Does This Look Like Feline Herpes And Is The Risk To My Cats Too High?

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
download.jpg

I wasn't looking for another cat...but then I met this guy. I am totally smitten but that eye looks like feline herpes and some of his siblings have bad eyes too.
I don't want to risk the health of my cats so I told myself to forget about this little guy. I'm having a hard time forgetting though. He is a real sweetheart.
The risk IS way too much for my guys at home, isn't it?

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s hard to tell with feline herpes if it is it or not. They could just have eye infections. I know when I had a multiple cat household (4 cats) they all had it and they all caught it from my third cat. It’s pretty common in multiple cat situations or in feral cat situations and for the most part it isn’t anything to be horribly concerned about. The only times my cats would flare up were under times of stress and 9/10 it would clear up by itself with no interference needed. There was once that my mainecoon mix did get quite sick and needed antibiotics after I introduced my 4th cat but he was better within a week. If you want a definitive answer I think going to the vet would be the best becuase they’ll be able to confirm it for sure. But it is very contagious so you’re cats will likely catch it if he does have it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. This little guy is at a kill shelter. (I went with a coworker who was getting a cat). The shelter employee said they just test for FIV and feline leukemia. I would actually have to adopt him from the shelter in order to take him to a vet to see what's going on.
He and his siblings had only been at the shelter a week. I don't know what his situation was before then.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are your current cats not vaccinated? If not, you can keep the new guy isolated until he is treated. There are many reasons for conjunctivitis (it is a symptom, not a diagnosis) - viruses, bacterial infections, allergies (food, hayfever), irritation (shelters often use bleach & other harsh chemicals). A soothing antibiotic ointment would be great.
And having herpes or FIV+ should not be a death sentence - I have a mixed feral colony and of 21 cats, only 2 get occassionally symptomatic from FIV/herpes. They range from 3 years to 11 years now; they were all vaccinated, sick or not; many of them were obviously sick the first year of their lives but 1 year seems to be the magic number. Once they hit that mark, they do very well, even without L-lysine & slippery elm support.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are your current cats not vaccinated? If not, you can keep the new guy isolated until he is treated. There are many reasons for conjunctivitis (it is a symptom, not a diagnosis) - viruses, bacterial infections, allergies (food, hayfever), irritation (shelters often use bleach & other harsh chemicals). A soothing antibiotic ointment would be great.
And having herpes or FIV+ should not be a death sentence - I have a mixed feral colony and of 21 cats, only 2 get occassionally symptomatic from FIV/herpes. They range from 3 years to 11 years now; they were all vaccinated, sick or not; many of them were obviously sick the first year of their lives but 1 year seems to be the magic number. Once they hit that mark, they do very well, even without L-lysine & slippery elm support.
The only one who is up to date on all vaccinations is my two year old. The others are 9+ years old and my vet didn't think the vacs were absolutely necessary after the five year mark (except rabies) since they are indoor only so I have let them lapse.
Rocky is a former feral who is FIV+, so I know it isn't a death sentence. I have no experience with feline herpes virus though. I looked around a bit on this site and found a few incidences where it was a chronically sick kitty so I'm a little spooked.
I know when we brought Sam home from the shelter he had a terrible URI that lasted about six weeks with multiple vet visits. He was kept isolated from the others the whole time and luckily no one else caught it, but it was a rough few weeks.
From what I read, a cat with herpes can pass it on to other cats even when they are not showing signs of being ill. Is that correct?

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
download (1).jpg

This is a pic of one of his siblings. There were 6 in total and all but 1 had watery, pink eyes. I'm not very knowledgeable about shelters. Don't they normally treat sick kitties before offering them for adoption?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
The shelter employee said they just test for FIV and feline leukemia. I would actually have to adopt him from the shelter in order to take him to a vet to see what's going on.
I don't know much about shelter's procedures either. If they don't test for it then they wouldn't be treating for it, of course, but if it's a kitty cold hopefully they'd treat for that? Can you ask them?

As cheesycats cheesycats mentioned, feline herpes is contagious, through a cat’s contact with an infected cat’s eye, nose, or mouth discharge. A cat can become infected by sharing the same litter box or water bowl with a herpes carrier as well.

And as catsknowme catsknowme commented, L-lysine seems to help many cats as does slippery elm, if in fact the cat(s) need it. Other antiviral medications are available for cats with severe infections. (Antibiotics do not treat herpes but can help with other infections that can happen at the same time).

