Does This Look Like Feline Herpes And Is The Risk To My Cats Too High?

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jackson is absolutely gorgeous! I'm pretty sure Buddy is 100% alleycat and that's fine by me.;):p I am curious how long his hair will be when he grows up, but I'm in no rush. I wanna enjoy his kittenhood. It goes by so fast.
Thank you he is still a kitten at 9 months. He is a rescue. He came all the way from Kuwait. His mom was a soldiers kitty and I agree I love him being a kitten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buddy has a fascinating story! Maybe he would benefit from more probiotics.
I was supposed to ask about probiotics at his first vet visit, but I forgot.:doh: I was trying out a new vet (who I turned out to not like at all) and it slipped my mind. I will ask when I drop off his stool sample though. I am a little concerned that his belly seems a little big and he's only pooping once a day. It seems he should be pooping more than that.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This story did my heart good (and gave me a few laughs along the way) after a really rotten week of worrying about our 15 year old little one who was quite sick.....so the smiles did SO much good!

Even though the original adorable sweetie (Ben?) isn't in the picture anymore - - I wanted to put your mind at ease (as I see a few people already did -- but I'll weigh in too :) ). Because if I didn't have some of the experience I do (I've worked for/volunteered for multiple shelters) - - - I'd have also felt something was fishy. But I can tell you that many shelters (Humane Societies in particular) often take animals from high kill shelters. Particularly when they're low on kittens but are getting tons of requests for them. Rather than turn people away - they'll contact other shelters (particularly high-kill-rate shelters) and send people to pick up multiple litters, etc. It helps everyone - - the high kill shelters obviously get to let their animals have a better (longer) shot at being adopted, and the shelters that bring them in don't have to turn people away SO it's a win-win-WIN for all! So it is very common practice - and not anything to worry about as far as anything nefarious. :)

It is a tad odd that they wouldn't tell yo! They probably had their reasons - - it's just too bad they couldn't share that info with you?!?! So hopefully it was something super simple to cure for Ben -- just an eye infection the litter kept passing around, etc -- and that he's already in a loving home.

And last thing - as far as your new guy - - (did you land on "Ziggy"?) -- -think about how much AMAZING good you did by adopting that beauty!!!!!!! Black cats are SO hard to adopt out (they sit MUCH longer at most shelters) - - -so you and your partner falling for this black beauty is also VERY much a big kudos to you two!!! You truly, truly saved a life that many would have overlooked -- - (actually I think he chose you - - or actually your partner!!! The fact that you both listened to - -and were touched by - - his desire for you both just warmed my heart. And he is GORGEOUS!!!!!!! (it is possible that his longer hair is a bit of the "baby hair" that medium hairs often have, but he'll STILL be gorgeous!).

Lastly (I know - as always - too much!!!!) - as far as the gas/tummy issues: I don't have the energy to read over it all again - but have you taken him to the vet for his first exam? I'd definitely mention it. I know you said food wise he's currently on the food he was eating at the shelter -- which is good. Anything you switch him to do gradually. And I'd actually get another trip in to the vet to talk about this issue - - really stanky gas and stool can be signs of several issues, so I'd grab a stool sample and get him in. :( And hey - - -it could just be his one "flaw" - - - consider it not different from most spouses. :flail:

Keep us posted how he's doing!!!!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kittychick kittychick
Thanks so much for your reassurance about the procedures at shelters. I still think about little Ben. I only spent a few minutes wth him but he stole my heart. Hopefully he gets well and finds a loving home soon.

As for our new baby, Buddy, I've already paid for the fecal test with the new (bad) vet. So I will drop off the stool sample with them and once the results come back I will take them to our old (good) vet.

I have never understood why people don't like black cats. Then again, I don't understand why some people don't like CATS!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just want to chime in.....one of my friends who does fostering for her local rescue just got another litter of mom & babies who were pulled from the kill shelter. Kitten season has been very hectic this year; her area was impacted by the hurricane last fall so maybe Mother Nature is making up for losses. She gets both kittens from the kill shelter and sickly litters that need an experienced foster person. Euthanizing does cost money so if there are possibilities of fostering/outsourcing, then many shelters opt for that.
And who knows? Maybe Ben will find his way back into your life. After all, 2 kittens aren't much more than 1.
I will be interested to know if that stool sample reveals anything - in our society, poop tends to be an 'unmentionable' subject which is too bad because, as one of my doctors joked (about my IBD), "the proof is in the pudding" - lots of good clues in a stool sample. :lol:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add my humble voice to the chorus re: shelters. :)

I'm embarrassed that I lost contact over the years with such a wonderful person, but I used to know a woman who would get referrals from a rescue organization to foster animals who needed a little extra TLC. It was pretty common for her to spend an entire weekend driving back and forth out of state to go pick up whoever needed help.

