Does Your Cat Sleep In The Bed With You? If So, What Position Does Kitty Usually End Up In?

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Took some cat naps with the shelter kitties today. I love how some of them fall asleep facing you as they stare at you lovingly. Other kitties will sleep with his/her head barely touching yours. Like you're close enough to feel the other's hair but not actually bumping heads.

Overall sleeping with kitties is the best!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We, Hekitty and I, have a king-sized bed. I get to sleep on a 23" (yes, I measured) strip on the far left-hand side. She gets the rest of the bed, and basically rolls around it all night long. I used to have to stay right in the middle, but this past year she has shifted me to one side.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow has a spot she prefers at the far corner of the bed but has been experimenting for the last few months with sleeping by my head. The problem with that is that she must always be facing away from me so she is ready to run which puts her butt right next to my nose. I have to gently try to wrap her tail around her to give me some butt buffer without spooking her. Works some times, other times not. Fortunately, she doesn't stay long before going to her corner.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten usually isn't on the bed when I go to sleep, but she's usually right at my feet when I wake up. I know, because I tend to shuffle my feet a bit as I'm waking and she gets unintentionally shoved. Then she wraps her claws around my feet and bunny thumps and bites them. Every morning. It's fun. :crackup: :paperbag:

Last winter, she was more of a snuggler up around my chest, where it's safer for both of us. We'll see what happens when the nights are colder. I've had cats who were only winter snugglers but didn't want to be touching during warm seasons, so here's hoping.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is the typical arrangement with me on the right side of the cats.
IMG_20170904_225231_876.jpg

Usually they are more stretched in summer. Closer and curled in the winter. Rocket usually has a paw, at least, touching me. When she is more anxious she will lean into me more. Both of them will lay on top of me (Link on my feet and Rocket across my body) if I am moving around too much.

I'd say they sleep with me 60% of the time, sometimes one and sometimes both. Some nights they prefer my parents room with Nightfury. Link sometimes prefers to crash on the cat tree with his head in the window (which I am not allowed to close unless its raining). Sometimes Rocket likes to sleep alone in random nooks and other times she is on the couch after I've gone to bed. Those nights are funny because I will feel her flop on the bed and pass out when she realizes I went to bed.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love this thread! Saipha sleeps on my pillow right above my head, occasionally curled up around my head if it's cold. In the morning, after the dawn chase-each-other-up-and-down-the-hall-romp with my kitten Mishka, she'll snuggle up by my side or decide to fall asleep resting all 12 of her pounds across my neck :doh:. Mishka sleeps at the foot of the bed, at least the part of the night when she isn't doing couch parkour.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My boy sleeps on my bed every night and he takes a small corner next to my head. He has his own pillow and he does not move to other parts of the bed to sleep.

Position wise is curled up, laying straight on his side or on his back with his four legs in the air. Else will be his bum or hind legs in my face :rolleyes:

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

FullSizeRender 9.jpg

MoxieinMaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten generally likes to sleep between me and my husband, but if I lie on my back, she'll snuggle up around my neck and chest :redheartpump: She used to plop herself down directly on my face (attempt to smother me?), but she's getting too big for that and usually rolls off it she tries. She's also discovered that both of us move around a lot in our sleep and lately has moved down to our feet. We also had her cat carrier in our room for a few nights next to our bed and she started sleeping in there. Now she'll often spend some of the night there, then join us later. We never meant to leave the carrier in our room, but after discovering how much she enjoys it, of course it had to stay!

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad this thread was made!
A couple of months ago I made a thread about how my spooky wasn't cuddling with me anymore. When I got his sibling Salem he started acting a little differently. I gave him some space for a couple of days and he was back to cuddling.
My kitten is still so small, so sometimes I find her sleeping on my tummy and I awake to her there.
Spooky on the other hand is almost always at my feet when he chooses too. ;)

image.jpg

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sleep in their own "kitty bed" made of a large old towel formed into a circle. It's on top of the covers at the foot of the bed at one side. Neither of them would use the store-bought cat bed I got for them, so I made this up. They've always slept this way and seem to prefer it.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Both Chula and Paul sleep with me, Chula on the right side of my head and Paul either on the left or in a box at the foot of the bed. Chula has an entire routine about going to bed at night. She has to be loved and stroked for about 15 minutes while she preens and rubs against a nearby lampshade. If I stop before she is ready, she touches me with her nose or very gently with one paw. When she's had enough, she lies down as close to me as she can get and goes to sleep. Here she is with her head on the pillow.