In my opinion, yes there is a risk but reading expert opinions here, the risk isn't such that it should stop you from saving this darling little feline life :heartshape:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my clinical experience re: eyes is mostly just limited to humans, so I'm afraid I'm not much help. :(

Does this adorable little kitty have any other herpes symptoms? If not, maybe it's just an eye infection that could be treated with antibiotics and/or other meds. Can you tell if the discharge is watery, or more of a yellowish-green mucous?

Our FIV+ cat with herpes usually gets some other symptoms before and during flare-ups, e.g., sneezing, nasal congestion, sores around his mouth, a facial rash, fever, lethargy, etc. Fortunately, we've gotten to where we can tell when he's about to have a flare-up, and double up on his L-lysine and lactoferrin for a bit.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my clinical experience re: eyes is mostly just limited to humans, so I'm afraid I'm not much help. :(

Does this adorable little kitty have any other herpes symptoms? If not, maybe it's just an eye infection that could be treated with antibiotics and/or other meds. Can you tell if the discharge is watery, or more of a yellowish-green mucous?

Our FIV+ cat with herpes usually gets some other symptoms before and during flare-ups, e.g., sneezing, nasal congestion, sores around his mouth, a facial rash, fever, lethargy, etc. Fortunately, we've gotten to where we can tell when he's about to have a flare-up, and double up on his L-lysine and lactoferrin for a bit.
The eye discharge seemed clear and watery. I noticed no runny noses or sneezing. They all seemed a bit lethargic though. They could also have just been sleepy.
The little guy who stole my heart kept pressing himself against the cage like he was trying to get closer to me and as I walked back and forth he would walk from one side of the cage to the other to follow me. I never heard him meow but when the shelter girl handed him to me he just fell against my chest and looked up at me for a bit and then snuggled down to go to sleep. I stood there for probably 10 minutes with him sleeping in my arms. It's funny that in such a noisy, busy place, during the time I held him, I felt so peaceful. It was VERY hard to hand him back.
Speaking of L-lycine, I have read that studies show it doesn't work. Then I read so many people saying it helps tremendously. It can't all be coincides, can it? It must help in some way if people keep seeing good results.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The eye discharge seemed clear and watery. I noticed no runny noses or sneezing. They all seemed a bit lethargic though. They could also have just been sleepy.
The little guy who stole my heart kept pressing himself against the cage like he was trying to get closer to me and as I walked back and forth he would walk from one side of the cage to the other to follow me. I never heard him meow but when the shelter girl handed him to me he just fell against my chest and looked up at me for a bit and then snuggled down to go to sleep. I stood there for probably 10 minutes with him sleeping in my arms. It's funny that in such a noisy, busy place, during the time I held him, I felt so peaceful. It was VERY hard to hand him back.
Speaking of L-lycine, I have read that studies show it doesn't work. Then I read so many people saying it helps tremendously. It can't all be coincides, can it? It must help in some way if people keep seeing good results.
Well, as I said, my knowledge of eye problems in cats is pretty much just limited to our purr-sonal experiences. So please take that with a large grain of salt, preferably with a margarita or two. :wink:

But a clear, watery eye discharge in humans is usually due to allergies or some kind of viral infection. It can also be caused by things like blocked tear ducts, irritation from a foreign body, etc. However, I'm more inclined to suspect some kind of infection since most of the other kitties have similar symptoms.

I've also read some articles that say L-lysine doesn't do a darned bit of good for cats with herpes or other conditions for which it's recommended, such as FIV. That just hasn't been our experience. Every time we've tried to discontinue the L-lysine, Buddy develops a flare-up within a couple of days. We also started him on lactoferrin after reading this old thread Stubborn herpes infection? Add lactoferrin in addition to Lysine and discussing it with our vet.

