Does Your Significant Other Help With Cat Chores?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a great question! Alas, no, I am the sole care provider for our three furry felines. But to be fair it's probably more by choice. If I asked my partner he'd gladly clean the litter boxes and feed Atticus, Thirteen and Bella Roma. . . but I'm really picky about that stuff so I do it. Plus, I like doing it. My cats are all raw fed so I make all the food too. Interestingly enough my partner was super hands-on with our human children. Now, if I happen to be out or something he would certainly clean the litter box and feed them. That goes without saying.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a great question! Alas, no, I am the sole care provider for our three furry felines. But to be fair it's probably more by choice. If I asked my partner he'd gladly clean the litter boxes and feed Atticus, Thirteen and Bella Roma. . . but I'm really picky about that stuff so I do it. Plus, I like doing it. My cats are all raw fed so I make all the food too. Interestingly enough my partner was super hands-on with our human children. Now, if I happen to be out or something he would certainly clean the litter box and feed them. That goes without saying.
I'm the same way. I make raw for the cats and give them their omega 3s for dinner every night. 2 out of 3 cats get canned in the morning are on a rotation that lasts for 8 days. My bf would never be able to keep track of all that haha. I leave out the cans I want him to use while I'm on travel. I'm just thankful I have someone to cover me while I travel 3-10 days every quarter so I don't have to board them.

Catlove3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the first 16 years of my marriage we didn’t have a cat because my husband hated cats. 2.5 years ago we got our first cat with the understanding he’d have nothing to do with him and I was ok with. However now I think he has warmed up to him. I do all the cat care (feeding, buying food, changing litter) but he will feed him and scoop litter if I’m out of town. Within the last week he’s even fed him on his own.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the first 16 years of my marriage we didn’t have a cat because my husband hated cats. 2.5 years ago we got our first cat with the understanding he’d have nothing to do with him and I was ok with. However now I think he has warmed up to him. I do all the cat care (feeding, buying food, changing litter) but he will feed him and scoop litter if I’m out of town. Within the last week he’s even fed him on his own.
My goodness there would have been no marriage if no cat in my case lol.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, kittyluv387 kittyluv387 -- I wasn't going to say, because I wouldn't have been that nice, but I would never continue a relationship with a man who didn't LOVE cats. Period.
Yeah, really. It's like the kid talk for me. Would never have kids but I must have felines/pets in my life! Anyone who disagrees with either is a gonner.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, really. It's like the kid talk for me. Would never have kids but I must have felines/pets in my life! Anyone who disagrees with either is a gonner.
Me, too, on the kids AND on CATS. I was just telling Elvis that without the love of cats in my life, I have no idea where I'd be, but it wouldn't be pretty.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me, too, on the kids AND on CATS. I was just telling Elvis that without the love of cats in my life, I have no idea where I'd be, but it wouldn't be pretty.
Same for me, -kids +Cats. Both are non-negotiable.

Though honestly I have no need of a significant other either, the good Lord would pretty much have to literally drop someone in my lap and say "Here, marry her".

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same for me, -kids +Cats. Both are non-negotiable.

Though honestly I have no need of a significant other either, the good Lord would pretty much have to literally drop someone in my lap and say "Here, marry her".
Same here, after 3 official exes and more unofficial exes than most people in Hollywood go through. I'm so done with that.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Talien Talien And more power to us for that! Staying true to our beliefs and not wavering due to the fear of being alone, a lot of people can't do that. It's very empowering and liberating to be in charge of our own lives.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here, after 3 official exes and more unofficial exes than most people in Hollywood go through. I'm so done with that.
Wow. That sounds like the plot for a horror movie.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Talien Talien And more power to us for that! Staying true to our beliefs and not wavering due to the fear of being alone, a lot of people can't do that. It's very empowering and liberating to be in charge of our own lives.
Yes it is, not being tied down to someone else and wondering whether they'll approve of what we do is nice. But we're not alone though, we have our Cats and for me that's plenty good enough.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. That sounds like the plot for a horror movie.

Yes it is, not being tied down to someone else and wondering whether they'll approve of what we do is nice. But we're not alone though, we have our Cats and for me that's plenty good enough.
Exactly. When people ask if I live alone, I always say, "No." Because I don't. Cats are not "less than" humans. In my family, cats have always been FAMILY - members of a different species, but no less important, well regarded, or loved.
And yeah, I'm intensely social (in regards to people, as well as cats) but I prefer living without a human "significant other" at this time, anyway. I've gotten pretty tired of a lot of the downside of being in a relationship. I'm not looking. I'm not lonely. I'm not "without" except in the sense of not having to deal with a lot of negative stuff. Of course, it's nice to be taken to dinner and a movie, for a drive, etc., but it's not a big deal to someone who's done a LOT of "all of the above."