Eye contact

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Everything I read says cats tend to view direct eye contact as threatening, and that if you're going to make eye contact, do the show blinking thing. But Juno will look straight into my eyes, without blinking, for extended periods of time while purring and cuddling in my lap or on my chest. It seems like the most loving look and usually ends with her scooting up my chest to give my cheek a good bunt. I can't get over how adorable it is and how lovely it makes me feel.

How common or uncommon is it for a cat to make extended eye contact as a sign of affection? Juno is my first cat, so I'm never sure such things are common to all cats and which are quirks of her personality.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
cats tend to view direct eye contact as threatening,
I believe this is most specific for a new situation, where the cat is unfamiliar with the person and the surroundings and is on high alert already. A direct stare at that point can seem aggressive and frightening.

Both my angel Poppy and Captain Jack looked/will look directly at one or the other of us. You're right, it does feel like a very loving emotion, or at the very least, super contentment to the point of cat heaven on earth :catrub::lovecat3:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow doesn’t stare quite as much as she used to but could do it steadily for at least an hour. My son used to say it was creepy but I always thought she stared because she was fearful of getting any closer. In the last few years she is willing to get a bit closer and has stared less.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boys make sure contact a lot. With slow blinks or a loving look usually. Side-eye from Magnus sometimes.

My late cat Lily would too. Mostly to demand pets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's the one pic I got of Juno giving me this look, though I'm not sure it captures the vibe competely. I can't know know what she's feeling but it does make me feel really loved.

Glad to hear of others' experiences. Cats are so much more interesting than I ever knew before I adopted Juno....

20210803_212112.jpg

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's the one pic I got of Juno giving me this look, though I'm not sure it captures the vibe competely. I can't know know what she's feeling but it does make me feel really loved.

Glad to hear of others' experiences. Cats are so much more interesting than I ever knew before I adopted Juno....

View attachment 448285
She's a beautiful cat. Does she slow blink at you if you do it at her? She looks like she's waiting for an I love you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's a beautiful cat. Does she slow blink at you if you do it at her? She looks like she's waiting for an I love you!
Thanks! We exchange slow blinks throughout the day, but for some reason, when we're cuddling and she gives me this look, she's not into the slow blinking. It's like it breaks the mood for her. That's part of the reason I asked. She just seems to want to stare directly into my eyes, with no blinking, until she can't take it any longer and she has to touch my face with hers. (And then she can go back into my lap and fall asleep).

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat will stare right back at me for an extended period. She will also come up to me and completely focus, hard stare at me for a very long time. I believe she is trying to control me with her mind. At times it is because she wants something, but at others, it seems to be for no reason.
~ She may be trying hypnosis on you ... ✨️😼

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a post somewhat recently about a similar behavior my cat developed. He not only makes extended eye contact, but gives me a short "Mmm" whenever I glance him in the eyes back.