Extremely Low Platelet Kitten

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! How are things today? I don't know the answer regarding your question of great blood work results / low platelets.

You're fine regarding posting not to worry! --In about 20-25 posts you'll be able to edit :)

You got my attention with the bad illness while you were fostering him. Did they say anything about that fever and all that he went through? I mean, the vet did comment that vaccines could cause the low platelets?

I dont know, but can a person feed some unseasoned beef broth and canned cat foods with liver to help?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! How are things today? I don't know the answer regarding your question of great blood work results / low platelets.

You're fine regarding posting not to worry! --In about 20-25 posts you'll be able to edit :)

You got my attention with the bad illness while you were fostering him. Did they say anything about that fever and all that he went through? I mean, the vet did comment that vaccines could cause the low platelets?

I dont know, but can a person feed some unseasoned beef broth and canned cat foods with liver to help?
Hi there! Great news I'll post a pic of the email :)
Are you aware of any foods that can help cats increase their iron? Morton is eating Orijen cat food which seems to be the best nutritional source but I think iron is slower to go up if it's the same with humans (I have pernicious anemia so I know all about iron in humans but not other animals)

Screenshot_20180724-112101_Gmail.jpg

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They didnt know of much to say about the illness they thought if it was a vaccine reaction then this should have happened like a month and some ago... shes not sure she just put him on a no vaccination list since he got all of his and he's strictly indoor. He does need a rabies though but the dr said not to for quite some time if hes much better down the road.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
See if you can find foods with liver, or possibly even feed some?
I think be might have to be force fed anything else. He had to be force fed as tiny thing when I fostered him at 5 weeks old... he gained weight the slowest he was skin and bones! To this day he only eats if hes eating with and right next to my big grumpy cat he loves so much for some reason lol but even then I have to keep moving him and gently pushing his face in his food then he eats

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I like your vet, can you all and she move to Denver :thumbsup:. ?
Omg she is fantastic. Her and her husband own the small clinic. Its pricier than any place I've been to but she spends an hour talking to you every time and she emails you anything you need to know. Plus they're both vegans and my fiance and I are too so we love supporting them even more! Haha. Really though that clinic has been nothing but loving. Morton kissed them all yesterday when they drew his blood he was very unhappy being there but the dr brings him back in saying "hes a kisser! He kissed us all on the nose" and he does that all the time! They also burrito them in a warm towel, just such gentle caring people I'm mad I just now learned about them!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had to take a few days off and am SO HAPPY that we have good news about Morton. What a cutie pie he is! And The Grump is a handsome boy, isn't he?

When it comes time to have his rabies vaccine, discuss the non-adjuvant vaccine with your vet. It is the one that is not associated with site sarcomas. I'm willing to bet that she uses that type, anyway, but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great news that Morton’s platelets are on their way up! And they are brand new platelets, so they are working extra well! Please keep us updated on how he does. My Peps gives nose kisses, too :)

Oh, and liver is a good source of iron. But if he’s eating kitten food, he shouldn’t need extra iron unless he’s anemic. You don’t need iron to make platelets and any iron from his bruising should be recycled.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news that Morton’s platelets are on their way up! And they are brand new platelets, so they are working extra well! Please keep us updated on how he does. My Peps gives nose kisses, too :)

Oh, and liver is a good source of iron. But if he’s eating kitten food, he shouldn’t need extra iron unless he’s anemic. You don’t need iron to make platelets and any iron from his bruising should be recycled.
No, but Folate (Vitamin B-9) is essential for platelet production, and domestic cats are very often folic acid deficient.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh already know about the adjuvant stuff :)
Thanks guys! He is anemic though since he was bleeding a lot under the skin. He's not super anemic but they said he was a little.

He just is SO tired and not himself since he started prednisolone last week I hate it :( all he does is sleep. But I know sleeping is healing I just hope he will be okay and himself again.
He has an appt August 8th and the next day we'll see his platelet levels and most likely they'll be back to normal and he will be decreasing the medicine

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give him nutrical and a nutrition supplement of that same brand daily too. And he ears orijen cat food and royan canin wet kitten food

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You feel relieved, and remain watchful for changes...withOUT makeing yourself crazy over it! Day to day, now...then week to week, then month to month. HUGS!