Does anyone else's cat lick plastic bags?

faustmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her Majesty likes to get in them and take naps she puts her head through the handle and will walk around with it on. At first I took them off of her because I thought she did it by accident and then she kept doing it. I do keep an eye on her so she doesn't suffocate herself, but she will walk around with it on and lay down in it, then when she is done she will get out of it on her own. Really weird, but good to know other kittys like them too.

oogieone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Onyx will try to eat plastic...when he is eating...right now I am force feeding him back from hepatic lipodosis so he doesn't even try to eat bags now.

My other two love to nap on them and play with them...with supervision of course...

sangria14

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat loves to lick all plastic and vinyl - plastic bags, the shower curtain liner, everything. Also loves to chew on rubber bands. I absolutely am hypervigilant to keep all plastic (and rubber bands) away from him. He would probably chew the plastic bag if he had a chance.

cqbud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just read that most plastic bags are made with cornstarch and some cats really love corn. i have a cat that licks the plastic bags and the metal window screen so I was thinking she was really weird or had some kind of mineral deficiency but now I think it's just the corn. i have pampas grass growing directly outside the window where she licks the screen; i think she is licking the chaffe that comes off the grass, akin to corn.

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat smokie who LOVES anything plastic. If I open the bathroom closet and he finds the cotton balls bag he'll lick and just keep licking. I have to pull him away. But than again he's just a licker in general. He licks me and my fiance. He'll lick our feet, arms, hair lol

I have one cat JR, who wants to constantly lick my CD-Rs I have a pile on my desk that I'm going through because I don't remember what's on them. He wants to lick those all the time. He also loves licking me too he'll sit there and try to lick my hands while I'm trying to type lol

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with the weird bag licker cats LOL

lil annie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my sisters two cats lick bags and Marigold licks the bags and sometimes she plays with them too.

vivvie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
YES, our Annie and Vivian both lick the plastic grocery bags and I wondered what that was all about, lol Now I know! I too thought it was just a quirky thing they both did.

Vivvie

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats loves licking plastic!
There's so many of them perhaps they should form a support group - 'Plastic Lickers Anonymous'

brknlmb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat licks the shower curtain, the plastic around the toilet paper, plastic trash bags and the grocery bags. your reason sounds right to me. He was not weened properly. thanks for clearing that up. lucky for me he does not play with or eat the plastic. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, but Max has a fetish for bubble wrap - he dribbles on it and likes to pop it.  I suspect it's the mouth feel he goes for.  Personally I discovered that wringing it was very satisfying!

farrinna64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girl kitty (3 yrs old, we have her brother from same litter and mama kitty) licks Walmart bags too, totally annoying sound. Her and her bro also like to chew cardboard, it almost looks like we have a rodent problem if if weren't for the fact that I've seen and heard them chewing on them :-)

rustyandfurry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, that sounds familiar! My cat, Furry, will lick bags, too. He'll be in my room and start licking my trash bag!
 My other cat, Mikey, who died a few years ago...used to lick bags and my little sister's diaper bags!

labluesky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my friends cat licks the metal legs of their nook table, another friends cat licks tape and plastic bags!

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bellabear loves to eat plastic grocery bags and cellophane tape. Well, she mostly just licks it. That is because I generally take it away from her before she can eat it. She will break into the cabinet to get plastic bags out to chew on. My other cat Molly Joan could care less about plastic except crinkly things and that is just because of the noise...

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bella does lick the trash bags when I change it. Then she chews it. Crazy cat.  

dejolane

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a very old thread so I will post again something that is probably said way back when. Much plastic has fish oil in it, plus other ingredients that your cat can smell but we can't. Sonme cats love to lick bags, others love to pee on them - I cannot leave a bag on the floor without this happening.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't bother plastic bags she likes scratching stuff and playing with a lot of dangly stuff she is bored I know it but we will get her some toys within the next few days