Does new food really cause digestive issues?

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are cat food storage and I noticed that when I have to give her what I can find. She didn't felt well until she felt well. This cat food shortage is stressful. Chewy doesn't have it. Vet doesn't open until tomorrow. I can't gradually change if it's not available 😭

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, sudden food changes can cause digestive discomfort. If you've ever done any sort of dieting you've probably experiences similar. I did the Whole30 at one point and one of the big warnings is you will get digestive issues as your system adjusts. And it is a true statement. Our bodies, cats and humans, get used to a specific diet and major shifts can cause problems anywhere within the system. It's worse for cats because they essentially eat one food all the time so changing off that one time just throws them off balance. I usually keep my cats on a regular mix of dry food and rotate wet flavors so that if one is harder to find, they don't really notice. But that's not normal because cats can be picky or people get into routines.

If you can't gradually change, you can't gradually change. Nothing can be done about it. It does suck but it is usually temporary. As long as your cat is still eating and not having extreme symptoms they will get through it. If they can't keep anything down or are having uncomfortable potty problems your vet can help minimize symptoms or supportive care.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sudden changes in food - if it is canned - is less likely to cause issues when compared to dry food. The best you can do is to get other brands/types of canned food that are similar in ingredients, as that should help reduce/avoid potential digestive troubles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know what is similar to fancy feast though

Sudden changes in food - if it is canned - is less likely to cause issues when compared to dry food. The best you can do is to get other brands/types of canned food that are similar in ingredients, as that should help reduce/avoid potential digestive troubles.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I do food transitions where the old food either isn't available or the cat is no longer interested in it, I do what I call a naked transition. You do a gradual transition like the old food is still on the plate. So if day 1 would normally be 1/4 new and 3/4 old, I simply put a quarter portion of the new food on a plate by itself. Yes, you will be underfeeding your cat for a few days until she gets up to speed on the new food. I would at least underfeed like this for one poop cycle. If she keeps her food down and the poop looks good, you can either proceed with the slow "naked" transition, and/or you can sneak her extra portions allowing at least three hours for her to work through any gas and discomfort from a new food. By day four, she should be fully on the new food at full portions--assuming no butt or gut incidents that say, "not this food!"

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what is similar to fancy feast though
Fancy Feast has a wide variety of flavors and textures. If it's the pate, Sheba Perfect Portions comes pretty close. It's a similar recipe but they use tapioca starch to thicken it up. If it's more of a shredded texture, I would look at Tiki Cat, especially the After Dark line if you want to avoid fish. If it's a gravy food, I have no idea. I don't feed those.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat hates sheba probably cause of tapioca. Yes I like to avoid fish. I'll check that out

Fancy Feast has a wide variety of flavors and textures. If it's the pate, Sheba Perfect Portions comes pretty close. It's a similar recipe but they use tapioca starch to thicken it up. If it's more of a shredded texture, I would look at Tiki Cat, especially the After Dark line if you want to avoid fish. If it's a gravy food, I have no idea. I don't feed those.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found out she felt that way. It was a bad batch. I had a case of 12 chicken cat food from Walmart. It started to smell like a dead rotten animal 😭😭
Bought single cans and she devoured it without problems

You betcha. Have been in the same situation before.
Now I buy the new food with at least a month in advance.

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Murphy's law of cat food: whenever you stock on their favourite food is the day they stop liking it.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Omg I know the feeling , my cat loved chicken liver fancy feast so bought 2 cases and she suddenly goes meh I want something else.

Murphy's law of cat food: whenever you stock on their favourite food is the day they stop liking it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An additional corrolary: once you find a food your cat loves and does not have issues with, the manufacturer will have a shortage or the food will be discontinued. 😾🤦‍♂️

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Omg I know the feeling , my cat loved chicken liver fancy feast so bought 2 cases and she suddenly goes meh I want something else.
Interesting...I say that because FF chicken liver (pate) was one of Feeby's favorites, then it was hard to find, and when I found it again, she no longer cares for it. Almost makes you think some changes were made to it somehow.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah it made me wonder why my cat liked chicken more than chicken liver. 🤔🤔 cats are strange

Interesting...I say that because FF chicken liver (pate) was one of Feeby's favorites, then it was hard to find, and when I found it again, she no longer cares for it. Almost makes you think some changes were made to it somehow.