IMG_1654 copy.jpg

Here is Paul in his box at the foot of the bed. He likes to knead my left side for about 10 minutes before he settles down. Since he doesn't have a set bedtime like Chula, I am often awakened in the early hours of the morning when he announces his presence by battering my side.
:cutecat::eek2: :sleepycat:

IMG_4745.jpg

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have trained Cucumella to sleep on the right edge of the bed next to me. But she "demands" that I lie facing her. If at any time I turn around facing the other side of the bed she will immediately come over to the other edge of the bed and start pushing me paws and head until I turn back to the original position. She will not have me turning my back on her.

In the morning when I lie for a while on my back she will lie stretchedout on my chest pawing my face now and then chirping away to remind me it's time to get up.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, I have to expand on Hekitty's bedtime story, so to speak. There is an entire routine we go through every....single...night. FIRST, I "assume the position." I get on my strip of the bed, lying on my right side, facing the center. Right arm extended, elbow bent and holding up the covers. THEN I have to announce, "I have a kitty cat cave, but there's no kitty cat in it!" Enter said kitty cat. THEN I have to tell her that the most beautiful kitty cat in the world is in the kitty cat cave. At that point, she snuggles up against me and starts kneading at my elbow and nuzzling (classic smurgle, minus the drool). I then have to sing, "Hush little kitty cat, don't say a word" ALL THE WAY THROUGH. Once the song is done, I have to tell her about going to the market and bringing the "mockybird" home for her to chase, and how tasty the "mockybird" will be, and about her chasing it and catching it and eating it, leaving only the beak and feets, lying in a pile of cat-spit covered feathers (and God help me if I leave part of it out, she knows, and will growl until I start all over from the beginning of the dratted song). Once her story is done, she lays her head on my shoulder and naps for about 10 minutes (and remember, I'm holding the dratted covers up to make the cave all this time). Then she gets up and proceeds to ignore me and roll around the rest of the bed for the night.

If I DARE to fall asleep before she comes to bed, she will put her paw in my mouth and pull on my cheek to wake me up.

Have I mentioned recently that this feline rules my home with an iron paw?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I have trained Cucumella to sleep on the right edge of the bed next to me. But she "demands" that I lie facing her. If at any time I turn around facing the other side of the bed she will immediately come over to the other edge of the bed and start pushing me paws and head until I turn back to the original position. She will not have me turning my back on her.

In the morning when I lie for a while on my back she will lie stretchedout on my chest pawing my face now and then chirping away to remind me it's time to get up.
:wave3:Ask her if she will let you sleep in the middle so then when you roll over she could just jump over you to sleep on the other side.:lol: :lol2:
OK, I have to expand on Hekitty's bedtime story, so to speak. There is an entire routine we go through every....single...night. FIRST, I "assume the position." I get on my strip of the bed, lying on my right side, facing the center. Right arm extended, elbow bent and holding up the covers. THEN I have to announce, "I have a kitty cat cave, but there's no kitty cat in it!" Enter said kitty cat. THEN I have to tell her that the most beautiful kitty cat in the world is in the kitty cat cave. At that point, she snuggles up against me and starts kneading at my elbow and nuzzling (classic smurgle, minus the drool). I then have to sing, "Hush little kitty cat, don't say a word" ALL THE WAY THROUGH. Once the song is done, I have to tell her about going to the market and bringing the "mockybird" home for her to chase, and how tasty the "mockybird" will be, and about her chasing it and catching it and eating it, leaving only the beak and feets, lying in a pile of cat-spit covered feathers (and God help me if I leave part of it out, she knows, and will growl until I start all over from the beginning of the dratted song). Once her story is done, she lays her head on my shoulder and naps for about 10 minutes (and remember, I'm holding the dratted covers up to make the cave all this time). Then she gets up and proceeds to ignore me and roll around the rest of the bed for the night.

If I DARE to fall asleep before she comes to bed, she will put her paw in my mouth and pull on my cheek to wake me up.

Have I mentioned recently that this feline rules my home with an iron paw?
:crackup::flail::lol2: :lol: :salute: :thud: