brought down her insanely high levels) but it was hard to pill/feed her.

Calories are incredibly important. Calories are your new best friend. However many pounds your cat is recommended to be, multiply that by 20 (for an indoor cat, 25 otherwise) and thats what you need to be shooting for daily. It won't happen right away but getting calories in is better than no calories. We couldn't get Mika a feeding tube because she was took weak to take the surgery so we were force feeding constantly. We did kitten replacement milk with probiotics (fortiflora) added in twice a day. We were lucky that Mika would still eat if offered foods that smelled or tasted good to her. She wouldn't eat much in the beginning (why we force fed) but she would nibble on foods. I would often mix it up with a spoon and offer it again. Sometimes I would rub it on her mouth so she'd taste it. I went through basically every brand under the sun to find flavors and foods Mika would eat. Kitten food is higher in calories so if your cat will still eat something on her own, start with kitten foods.

We eventually landed on TikiCat mousse because it was easy for her lap, had a good amount of calories and was high in protein. It'd take me an hour to get her to finish one pouch of food but she was eventually eating her full calories in food on her own. She's still jaundiced but its fading wonderfully and she's finally putting weight back on. She's also not ignoring food anymore. She'll eat whats in front of her on her own again without coaxing.

The milk thistle is great! I noticed you said you thought this could be an intolerance. To what?
Wow great she is doing better and eating on her own now, good for you! How long did it take for her to start eating herself? Both my cats eat sooo slow, they graze throughout the day and one meal takes them hours to finish.

Jade is extremely hard to pill. I have a pill popper coming in the mail, hoping that helps. Great info on the calories. I'm adding some Nutrical in with the food for added calories too. And I've read such amazing denamarin success stories.

We aren't sure what the intolerance was (if there even was one) or what she reacted negatively to. I switched them back shortly after she started getting sick.

cailabaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Also I'm trying to find tikicat here! After so many people say their cats love it. I'm in Canada and can't seem to find it except for fairly expensive online. I'll try it once she starts eating a bit more on her own. Tried multiple cans and packs of weruva and she was repulsed by it for some reason..

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow great she is doing better and eating on her own now, good for you! How long did it take for her to start eating herself? Both my cats eat sooo slow, they graze throughout the day and one meal takes them hours to finish.

Jade is extremely hard to pill. I have a pill popper coming in the mail, hoping that helps. Great info on the calories. I'm adding some Nutrical in with the food for added calories too. And I've read such amazing denamarin success stories.

We aren't sure what the intolerance was (if there even was one) or what she reacted negatively to. I switched them back shortly after she started getting sick.
It took a long time. It's been a month and a half since Mika started having her issues. We just got back to eating on their own. Yes! Mika is the same way. She takes a very long time to eat (even on her own now). Right now, keeping Jade interested in the food is important. As long as when you offer her the food again in a little bit, she takes some (and you're counting calories and syringe feeding when needed) don't stress about time.

The pill popper saved my fingers and made things a little easier (I won't lie and said it made it a breeze). It was less frustrating when Mika pushed the pill out of her mouth having a pill popper. I will say, what helped best with getting things into Mika was to have a good angle at her throat. I would wrap her up in a towel (kitty burrito) and have my dad hold her in his lap. He'd flip her on her back and hold down her arms inside the towel with the insides of his arms while helping hold Mika's head still with his hands. I'd tilt her head back and get the pill popper or syringe past her tongue and give her medicine that way. It wasn't always fool proof, we'd have to repeat sometimes but it reduced the retries SIGNIFICANTLY for us (like from 6 to 2).

I haven't used Nutrical myself but I know people recommended it. Furballsmom Furballsmom has an INCREDIBLE list of foods you can give if Jade won't eat wet food at all. It really helped me.

Also, I know you said we don't know it was an intolerance or not. With that in mind though, was the protein of the food you switched to different? I wouldn't recommend buying the more expensive brands of foods until you try to the lower ones. Fancy Feast was Mika's main meal for a long time. Friskies is another one. See how Jade takes to the pate's they have. I switched to mousse because Mika was licking, not actually biting or taking chunks (she'd actually spit it out if she did). If you can't find TikiCat look for Solid Gold. They have a mousse-like food that I add a bit of water to and its on par with TikiCat's consistency.

EDIT: Royal Canin also has a mother and babycat food that is mousse like pate. Another one to look into because it has lots of calories being a kitten food too. Also, I have heard they also have a recovery food, but I haven't tried it personally.

Another add because I keep thinking of foods: Nutro has soft loafs which are mousse like consistency. They have on in particular that I believe is around 100 calories in the 3 oz can. Applaws has mousse style foods but I believe they're slightly chunky? I haven't tried them. Caru is another brand I have yet to try but have heard it is a broth/soup style food.

