Odd new quirky behavior?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been posting a lot of threads about my cat Willy lately, and you've all been great people at answering them. Here is another one... he is a special creature... lol.

He is about 9 years old now. Vision and hearing seem normal (age-related degradation of one or the other was one explanation that was suggested by someone off this forum, but I've tested this theory to the best of my ability... however it's another thing to discuss with my vet next time).

He has always been a huge "lap cat" so that part isn't new. He always wanted to spend most of his life on my lap, and I let him. He was an outdoor rescue so maybe he just bonded with me after being rescued. He has also always been a very vocal cat, which is part of this story.

The new behavior is while he is on my lap, he stares me in the face almost constantly, like while I am watching TV or doing almost anything else. And whenever I look him in the eyes, he vocalizes as if to acknowledge I am paying attention to him.

There are no other different behaviors in his life and this may just be a new quirk developed by my quirky cat seeking attention from me. I'm just curious about it.

I have another thread about him being less interested in play, possibly due to arthritis. Any idea if maybe this correlates? Like if he won't play as much with me, he has developed some kind of other attention-seeking behavior? Just a theory...

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think so, he loves you and as he ages is more dependent on you for loving him back. He is attentive to your facial expressions and loves it when you focus on him. Many people would love for a cat to pay so much attention to them, you are lucky to have a cat that wants attention!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think so, he loves you and as he ages is more dependent on you for loving him back. He is attentive to your facial expressions and loves it when you focus on him. Many people would love for a cat to pay so much attention to them, you are lucky to have a cat that wants attention!
Thank you for the encouragement! That honestly makes me feel better.

I was just a little concerned that maybe he is trying to tell me something... And I don't mean "I love you" (which is cute) but like "something may be wrong."

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish my cat were like that! Lap cat? No way. Gazing with eyes wide ?yes! But I wish I had the 2 combined. Count yourself blessed and give the kitty a treat!
This is my first cat ever. I am 41 years old and I grew up with dogs my entire life.

Willy was rescued from outside when less than one year old, and he wasn't always so affectionate at first (probably because being so scared at first).

The only reason I posted this question was wondering if he is trying to communicate something besides love. It's just another thing I will ask my vet about next time, but otherwise, sounds like not anything worrisome.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW if you've read my above post already, I am now a cat owner for life! They are so much easier. And I honestly don't mean that as in I take their care less seriously... I just LOOOOOOVE not having to take them outside on walks while living in a downtown apartment of a major Midwest city (Milwaukee) while our winters get cold as **** 😂

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's just another thing I will ask my vet about next time
When cats aren't feeling right there will be little things. You might start finding him in unusual locations like in the closet when that never happened before etc, or hunched while in a loaf position, or eating less (or more in certain situations), or having his litterbox habits change.

Something you can do would be to start weighing him and keeping a log, maybe every couple weeks or so :)

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something you can do would be to start weighing him and keeping a log, maybe every couple weeks or so :)
Thanks. I've actually been doing that already since switching him to wet food. He was overweight while on dry in the beginning years of his life.

There are no other noticeable changes. I'm sorry to make anyone jealous... lol. But it sounds like he may just be communicating more love.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If all of his other activities are normal, eating, drinking, litter habits, playing as usual, sleeping, then this is almost certainly just a deeper level of bonding. But...thank you so much for being attentive to him. And for rescuing him, and loving him.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If all of his other activities are normal, eating, drinking, litter habits, playing as usual, sleeping, then this is almost certainly just a deeper level of bonding. But...thank you so much for being attentive to him. And for rescuing him, and loving him.
He has been my best buddy for the last 8 years. Couldn't have asked for a better roommate.

And during COVID isolation, was an amazing animal to have while living alone.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forget cats aren't humans and always find myself having a conversation..a conversation. One of my neighbors is a shrink and he said he talks to his cats..and babies too! So I guess we are ok Ma1953!
He comes up to me and sits waiting:
Me: "Hi Sweetie! Are you hungry?"
Her: "Meow" , licks her lips and pivots to kitchen direction,waits and looks to see if I am getting up and off she leads to her place mat!
I wish I had her during the quarantine like you!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forget cats aren't humans and always find myself having a conversation..a conversation.
I do that too. I ask him questions when he is seeking attention, like "What's on your mind?" And he's an extremely vocal cat, so he always replies with an "Mmm" chirp.

"Are you hungry?" results in an extra-excited vocalization (best described as "Mmm-wow!") followed by dashing over to his food dish.

Last edited:

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When cats aren't feeling right there will be little things. [...] hunched while in a loaf position
Just curious, what does that mean, being hunched while in loaf position? That's a new one I never heard about before and I read a lot about cat behavior.

Willy doesn't do that... he likes being a loaf but never looks hunched. Just wondering what that would mean.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Louise loves reclining in a loaf position with her 2 front paws folded in front of her and her bur pushed out and her 'haunches' up on the 2 sides. It is quite cute. I think I can relate to the hunched in loaf position expression... if that fits the description.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
being hunched while in loaf position?
Louise loves reclining in a loaf position
GranolaLouise is right, they look sort of like a meatloaf or loaf of bread. As long as the cat is relaxed its wonderful, but if they are tensed in discomfort or outright pain and their back is sort of hunched up, tight and tense and their nose might even be lower down close to the surface they're resting on, that's not a good sign.
This provides quite a lot more detail;
Cat Loaf Meaning: 6 Cat Loafing Positions You Must Know!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
BTW if you've read my above post already, I am now a cat owner for life! They are so much easier. And I honestly don't mean that as in I take their care less seriously... I just LOOOOOOVE not having to take them outside on walks while living in a downtown apartment of a major Midwest city (Milwaukee) while our winters get cold as **** 😂
I absolutely love dogs but I'll agree, when it's snowing and blowing like a blizzard and I have to take dogs outside to potty, I give my cats and their tidy litter box a sideways glance as I head out the door! When I got my Papillon I told her she was going to learn to use a dog litter box, so that's what we did!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
GranolaLouise is right, they look sort of like a meatloaf or loaf of bread. As long as the cat is relaxed its wonderful, but if they are tensed in discomfort or outright pain and their back is sort of hunched up, tight and tense and their nose might even be lower down close to the surface they're resting on, that's not a good sign.
This provides quite a lot more detail;
Cat Loaf Meaning: 6 Cat Loafing Positions You Must Know!
My cats all love to loaf. I make a noise, or clap, or say their name and rattle a treat bag, etc. If they're feeling bad, they might look up, but their eyes are squinted almost shut and they don't make any instant attempts to move. If they're just lounging as loafs, their eyes shoot open (and their eyes look bright and normal), they un-loaf and run over to me. That's the un-scientific way I tell if my cats are happy loaves or sad loaves.
1679704347906.png

Compare "Catloaf" with "head press", althought IME not all cats will press their heads that way if they're feeling ill, but you'll know the difference if you ever see it IRL.
Also, the Monorail?!! I've never heard it described like that! So from now on whenever someone says "how many pets do you have at home" I'll have to say "One dog, 3 Monorails" and enjoy the weird looks I get. 🤣