Extra Large Litter Pan

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my cat Moki is about 24 inches long, not including tail. I noticed he was having to spend more time in litter pan, just trying to fit properly. He is very meticulous. I did some googling, and found the litter pan should be one and half the length of cat, which really surprised me. I went to amazon, and ordered him a jumbo litter pan, which measures 25 inches. I will update the status, once its received by June 14.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used the under the bed storage containers too. I also used a concrete mixing pan from Home Depot for a big cat. I like the cheap under the bed containers as they are inexpensive enough to replace.

I hope your new litter pan works. Can you post a picture of it too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes indeed, will post pic once rec.d. Also, thanks for the idea of under bed storage containers for future purchases, as I read somewhere....that litter pans should be replaced every year. Anyone see anything like that?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes indeed, will post pic once rec.d. Also, thanks for the idea of under bed storage containers for future purchases, as I read somewhere....that litter pans should be replaced every year. Anyone see anything like that?
I do replace mine yearly or more often if the bottoms become too scratched up.

You also could just post the link from Amazon!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I also replace mine yearly. I keep a pretty good amount of litter in them but urine still reaches the bottom occasionally. I do wash them periodically, but bacteria can still grow in the scratch marks on the bottom.

I have three Petmate jumbo boxes (22 inches long) and one Frisco high sided box (24 inches long), but I’ve also used Sterilite storage bins and cut out an entry point on the side.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
and ordered him a jumbo litter pan, which measures 25 inches.
Get as big a box as you can as they have more space to turn around and not be crammed in.

I got my boy a 31.1" x 21.5" x 10.25" plastic storage box as his litter box and fill the litter up to 4" high and he loves it.

And yes, I replace the litter box every year and change the litter and wash the litter box every 3 months.

Here's an article on why a large litter box is important :-
whats-the-largest-cat-litter-box-and-why-your-cat-needs-it.33904

And many other articles on litter box care here:-
litterbox-care

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve bought cement mixing tubs for the cat cottage at the sanctuary where I volunteered because they’re so large. You can’t buy a regular litter box that size! The only drawback to them is that they don’t have a coating like the commercial litter boxes so stuff is more likely to stick and they have to be replaced more often. But at the price, that’s not as much of an issue.

This one is 26 x 20 and is only $5.75!
https://www.lowes.com/pd/MacCourt-Drywall-Mud-Pans/1054711

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the great ideas and places to buy...I should get my amazon order Monday...will advise further.

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yay, got the litter pan. Heres amazon description so you can check it out. Petmate Giant Litter Pan High-Capacity Cat Litter Box Blue Mesa Color

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to look at it. They gave me choices, which means I got to see the litter box designed to fit in a corner!!!

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the petmate brands have slippery coating. Before I scoop, I lift all sides of pan, the clumps are spotted easily. And most important factor of all....my Moki loves it!