Last edited:

cailabaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It took a long time. It's been a month and a half since Mika started having her issues. We just got back to eating on their own. Yes! Mika is the same way. She takes a very long time to eat (even on her own now). Right now, keeping Jade interested in the food is important. As long as when you offer her the food again in a little bit, she takes some (and you're counting calories and syringe feeding when needed) don't stress about time.

The pill popper saved my fingers and made things a little easier (I won't lie and said it made it a breeze). It was less frustrating when Mika pushed the pill out of her mouth having a pill popper. I will say, what helped best with getting things into Mika was to have a good angle at her throat. I would wrap her up in a towel (kitty burrito) and have my dad hold her in his lap. He'd flip her on her back and hold down her arms inside the towel with the insides of his arms while helping hold Mika's head still with his hands. I'd tilt her head back and get the pill popper or syringe past her tongue and give her medicine that way. It wasn't always fool proof, we'd have to repeat sometimes but it reduced the retries SIGNIFICANTLY for us (like from 6 to 2).

I haven't used Nutrical myself but I know people recommended it. Furballsmom Furballsmom has an INCREDIBLE list of foods you can give if Jade won't eat wet food at all. It really helped me.

Also, I know you said we don't know it was an intolerance or not. With that in mind though, was the protein of the food you switched to different? I wouldn't recommend buying the more expensive brands of foods until you try to the lower ones. Fancy Feast was Mika's main meal for a long time. Friskies is another one. See how Jade takes to the pate's they have. I switched to mousse because Mika was licking, not actually biting or taking chunks (she'd actually spit it out if she did). If you can't find TikiCat look for Solid Gold. They have a mousse-like food that I add a bit of water to and its on par with TikiCat's consistency.

EDIT: Royal Canin also has a mother and babycat food that is mousse like pate. Another one to look into because it has lots of calories being a kitten food too. Also, I have heard they also have a recovery food, but I haven't tried it personally.

Another add because I keep thinking of foods: Nutro has soft loafs which are mousse like consistency. They have on in particular that I believe is around 100 calories in the 3 oz can. Applaws has mousse style foods but I believe they're slightly chunky? I haven't tried them. Caru is another brand I have yet to try but have heard it is a broth/soup style food.
Wow Jade and Mika sound so simlilar! Pilling is a nightmare. Yesterday was the worst day so far, I tried for over an hour, and my sister in law came over to help (she was a technician) and she couldn't even do it. She's always gotten it in her first try. Even holdering her mouth closed for a few minutes and giving her water, she managed to spit it out. We gave up and crushed the denamarin in her food, even though I know you're not supposed to. Better in her than not though my fiance has been an amazing cat nurse, he's so helpful with pilling. I'll have to do it alone for 10 days soon, praying the pill popper comes before then! Thanks for those tips!

Wow great food recommendations. Chunks are a no-no with both my cats. Jade really doesn't even like wet food. I'm hoping she eats some pate or mousse after a bit though. I bought her some purina indoor kibble from another recommendation when she started to lose her appetite, she liked that for a bit! Not the best food but it's something! She's was nibbling on it a bit yesterday too. I wish they liked wet food :( Jade only licks too, I'll have to look for some mousse. The Caru broth sounds good too!

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow Jade and Mika sound so simlilar! Pilling is a nightmare. Yesterday was the worst day so far, I tried for over an hour, and my sister in law came over to help (she was a technician) and she couldn't even do it. She's always gotten it in her first try. Even holdering her mouth closed for a few minutes and giving her water, she managed to spit it out. We gave up and crushed the denamarin in her food, even though I know you're not supposed to. Better in her than not though my fiance has been an amazing cat nurse, he's so helpful with pilling. I'll have to do it alone for 10 days soon, praying the pill popper comes before then! Thanks for those tips!

Wow great food recommendations. Chunks are a no-no with both my cats. Jade really doesn't even like wet food. I'm hoping she eats some pate or mousse after a bit though. I bought her some purina indoor kibble from another recommendation when she started to lose her appetite, she liked that for a bit! Not the best food but it's something! She's was nibbling on it a bit yesterday too. I wish they liked wet food :( Jade only licks too, I'll have to look for some mousse. The Caru broth sounds good too!
It really has been a nightmare when it comes to pilling Mika. :sweat: I always feel like I have to push the pill popper to the back of her throat so she can't spit it out. We did have a few times that Mika threw it up but (gross, sorry) because it was still whole, we gave it to her again. I never had a formal diagnosis for what caused Mika's symptoms. They literally just happened. At one point the vets thought it might be liver flukes which is a parasite. I had to give her pills for that every 8 hours for 3 days. It felt like an eternity with her especially since they were bitter, powdery pills that melted very quickly!

So if wet food isn't good, maybe throw in some kibble in it or on top of it. Finding food she will eat and getting calories in is important, you could argue more important than nutrition right now. I don't know about pet stores in Canada but the PetSmart and Petco here will let you return opened bags of kibble so you can always try around on those. I also did food toppers for a while to add calories (or sometimes, just alone because Mika would refuse all the food I gave other than the toppers).

