Elsa's babies

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your doing amazing work! I'm glad it's all been able to work out for all of the kittens and mothers. Poor silky now stuck with another eight weeks of motherhood. Poor girl, she is going to deserve an amazing home after all this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She really will. She's a lovely friendly girl so I'm sure she will get one.

Very funny earlier, Rosie managed to duck out of the bathroom and met Silky face to face. They've been aware of each other through the door for a while. Two tails up, they greeted each other like old buddies!

While this was going on, I had Sooty, one of the newborns as oddly, his eyes are starting to open (he's only 4 days old). I was taking a photo of Sooty and he was crying and *ROSIE* (the mum who doesn't react to her babies crying) came straight over and started licking his head!!!

She has NEVER soothed her own babies like this! Lol!! These babies are bringing out the best in the mamas!

The big boys are doing well. Bruce is getting more adventurous with the food. Still eating sloppy food but with a lot of lumpy bits now.

3 were asleep in their litter tray earlier, while Bruce snuggled a toy mouse.
20170603_143526.jpg
image-0-02-04-645dac6317ed2f3fe0a962f88c12797fac62f22a52b3df92a3ea4004ca23b99e-V.jpg
20170603_150546.jpg

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Silky's big boys, Bruce, Ranger, Oreo and Maverick left us yesterday. They are gone to another fosterer and will be going to their forever homes over the next week. All 4 had mastered eating solids and were just bundles of pure energy. As I also have 2 other kitten families, it was nice to be able to share the load with another fosterer. Our now traditional leaving photo with the kids!

20170609_094203.jpg

Rosie's family are coming on really well. At least 3 are eating solid food well. They are 5 weeks old now. They are all stunning looking too.
IMG_20170606_210712.jpg

Silky continues to amaze me. I kept her in the carrier up until yesterday (10 days old) as although she was more than willing to feed once in the carrier she wasn't exactly choosing to spend time with them!

Yesterday I needed the carrier to bring Rosie to the vet and I put Silky and kittens into the crate to see what happened. Initially she hid in the litter tray so I took that out and then she fed them! She ended up lying on her back with babies on her belly!!

She's doing well in the crate today. I've seen her feed a few times already. The babies are mobile enough to chase her if she tries to hide.

Their weight gain is quite slow so I'm hoping the move to the crate and maybe being more comfortable will help them to feed more.

20170609_232909.jpg

20170610_124210.jpg

IMG_20170606_210521.jpg
20170609_222420.jpg

20170609_222726.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I love the pictures! :redheartpump:

I hope this current litter that Silky is nursing will gain more weight now. :)

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brilliant! Hope your kids are proud of their mummy too looking after these kittens ! Do they get to choose which kitten the hold for the photo ? :)

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do they get to choose which kitten the hold for the photo ? :)
Usually each child names a kitten so they hold the one they named.
5 of Silky's original 6 have gone to their new homes. Bruce is still waiting as his home fell through. He's with another fosterer and doing great.

Rosie's babies are over 6 weeks now. 4 of them are eating solids the last week or more. Suki has yet to start. They are like vultures at feeding time but Rosie is brilliant, she lets them eat and eats herself when they are finished. So many mammies eat the food first.

Silky is doing really well raising her new family. They are 19 days old now and sitting upright, getting more mobile, playing with each other and trying to drink her water. Their weight gains have been steady and even Chance the tiniest guy is putting on good amounts each day.

Silky and Rosie are good friends now. They each visit the other with her family. There's never any aggression between them and they are happy to share food and let the other see her babies.

I'm really hoping they get a home together. It would be lovely! I wish I could keep them myself but 5 cats would be just too many for me. Well 5 of my own. Obviously there's been times when we had 18 in total in the house!!

Silky is very good with the babies in the crate but if I give her a litter tray in the crate, she hides in it and gets cross with the babies if they try to find her. I've been leaving her without a tray and using a puppy training pad in case she needs to pee or poo.

I let her out for litter tray / me time breaks and then she goes back in.

Here is a mix of photos!
20170618_223532.jpg
20170618_223813.jpg
20170617_105351.jpg
20170617_104528.jpg
20170617_105136.jpg
20170617_004959.jpg
20170611_102023.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does the first little black kitten have medicine in its eyes?

It's nice to hear how well they all get along! :)

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What you're seeing in his eye is his inner eyelid but yes, he did have an infection in that eye that was being treated with ointment. He's fine now. A couple of them have had one sticky eye each. But they've responded well to the medicine. Thankfully that's the only health issue these guys have had.

I can't believe how well these two mamas get on! I guess they were familiar with each other's scent for quite a while and maybe the fact I swapped their locations helped as each kept trying to get to where they had previously been! Or maybe it's because neither has a very strong maternal urge so both are happy to hand their babies to anyone who wants them !!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update ! Silky still has her little ways it seems however and is doing well ! Love picture of mum cats hanging out together !

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow so much to update! Where do I start?

Silky's kittens all went to forever homes and she continued to feed the 4 orphans till they were 5 weeks old. At that stage I was only weighing the kittens weekly and they didn't put on any weight the last week so I felt her milk had dried up and she knew she was done.

By this time Rosie's kittens were over 8 weeks, 3 had gone to forever homes and the other 2 were going a week later. Rosie and Silky had always got on and when Silky decided enough was enough, I put her babies in the crate with Rosie - they had been hanging out together and Rosie would go around licking the kittens and fussing over them.

On that day Silky gave up feeding, she ran around the room and refused to let me catch her. The kittens were getting distressed so I when put them in the crate with Rosie, she just started feeding them like they were her own!!

She loved looking after them and has been a great mammy to them. That was about 2 weeks ago and you'd swear they were her own babies.

Silky was spayed on Thursday and is hoping for a forever home soon. She's enjoying her retirement from motherhood!

The 4 kittens that Rosie is now raising are doing well, however they are very small. One in particular (Chance) is tiny. They will be 7 weeks on Tuesday and he's only 280g today. The vet has seen him and says he's healthy and just small and will catch up.

He's only in the last few days started to eat the little pieces of food instead of just licking the gravy. His weight gain is just very slow for whatever reason, but in every other way he's doing great. His eyes turned fully green by 3-4 weeks and he's got the big kitten ears but he is only the size of a 2-3 weeker. He's full of energy and curiosity too.

His siblings are all different sizes - Sophie is small too, 365g, Sooty is 491g and Mabel is 606g!

Obviously the smaller ones won't be ready for homes for a good while yet.

First 4 photos are Rosie's 5 kittens.
Makota (tabby ) and Rin
20170701_185811.jpg

Tilly
20170604_150839.jpg

Suki
20170604_150635.jpg

James
20170606_201944.jpg

Chance ....can of fruit to show size
20170713_114350.jpg
20170713_112525.jpg
20170713_112322.jpg

The girls Mabel (L) and Sophie (R)
20170711_182440.jpg

Sooty...hes not being choked, I swear!
20170711_182210.jpg

Chance again as he's so cute!
20170628_114004.jpg

Sophie
20170626_163256.jpg

Hanging out together! Chance is at the green bowl...look how teeny.
20170709_174156.jpg

Silky.
20170711_151610.jpg

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you ! Bet silky was so happy to be spayed !!! No wonder she ran off as soon as her milk was done . She was done fantastically though what with being a reluctant mother . Chance is so tiny - if you had put him next to the can wouldnt have known how small he really is . How many do you have now? These posts make me want to come over to Ireland for a cuddle! My hubby's dad is irish and I keep saying we have to go to Galway where they are however he doesn't want to !!!

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes you're so right! Silky had made up her mind and there was no changing it. She's a real character, full of mischief with a glint in her eye. She's been sooo calm since her op. I have her crated just in case she decides to go running around the room but I really thought she'd be chewing her way out by now but she's happy to just rest.

At the moment, I only have Silky, Rosie and the 4 kittens - I've been scaling down as I'm going on holidays on the 25th so the 6 I have will go to another fosterer.

Our team of fosterers is growing. Our 10th one just joined us.

Sadly we are losing a lot of kittens to some illness- probably a virus as antibiotics are not helping. It starts with vomiting and listlessness and they go downhill very quickly. They could be dead in under 24 hours from first appearing unwell.

Galway is lovely but if you do ever decide to come, remember that it rains a lot in Ireland! Lol especially in the West where Galway is!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah and very expensive !!! Been to Dublin and cork and both nearly broke the bank !

Sorry to hear about the kittens - I've read other threads on here re Ill kittens. I hope silky gets her forever home soon . She deserves a break and with no more kittens !! She probably doesn't want to see one again

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd love to see Silky and Rosie going together but I don't know if that will happen. They get on so well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hurray for Silky! She was a champ for a long time.

The babies are adorable and look very healthy.

Were Champ or the others supplemented early on?

The tinies definitely should not be fixed or adopted until they are at least 2 pounds each. As you said, this could take a few weeks.

Make sure this group does not go to a foster home that has had any of the illness you described whatsoever. It will wipe them out. The virus can live for up to a year.

The illness you describe is likely panleukopenia. We've seen it on some of our recent threads. It is very contagious and deadly.

It's great to hear from you that things are going well! :)