Extremely Low Platelet Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did a little researching, and only found the obvious...that is is rare in cats, but is also the most common primary hemostatic defect in cats, as well.

I found this article about it that's pretty comprehensive, although apparently written for vets:

Thrombocytopenia in Cats - WSAVA2006 - VIN

It did make me wonder if the platelet counting was automated or not, see this paragraph:

"In cats, decreased platelet counts are a common laboratory finding. However, this is often a so-called pseudothrombocytopenia (incorrect low platelet values) which can occur with automated counting of platelets. It is related to the tendency for feline platelets to aggregate and the size of some of the platelets that in this species can be similar to the size of red blood cells. Therefore, manual counting (e.g., using Thrombo Plus®-tubes, Sarstedt and a Neubauer counting chamber) or slide evaluation must always be done to confirm whether the thrombocytopenia is real or artifactual."

It is heartening that the one patient they saw did fine, though. I'm keeping that candle lit for you both!

View attachment 247632
I did ask a while back about platelet counting and they said it was accurate. I believe them because once he got on prednisone after a few days all his petechiae were gone. It just sucks we have yet another month of him on it. The vet I discussed with today said he did see a cat have it and a while on pred to bring levels back up and took the cat off and it never got it again. He said it's up in the air but a great sign pred basically healed him but he's still having immune responses like the swollen liver spleen and lymph nodes .. the nodes arent as big as last time though. He's being more playful at least. And we do a full dose of meds once a day instead of half twice a day. Hes our little Bubble Boy now and can't ever be vaccinated again but I just hope he can recover and his immune system stops being dumb

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes not sure why she changed it but she said do the whole thing once a day so basically comes to 5mg a day or .5ml since its liquid

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. Wanted to update. Morton is doing wonderful no more swollen lymph nodes or heart murmur! They want him left on the steroids until January said by text book in dogs (nothing said about itp for cats) the standard is 6 months to a year then taper slowly. They will taper him in January but I just wanted to let you guys know about his litter mate Lemmy.

Lemmy's owners called today in tears explaining his symptoms. i told them he has itp too. The vet doesnt know what's wrong but they are taking him to my vet Monday who is treating Morton. Told them they should bring him to the vet who already is actively treating this rare disease. It's just so sad lemmy is doing far worse too even has an ear and kidney infection and fever. Maybe some awful genetic thing. The littermates got so sick in my care during fostering but their sister never got sick. I messaged the owner of the sister and she said shes doing great thankfully no health issues but told her to watch her and check weekly for petechiae

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just the issue with itp is when Morton gets tapered they dont know for sure if he will relapse. They've had two cases in their lives as vets (husband and wife practicing for 25 years) one relapsed after 6 months and put back on for another 6 and tapered and didnt relapse. Other one never relapsed

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. Wanted to update. Morton is doing wonderful no more swollen lymph nodes or heart murmur! They want him left on the steroids until January said by text book in dogs (nothing said about itp for cats) the standard is 6 months to a year then taper slowly. They will taper him in January but I just wanted to let you guys know about his litter mate Lemmy.

Lemmy's owners called today in tears explaining his symptoms. i told them he has itp too. The vet doesnt know what's wrong but they are taking him to my vet Monday who is treating Morton. Told them they should bring him to the vet who already is actively treating this rare disease. It's just so sad lemmy is doing far worse too even has an ear and kidney infection and fever. Maybe some awful genetic thing. The littermates got so sick in my care during fostering but their sister never got sick. I messaged the owner of the sister and she said shes doing great thankfully no health issues but told her to watch her and check weekly for petechiae
@Catxmama - That's wonderful news; I told you your veterinarians were on the ball. Hooray for Morton!

Taking Lemmy to your vets will undoubtedly work out well; please convince Lemmy's owner that this is the most promising course of action.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Catxmama - That's wonderful news; I told you your veterinarians were on the ball. Hooray for Morton!

Taking Lemmy to your vets will undoubtedly work out well; please convince Lemmy's owner that this is the most promising course of action.
I told them that. That this is the best thing they can do. He could have something different since his lymph nodes are so huge but we'll see. they're currently treating his infections with antibiotics and anxiously awaiting to go to my vet Monday

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey again guys. I just wanted to say since the 3 months Morton has been on steroids he has one symptom...pot belly. Is this concerning? He goes in every since 5 weeks to get a CBC to make sure the pred isnt messing with his body. His last test last week was great but the vet said aww yeah hes getting the little belly. Just dont know if I should be concerned. Hes half way to being weaned off

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering how little Mort was doing. Having ITP myself (fortunately, without having to take steroid therapy), I've done some research.

Morton probably is just having water retention. It's a common side effect from the prednisolone. If the veterinarian isn't worried, you shouldn't be, either.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was wondering how little Mort was doing. Having ITP myself (fortunately, without having to take steroid therapy), I've done some research.

Morton probably is just having water retention. It's a common side effect from the prednisolone. If the veterinarian isn't worried, you shouldn't be, either.
I hope you're feeling okay! The vet is obviously concerned but theres not anything to do he must stay on them the full 6 months minimum but hes completely changed the last few weeks acts like a crazy normal kitten he hasnt acted this way since he was about 6 weeks old! She said he is getting a potbelly but didnt say anything about it just kind of tutted and frowned like she was sad but wasnt like oh this is awful

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ITP doesn't of itself hurt or anything like that. I never felt bad, except when I had problems with hemorrhaging. Aside from a slight tendency to bleed more than usual when cut, the only regular symptom I have are a few tiny petichiae at any given time, usually on my forearms (of which, an examination reveals there are three just now).

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ITP doesn't of itself hurt or anything like that. I never felt bad, except when I had problems with hemorrhaging. Aside from a slight tendency to bleed more than usual when cut, the only regular symptom I have are a few tiny petichiae at any given time, usually on my forearms (of which, an examination reveals there are three just now).
Well good! I've noticed it on my arms. I've gotten them for years but my labs are usually decent. Just random patches of them sometimes D: but none on Morton since the 4th day on pred :) Just my chunky boy lol

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was evac'ed during Florence, and am just back home, but I'm glad that things are going fairly well for you both!

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was evac'ed during Florence, and am just back home, but I'm glad that things are going fairly well for you both!
Aww I hope everything's okay with you! Glad you're safe.

Only issue with Morton half way through treatment is his pot belly! He has end of December on pred and weaning off but I'm concerned how chunky hes getting :( the vet just kind of went aww... yeah..

Attachments