I can certainly understand your concern about the possibility of infecting your other cats if this is really is herpes. But it would be such a shame to pass up the opportunity to adopt this little cutie if it's just some garden variety eye infection that could respond well to medication. Hopefully someone far wiser than I will chime in soon. *crosses fingers...and toes*

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding the L-lysine : the University of Maryland has done studies and it seems very beneficial. My doctor has me use it instead of Valtrex but in times of flare-up, I take 5g the first day & 3g for the next two days. My shingles tend to form close to the eye. Herpes viruses like high levels of arginine in order to replicate & lysine levels counteract that replication, thus enabling your body to suppress the herpes. One of my other doctors said that coconut oil is also getting attention for herpes. I tried using it and also tea tree oil (tea tree oil is BAD for CATS) on my cold sores and they were gone in 3 days!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MOST kittens develop Feline Herpes symptoms sooner or later and in a shelter it would be almost impossible to escape from. My cats catch it once or twice a year, get the runny eyes, sneezing, and get somewhat lethargic. It can take up to two weeks to clear up. I start L-lysine at first symptoms, and it does seem to help in three of my cats, but not much in one, but he may have a more compromised immunity system because he does seem to get sicker than the others. If the clear discharge changes to yellow/green, then it has turned bacterial and you start an antibiotic.
I'm sure your cats have been exposed to the virus and carry the antibodies for feline herpes, it is like the common cold in humans and is almost impossible to avoid. I wouldn't let this this make me not adopt a kitten, it is a very common condition in kittens and is not life threatening.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I am going to give my vet a call and run it by him to get his opinion on this. If he says nothing to dissuade me, then my mind is made up.
I wanted to be sure before I talked to my partner about adopting this little boy. She may not be ready for this. We are still grieving the loss of her soulmate kitty, Isabelle, who passed in February. It is very soon, but I really felt a connection with this little boy.
I want to say a big thank you to you all for helping convice me to take this step.
:thanks:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vets seem to have a grudge against shelters---"oh, ugh, shelter cats are always sick"---so don't let the vet's word be the only consideration.

I've taken in many many kittens with eye infections and the adult cats never get it. I do keep new cats in the spare bathroom before they've been tested and vaccinated, so if it's spread by bodily fluids that's probably why. So if you can keep him separated it should be OK. It looks like he just needs a little Terramycin and he'd be good as new :D.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vets seem to have a grudge against shelters---"oh, ugh, shelter cats are always sick"---so don't let the vet's word be the only consideration.

I've taken in many many kittens with eye infections and the adult cats never get it. I do keep new cats in the spare bathroom before they've been tested and vaccinated, so if it's spread by bodily fluids that's probably why. So if you can keep him separated it should be OK. It looks like he just needs a little Terramycin and he'd be good as new :D.
The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking my cats could have already been exposed. Sam came from a shelter and got sick as soon as we got home with an URI. The other cats were either ferals or of the "they just showed up at my door" variety. So who knows what they came in contact with before they found a home.
It's funny you should say what most vets think about shelter cats. That's almost an exact quote from our vet when we first brought Sam in to see him! :lol: That phone call will have to wait, he's closed for the holiday.
We do have a bathroom and bedroom to keep him separated from the others.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 4 cats. My oldest cat has herpes. All of the other cats in my home have entered with her and have gone through multiple herpes flare ups and have NEVER had any symptoms. Stress is a major cause of a herpes flare up so being the shelter isn't helping this baby's situation any. Also, none of my kitties are current on their vaccinations and weren't current when I added new kitties to my home. They have all had vaccinations in the past, but I do not get yearly boosters for them.

My advice is to adopt the kitty, take him to the vet, and get the medical attention s/he needs. (I'm an enabler, too. LOL)

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I jumped the gun. I got a little too excited about the prospect of a new family member and went ahead talked to my partner.
She was very hurt. The loss of Isabelle was so recent. She was so upset that I can even consider this.
After talking about him for a while though, she agreed we could adopt him. Mainly because I have already sort of fallen in love with him.
So now I am wondering if I'm being selfish here. I don't want my partner to suffer. Getting a baby should be a happy time. My partner has not only lost Isabelle, but had surgery to remove cancer this year. It's been hard. I thought we could help this new kitten and he could help us through our grief, but I hate the thought that I'm pushing her too soon.
I also hate the thought of him sitting in that shelter.
Sigh...We will go tomorrow so she can meet him. Fingers crossed that he melts her heart like he did mine. If not, I don't think it would be fair to either of them to bring him home. Not that she wouldn't love him (of course she would), but everyone has to process grief and pain in thier own time. I do not want to rush her.

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the truth is that most cats have herpes, and only some have flare ups depending on their age/immune system etc. I know you've already made up your mind! My friend adopted two symptomatic herpes positive kittens and her older cat never experienced any symptoms. Chances are your other cats already have a dormant form of it anyway.