If you need anything or have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help. This was a really frustrating and hard time for me and I'd hate for you to feel like you're alone in this (though it sounds like you have an amazing set up with a fiancé and sister-in-law).

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm taking notes so fast for potential problems down the road that I think my pen just caught on fire.
The baby cat food IME is good, and the kibbled variety is great because it's microscopically small. (We had an old and sick raw fed dog go off raw, canned, home cooked, but only took to a certain brand of puppy chow, and after a week or two he wanted his regular food again.)

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Also I'm trying to find tikicat here! After so many people say their cats love it. I'm in Canada and can't seem to find it except for fairly expensive online. I'll try it once she starts eating a bit more on her own. Tried multiple cans and packs of Weruva and she was repulsed by it for some reason..
Which websites are you shopping at?

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm taking notes so fast for potential problems down the road that I think my pen just caught on fire.
The baby cat food IME is good, and the kibbled variety is great because it's microscopically small. (We had an old and sick raw fed dog go off raw, canned, home cooked, but only took to a certain brand of puppy chow, and after a week or two he wanted his regular food again.)
Haha! I felt like I had to square up really fast and learn as much as I could for Mika! She's my first pet and my first cat. Going through all this was so rough because it happened very quickly after getting her which I was completely blind sided by.

I joined this site because I was praying that someone on her could help me with whatever was going on with her. If I hadn't, I don't know that Mika would still be here, honestly. Now, staying on here is about being able to pass on what I know and what Mika and I have experienced while also learning more in case anything else happens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh my gosh! cailabaker cailabaker , Royal Canin also makes a mother and babycat kibble too! I just remember that because of 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 and the comment about puppy chow.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You're in Canada which makes things a bit complicated.
mikameek mikameek gave you a darn good list of foods already :thumbsup:

I don't know if you have access to Costco/Kirkland brands? I'm not sure of consistency of some of the foods below;
Costco-qualicat, nature's domain
Lifesabundance on their website
Only Natural Pet, on their website, and they also sell other brands as well as allowing small quantity ordering but I don't know if they ship to Canada
Natural Balance, Merrick Backcountry, Koha

Also, take a look at @LTS3 's post in this thread, and the spreadsheet too
Calling All Pate Lovers!!

cailabaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It really has been a nightmare when it comes to pilling Mika. :sweat: I always feel like I have to push the pill popper to the back of her throat so she can't spit it out. We did have a few times that Mika threw it up but (gross, sorry) because it was still whole, we gave it to her again. I never had a formal diagnosis for what caused Mika's symptoms. They literally just happened. At one point the vets thought it might be liver flukes which is a parasite. I had to give her pills for that every 8 hours for 3 days. It felt like an eternity with her especially since they were bitter, powdery pills that melted very quickly!

So if wet food isn't good, maybe throw in some kibble in it or on top of it. Finding food she will eat and getting calories in is important, you could argue more important than nutrition right now. I don't know about pet stores in Canada but the PetSmart and Petco here will let you return opened bags of kibble so you can always try around on those. I also did food toppers for a while to add calories (or sometimes, just alone because Mika would refuse all the food I gave other than the toppers).

If you need anything or have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help. This was a really frustrating and hard time for me and I'd hate for you to feel like you're alone in this (though it sounds like you have an amazing set up with a fiancé and sister-in-law).
Haha well if its still whole, I'd give it to her too :lol: the meds are too important (and too expensive) not to! I don't understand how Jade can use her tongue so well to flick it out immediate after it goes in her mouth. Sometimes she tricks us and stores it too and spits it out in a pile of mush on the ground a good 10 minutes later and I chase with water, usually 2-3 syringes full. No idea how that's more comfortable than swallowing it in her mind!

She is currently loving purebites freeze dried chicken treats. I've been sprinkling this on her wet food trying to entice her (hasn't worked), and on her kibble which has worked a bit. The babycat food looks so good! I'll have to pickup the mousse and the kibble! If it's super tiny, that's even better.

It definitely has been very frustrating and very emotional the past 2 months. I had a full blown panic attack yesterday after my first attempt to pill her and had to call my sister in law over in tears. I think that was my breaking point.. thank you so much for all your advice and I'm so happy that you were successful and for and Mika! I hope she continues to eat and heal. She sounds like a sweet, yet stubborn girl. Just like my Jade :lol: I just wish they knew we were doing all this 'horrible' stuff to them out of love.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, here are some toppers you could try, and see if they'll entice your cat to eat;
  • Chicken or beef flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand - it's usually smelly. See if it's eaten on its own, then maybe mix it in or put on top
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat gravy poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes are on the internet, look for some with goat milk)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
    you could crumble treats onto the wet food, Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables