Elsa's babies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These runts can really surprise us with their feisty spirits! :redheartpump:
She has it in bucketloads!

She's hilarious when I feed her, gives out to me the whole time. But that makes it easier as it means she's opening her mouth. I wrap her like a burrito and she has nowhere to go.

I really want her to make it...shes the only girl and someone needs to keep those brothers in line!! Lol

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pippin and one of her brothers
20170416_102502.jpg

Pippin
20170415_144844.jpg

Oreo - the markings on his back look like an Oreo cookie!
20170417_010435.jpg

Bruce - aka Batman as he has a Batman mask!
20170417_163125.jpg

Maverick
20170417_162527.jpg

Oreo relaxing!
20170417_201521.jpg

These last two are called Ranger and Mac but we need to figure out which is which.
20170417_201531.jpg
20170417_201608.jpg

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Silky had a small bleed today (there was fresh red blood stains on one of her blankets) It was a small amount, 3 patches maybe an inch by half inch each. I presume this is normal?

One of Elsa's kittens, Lilly, did a whopper poo in the litter tray! First one we've seen. It was like proper grown up poo. Very proud of her! Lol

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very normal behavior for Silky.

Now that Lilly is using the litter box, you will find that her siblings will soon copy her.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They've definitely been using the tray for pee as I know it's not Elsa as it's a smaller tray and she doesn't use it as she doesn't really fit so they are getting the idea.

Was so funny Elsa straight away sprang into action and cleaned Lilly's bum after she used the tray....reminded me of how human mammies can't resist cleaning the face of a passing grubby child. Old habits die hard!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens are adorable! Oreo definitely has the laid back thing down! Little Pippin is tiny!

Funny how we get so excited over kitten poop, but it is very important!

Mom will spot for 7-10 days as her uterus bleeds. Nothing to worry about unless it's a hemorrhage.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pippin is tiny with a big attitude. :hearthrob:

I just love the one of Oreo chilling. I hope he's always this relaxed!

It's funny, Elsa's birth was so "clean" in comparison to Silky's. I never saw any blood or bodily fluids with Elsa...she just cleaned everything. Silky's "delivery suite" was like there'd been a massacre! I used a huge pile of towels and blankets. Hilarious.

I've been thinking about her labour/delivery and I'm still very puzzled about what happened - the placentas not delivering with the kittens. Why do you think that happened? Every kitten was left hanging from her bum by it's cord for up to 35 minutes.

I know #3 pushed #2 out of the way and broke his cord as #3 came from the other horn of the uterus, but I'm still puzzled why none of the placentas came with the kittens.

Is this common? Maybe her contractions weren't strong enough?

Thankfully it's not a problem she will have again but it's something I could encounter again with a future foster.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be that she needed to rest before pushing again. But you're right, normally the placenta comes with the kitten.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, she gave birth to the kitten and not the placenta, so the kitten was left hanging from her bum. I had to support the weight of the kitten to try stop it getting hurt and she was a bit freaked out and distressed. I tried to tie off the chord of the first one but it was just too difficult as there was maybe only an inch of umbilical cord visible and she was too agitated to sit still.

The first placenta was finally delivered 35 minutes after the kitten.

The others didn't take as long and I managed to get her to lie down for the most part. I stroked her side firmly to see if it would help bring on a contraction and the other placentas were quicker but still maybe 10-15 minutes after the kitten.

This happened for all six kittens though #2 was forcibly ejected (his cord broke) by the arrival of #3 kitten. I understand #3 could have come from the other horn so bypassed #2's placenta but you'd think if she was contracting enough to expel kitten #3 that placenta #2 would have been delivered.

It was very strange!

As you can imagine, quite a stressful birth for the young mum. I surprised myself how calm I was!!

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Day 5 weights...

#1 - 152g [+24] - Oreo
#2 - 162g [+20] - Maverick
#3 - 178g [+25] - Mac
#4 - 100g [+14] - Pippin :banana1::banana1::banana1:
#5 - 176g [+18] - Bruce
#6 - 157g [+15] - Ranger

** Excuse me while I do a happy dance ** :lol:

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahhh just when things are going well.

I've just witnessed Silky being really aggressive with the babies. More than just scolding. One little guy was trying to feed and she was biting him. Not just on his neck but anywhere she could grab. His tummy, his leg, his ear. I moved him to the pile of sleeping babies and she went after him! She then turned her attention to a sleeping baby. And then Pippin who was quietly feeding.

I think she must be in pain. Something isn't right. I'm bringing them to the vet in an hour and a half. They don't open till then.

Should I transport them in two crates? I know the babies should stay with mum but I'm afraid she'll lose it with them on the drive. It's 20 minutes by car.

I'm so upset for them.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no. I've just seen Silky trying to toss them around like they do with a mouse. I've separated them and I'm going to give each kitten some krm before we go to the vet. They are looking to feed now.