Does Your Significant Other Help With Cat Chores?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I feed them breakfast, while Rick is taking The Beast out for her first pee. Then I feed The Beast. Rick feeds everybody supper because he gets home from work before I do. On weekends, I usually feed everybody breakfast, lunch, and supper with snacks at appropriate times (including Rick!).

I scoop Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Rick does the trash on Wednesday nights, so he does the boxes then, too. He also scoops on the weekends (sometimes I'll do Saturday).

Rarely do I take The Beast out to pee, maybe once a month, if even that. And when Rick has to go away for union business, he boards her at the kennel. I will not take care of her.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, I do everything myself. Of course it's just me and my 4 Cats so it's not like I have anyone to share taking care of them with anyway.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He says he won't do anything that will make the cats mad at him, like grooming. He will feed if I am sick. He does the boxes if I am out of town. I do 99.999% of the vet visits because I drive him crazy with questions if he takes them in. I also decide when they need to go - I tend to pick up on illnesses earlier than he does. His main job is to spoil them and love on them. I do the grunt work!:lol: The dogs are his responsibility although I do the grooming, vet visits and feeding there too.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband does the cat boxes 100%, unless he happens to be out of town for some reason. That means the sweeping/vacuuming whatever that goes with it.

We both will do meals, me mornings since I'm up first, him dinners/snacks as he's basically retired and home during the day.

I'm the one who orders the food/litter/toys; mostly online. I'm also the one who cleans/fills the water fountain - both of those mainly because I have a better memory than he does :p

Vet visits we both attend together so we are on top of health issues with full knowledge.

He's better at nail trims although we typically splurge and let the vet handle that. Both of us play and groom our cat, we enjoy the bonding experience it provides.

Either of us will p/u vomit/hairballs etc - whomever sees it first

Overall I think we have a balanced way of taking care of Cocoa.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a lot of different responses. But a lot of us TCS users do majority of the work. Not surprising since we’re very passionate about cat care. I think I should hand off the weekly feline acne maintenance off to my BFF after reviewing all the cat chores. :)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to beg my BF to go to the pet food store when we were out, especially when I started trying wet food. Literally beg. :lol:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh right, hairballs/vomit.

Whoever finds it first cleans it.
That's how we do it. :agree:

DH feeds the cats in the mornings since he's up first (which means he's usually first to spot any hairballs/puke, too.) :yess: :lol:

I feed them in the evenings. We share scooping litter box duties but I'm the one who cleans and changes the boxes monthly.

I give meds, trim their nails, and brush them. He does the evening wand toy playing with them.

He will take a cat to the vet if I ask him but honestly I prefer to do it myself. Otherwise, when he gets back, I'm badgering him: "Did you ask this? What did she say about that?" :lol:

I order food/meds, usually online; he makes runs to Petco for litter.

It's pretty balanced. :)

Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We split the daily chores: he feeds them breakfast, I feed them dinner. Litter box detail is every other day: I scoop one day, and he scoops the next day. I have paid for all the food and litter, but that's only because I order it online and I am too lazy to do the receipts to get the 50% reimbursement from him. (Our finances are separate and we split household costs 50/50.) We go to the vet together. This sharing is consistent with the rest of our lives, though. I do not subscribe to any ideas of "women's work". He washes his own dirty laundry!

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am the cat dad of the household, I feed them, buy all their toys, research health and nutrition topics, and play with them. My girlfriend cuddles them, and helps clean their litter boxes. I don't mind most of the time because my 4 cats look at me like I'm actually their parent. The love they show when I come home from work and get ready to feed them is priceless!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my ex and I were together, he did far more than half the cat-related work in our Mojave home -- buying the supplies and unloading them, taking to vet (sometimes with me, sometimes not, depending on schedules), dumping and replenishing our big box in the barn compound, etc. I fed, watered, cleaned, did litter, brushed, clipped claws, cleaned "accidents", etc. Now, of course, I do it all!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we share everything except scooping the litter boxes, I do this since I am addicted to checking their daily poos - judge me as much as you want, fellow cat lovers :-)

oh, and also I am the one researching and shopping for them, but I don't consider it a chore. Actually, even feeding them is pleasure for us...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we share everything except scooping the litter boxes, I do this since I am addicted to checking their daily poos - judge me as much as you want, fellow cat lovers :-)

oh, and also I am the one researching and shopping for them, but I don't consider it a chore. Actually, even feeding them is pleasure for us...
I know what you mean, She's a witch She's a witch -- I really love shopping for my beloved cats! I'm quite sad that the place I've ordered their supplies from for years has closed/merged with Petco, but I'm sure I'll still enjoy the experience, if a bit less than before due to the closing of my absolute favorite business.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Forgot about vet visits. We take the kids down together. We usually take 3 cats at a time, so we both need to handle carriers. And it's no problem for us. I schedule their visits for a time when we're both at home and can do it together. Even The Beast gets us both when it's time for a vet appt. It's really rare when only one of us takes a furkid to the vet.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He will scoop the box when I ask him to do it. When it needs a total change, he takes the box outside and scrubs it will I fill a new one. When it comes time to visit the vet, he goes too. He loves Snoop just like I do.