Please keep us posted re: Buddy's progress, and post lots of pics for us to squee over! :biggrin:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Buddy is still in isolation in our bedroom. Sam, our two year old, sort of considers our bedroom his and can't figure out why he isn't being allowed in there. He hangs out around the closed door a lot.
Anyway, as I was going in Sam darted through the door and came face to face with Buddy. Sam froze in midstep then promptly sat down as Buddy trotted toward him. I picked Sam up and carried him to the living room. I loved on him and talked to him but he still seems...confused?...stunned?
I even tried to play with him but honestly he just seems deep in thought. I snapped a pic of him. He looks a bit lost in thought, doesn't he?
20180603_154808.jpg

I sort of figured he knew there was a kitten in there. I mean he can smell him and hear him, but he just seems so surprised. Still, I suppose it's a good sign that he didn't hiss or crouch or anything.
Buddy was completely unfazed and is currently batting a ping pong ball all over the room.
I will have to be more careful entering and exiting until the vet gives the all clear!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm late to the party, but wanted to congratulate you on your new baby. I know that it wasn't the kitty you were hoping for, but it sounds like the kitty you need, especially if he has brought a smile back to your partner's face. That's what's really important. Also, if Ben was released to a rescue group, then that's awesome news! He and his littermates will be given a second chance at health and a furrever home. It will all work out.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Boy - Sam's GORGEOUS!

Glad weebeasties weebeasties I could put your mind at ease a tad! And there are absolutely more kittens this year during "kitten season" and beyond - - - the general thought at most shelters is that it's because, in many parts of the country (and other countries) there have been longer stretches of more warm weather than in years past. And since a cat's breeding cycle is influenced by warm weather - - - it just makes sense that more warm days means more days to breed and make kittens. I always find it amazing to think of a shelter "running low" on kittens - - but I can say that even the shelter I volunteer for, which has ALWAYS had plenty of kittens, had days last year that we had calls for kittens but we'd already adopted them all out! A good problem to have. :) I bet Ben will quickly find his way to a loving home. And as I noted before - - - you actually did even more good in a sense by adopting a black kitten! I've never understood the fact that people generally shy away from black cats/kittens/puppies/dogs. But I've seen it first hand - - -every shelter I've been associated with, almost any black animal takes far longer to find a home. The general thought is it's bc of two things: black animals are harder to photograph (their features are harder to see), so they don't stand out on online adoption sites.....and then, sadly, the second reason is there really still are a fairly decent number of people who are superstitious about black cats (and kittens, etc - - but cats especially). I can't even count the number of well-educated people I've talked with as they walked a shelter, looking to adopt, who bring up that "they could never adopt a black animal because they're 'bad luck.'" Stuns me. But then - - I also still hear (although less often) that they're worried about adopting a cat because they're going to have a baby and they've heard the cat will get in the crib and steal the baby's breath. I would have thought people would have stopped believing that....well...centuries ago. But nope - - - that old wive's tail still exists!

SOOOOO happy to hear Buddy's settling in so quickly! And to help Sam adjust to Buddy (I have to say - -- I'm also VERY thrilled you're keeping them apart for awhile - - you'll never regret a slow intro!!!!!) - - - have you tried any scent swapping yet? Find something soft that Buddy's sleeping on (blanket, pillow, etc) and something Sam enjoy's hanging out on (same type thing) - - and swap the fabric from one room to the other. It really does help!!!!

Such a gorgeous family - - again - - - hope you'll keep us posted!!!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kittychick kittychick
I was just rereading your earlier post and realized you mentioned you had a sick kitty. Apologies for not asking about the health of your little one. Very rude of me. I hope your baby's health is improving .:crossfingers::vibes:
I will do scent swapping and a slow introduction once I have the all clear from the vet on Buddy's health.
As for photographing a black kitten, I can say yes, it's very hard. Especially in my dimly lit bedroom. He's normally a running blur of activity anyway and the flash on my phone just seems to take away his cuteness. Here's one that's pretty funny though.
20180603_174652.jpg

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The in-house fecal test only takes a bit of time, but is not as comprehensive as sending the poop out to the lab, so 3-5 days means they are doing more in-depth testing for parasites.
Oh, thanks for the info. That makes me feel so much better! I want them to be as thorough as possible with him so I will just have to be patient.:)

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
kittychick kittychick
I was just rereading your earlier post and realized you mentioned you had a sick kitty. Apologies for not asking about the health of your little one. Very rude of me. I hope your baby's health is improving .:crossfingers::vibes:
I will do scent swapping and a slow introduction once I have the all clear from the vet on Buddy's health.
As for photographing a black kitten, I can say yes, it's very hard. Especially in my dimly lit bedroom. He's normally a running blur of activity anyway and the flash on my phone just seems to take away his cuteness. Here's one that's pretty funny though.
View attachment 235029
:lol2::lol: