Elsa's babies

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All sounds good. The pain meds do sound needed.

It appears she has her way of doing things and would prefer less interference.

At this point the most important thing is the babies eating well and gaining weight, and mom feeling better. Yesterday was such a big day! Hopefully today will be calm and smooth. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Exactly. She's only my second pregnant foster so I'm still learning and I'm realising more than ever that every cat is different.

I guess like human mamas some are very laid back, others less so. And with such a big family, Silky has to be a bit stricter with them.

Or she could be like the trainee teacher my son had who kept handing out punishments to the whole class for fear of losing control of the class! She was inexperienced. Lol

A precious moment where all 6 were feeding at the same time! Pippin in the middle!
20170419_003035.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, and it's a huge adjustment for a new mom!

What a milk party! :woo:

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wouldn't surprise me to know that Silky is a first-time mom.
She has to be, she's only a baby herself. The rescue think she's about 10 months old. Her face is really small and babyish.

I'm still not totally at ease with her behaviour. I just saw her dealing with a single kitten while the rest were sleeping. He was crying out and actually ran away from her a couple of times. But he really wanted to feed so kept coming back.

I videoed the end part of it but I don't know how to put video on here? I'd really appreciate feedback on it if it's possible to post it.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I videoed the end part of it but I don't know how to put video on here? I'd really appreciate feedback on it if it's possible to post it.
The way I do it, which is a bit of a palaver, is to upload it to YouTube & then copy the link from YouTube. If there's an easier way, I don't know it.

Last edited:

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've just spoken to the shelter manager and we are going to try getting Elsa to foster two of Silky's babies.

We feel that Silky is trying her best - she's really being a good mammy : sometimes, but she's overwhelmed and lashing out as she's exhausted.

It's like when she has "scheduled" feeds she does everything right and has her routine of cleaning and feeding but if a baby comes looking when it's not feeding time, she gets irritated.

Is there a correct way to do this to ensure Elsa will accept them? I'm thinking of picking the two biggish guys who bully Pippin and leave Pippin with mom.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just try it right now. Others have experience of this, but I can't remember what they specifically posted. Maybe try one new kitten at a time rather than two with Elsa. If Elsa won't take the two males, then try little Pippin alone.

Looking on the bright side - you sure are learning a lot.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
YouTube is how we upload videos. I want to see this first, but if you move 2 babies, it should be the bigger ones.

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that's a very good idea. And yes it should be the two largest, they will hold their own better against the six week Olds.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hope this works. This clip was at the end of a more aggressive period which lasted a few minutes. It was his crying that alerted me to the fact something wasn't right.

Afterwards she settled and fed him.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch, that's not good. She's almost treating him like prey. Remove any kitten ASAP when she does this in future.

Move to Plan B right away. Others have given you good advice to try the bigger males first.

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It almost looks to me like she is being playful. I wonder if when she does this if you tried some gentle play with a wand toy if that would distract/satisfy her. But yes this is pretty rough for a kitten just a few days old. Hopefully some more experienced members can provide some insight.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I'd say she's an overly enthusiastic new mom at the least. At the most, she's a bit over the top, but she's not hurting the kitten. It's just that she's not really cleaning the kitten either. She appears to be roughing him up a bit because she can. She will certainly have well-behaved kittens by the time they are ready for adoption, that's for sure.

Is this why you feel that 2 kittens need to move over to Elsa? How often does Silky do this? Does she do it to all of the kittens, or just certain kittens? Is this as bad as it gets? How long does it go on?

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She does spend a good deal of time cleaning them, they are well cared for. It's almost like she has regular feed times where everyone gets a good wash and then feed (and that'll be the whole 6 kittens) but outside of those times if a kitten approaches her, she's like this.

Her behaviour is just erratic. Which is what worries me. Just when I think she's getting the hang of being a good mom she seems to lose it.

I've seen her try to toss a kitten like a cat does with a mouse.

It's hard to know if she's hurting him or not...that baby cried and tried to run away. Other times I've seen her being firm and holding them still but they aren't crying.

It doesn't seem to be any particular kittens, just whoever irritates her at the time. She tried it with Pippin last night, and a couple of the boys.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that Silky may need some one-on-one attention or playtime herself to relieve her stress and aggression.

The kittens are too young to be treated this way. There is always the chance she might inadvertantly hurt one. Have you considered closing mom out of the nest unless it's feeding time? This way she could not get to them and she would be forced to get a nice break.

You can go ahead and move the two biggest ones though if you'd like, and see how it goes. This will leave you watching their adjustment with Elsa, as well as continuing to supervise Silky with the remaining four.