Environment Causing Cat Stress Or Am I Worrying For Nothing?

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Perhaps this is a silly question...If a situation or environment caused a cat stress, they would avoid it, correct? All of the appliances in my apartment are insanely loud. A/C, dishwasher, washing machine. I can’t even watch TV without the subtitles on. The worst is my washing machine which makes a high pitched, screeching metal noise when it spins, and sometimes goes on for a while (and this is normal for the machine!). It is so piercing. I would assume that if my cat was bothered by the noises, she would go somewhere quiet, right? She wouldn’t sit in the hamper in front of the washing machine as it spun and spun like it was about to take off?

The noises bother me, so I guess I am concerned it’s stressing my cat out considering she has better hearing. We’ve lived here for over a year and she hasn’t gone into hiding when the machine is on, but she’s not one to hide in general.

I’m moving again, too. I’m concerned she’ll be stressed bc cats don’t like change, but she often lays on the boxes (I think she likes being high up). People have been coming to look at the apartment and she’s curious, sniffing people. She runs away sometimes but comes back.

Am I worrying for nothing?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Usually when a cat is stressed, they display behavioral changes, such as over-grooming, not eating, litter box accidents, etc. So if everything with her seems normal, then you are likely worrying for nothing.

Here's some TCS articles on cats and stress with more info that may be helpful.

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress | TheCatSite
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist | TheCatSite
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats | TheCatSite

Here's one on moving, as well.

How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way | TheCatSite

Good luck with your move. Try not to stress yourself out too much, as cats can pick up on our stress.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she was really stressed by the washing machine, she certainly would NOT be sitting in the hamper next to it. You may rest easy about that, at least!

And rubysmama rubysmama is right...try to relax. Cats are little energy sponges. She'll pick up on your stress in a heartbeat. Breath in and out deeply and slowly three times, and let that worry GO!