Does Your Cat Sleep In The Bed With You? If So, What Position Does Kitty Usually End Up In?

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I have to expand on Hekitty's bedtime story, so to speak. There is an entire routine we go through every....single...night. FIRST, I "assume the position." I get on my strip of the bed, lying on my right side, facing the center. Right arm extended, elbow bent and holding up the covers. THEN I have to announce, "I have a kitty cat cave, but there's no kitty cat in it!" Enter said kitty cat. THEN I have to tell her that the most beautiful kitty cat in the world is in the kitty cat cave. At that point, she snuggles up against me and starts kneading at my elbow and nuzzling (classic smurgle, minus the drool). I then have to sing, "Hush little kitty cat, don't say a word" ALL THE WAY THROUGH. Once the song is done, I have to tell her about going to the market and bringing the "mockybird" home for her to chase, and how tasty the "mockybird" will be, and about her chasing it and catching it and eating it, leaving only the beak and feets, lying in a pile of cat-spit covered feathers (and God help me if I leave part of it out, she knows, and will growl until I start all over from the beginning of the dratted song). Once her story is done, she lays her head on my shoulder and naps for about 10 minutes (and remember, I'm holding the dratted covers up to make the cave all this time). Then she gets up and proceeds to ignore me and roll around the rest of the bed for the night.

If I DARE to fall asleep before she comes to bed, she will put her paw in my mouth and pull on my cheek to wake me up.

Have I mentioned recently that this feline rules my home with an iron paw?
All is well with the world then Mamany.

Oliver chooses the foot of the bed somewhere in the middle so it's not intrusive until he wakes up about 2am and starts pretending he loves me and wants cuddling. The truth is he wants feeding.

Chubchub sleeps ON my granddaughter's head or chest.

Betty's a mystery, probably at her second or third home somewhere.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes Ruby sleeps on the bed with me, but not always. More often during the winter, though. In fact, when it's cold she will often nudge my head during the night and I simply lift the covers and she slithers in and snuggles beside me. In the summer when she decides to sleep on the bed she settles for either the foot of the bed or up against me, but on top of the covers.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:wave3:Ask her if she will let you sleep in the middle so then when you roll over she could just jump over you to sleep on the other side.:lol: :lol2:

:crackup::flail::lol2: :lol: :salute: :thud:
Thanks dustydiamond but I'm afraid THAT wouldn't work. Cucumella has a very logical mind .After having learned what her place is on the bed through painful training (being sent out of the bedroom all night when failing to lie in the right place) she would not understand contradictory orders. She expects ME too to respect our arrangement: she must occupy her place and I must lie facing her. FULL STOP

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Samai usually doesn't sleep on the bed with me. She prefers the floor under the window. Her sister Onsa however is a different story. I sleep on my side and she must sleep on my face. I move her, she comes right back. After about 15 minutes, I give up. This is every night. She sometimes will move after about an hour into my arms. But, if I roll over, she jumps over me and settles down on my face again. And for some reason when she purrs really loud, her nose runs. Which she wipes all over my cheek. Then her sandpaper tongue licks my eyelid. Every night this goes on.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kashmir, I admire your patience! Cucumella used to walk on the pillows and my face and head hurting me with her claws, not intentionally but out of clumsiness. After scratches on my cheek, nose and ear I was afraid she might get a claw in one of my eyes. I started then to place her where I wanted her to lie and when she started her shenanigan I would put her out of the bedroom for the night. After a while I didn't let her come into bedroom for a few nights. I would find her lying behind the door in the morning. The very first night I let her in after this she remained all night by my side as I had been asking her to. I haven't had any problem ever since.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I sleep with both Gato and Tita and my two dogs (they're small dogs). Gato sleeps stretched as far as he can go and ends up hogging about half of a king size bed. Tita sleeps on top of my legs. One of my dogs in the crook of my arm and the other dog right against my ribs. I do not move for fear of disturbing anyone, but I love sleeping with them!

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
nahui nahui : If i can say one thing about sleeping with pets is...you have a lot of fur on your blankets and you dont get a lot of rest :D
You are correct about not getting a lot of rest, but the fur does not cling just to the blankets, what about the clothes, the curtains, and the furniture? Now I just buy lint rollers by the case!

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Missy sleeps with me every night ; I sleep on my side; most of the time she nestles and curls up in the space between my legs and my belly. I'm a restless sleeper; when I move too much Missy ends up at the foot of the bed. She is always quiet and calm during the night and waits for me to get up before she starts talking.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While this isn't the best photo of me (I really should yell my husband for taking this!), this shows how the cats sleep at night. The cats shift positions, but it is basically the same every night. Sometimes there are 2 on my side instead of one, sometimes 2 on the pillow. There were actually 2 at the foot he didn't get in the photo. The silver facing the camera at my back usually cuddles in my arms, but she was ticked off that I didn't turn over to face her!
20728011_10210263288035358_967651399114380047_n.jpg

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arnold will always sleep with me, not my wife, if im in bed and not working shifts. If im not there he will sleep with my wife.

He sleeps up by my head. He leans against my pillow and often lets me put my head partly on my pillow and partly on him. He will get up, spin around, fall heavily back onto my pillow and against my body. We sleep very closely together, often breathjng each others air.....normally I would think this wierd, but it doesn't seem so. We just both fall asleep together.

BUT if greg comes into the bedroom, arnold will jump up, run to the foot of the bed and stare at greg. Greg will wimper and leave the room. Arnold will stand on guard for awhile and then often come back to my pillow.

I have tried to teach greg its ok and that he is welcomed onto our bed. Its funny, greg will sleep on the bed if arnold and my wife are there, but not if I am there as well.

My wife thinks arnold has claimed me as his and that he wont share me with greg. I go out of my way to make greg feel wanted and loved......but he wont come on the bed for more than a mimute or two if arnold is in the bedroom. There is no violence between the cats....but there is a pecking order.
20160121_145142.jpg
20160121_144805.jpg