Does anyone else's cat lick plastic bags?

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep--mine especially like Gap bags, Target bags...and WIRES!! I've gone through more phone chargers...

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to keep reminding my husband not to leave the closet open where all the plastic bags were. Well, that didn't work, so I had to get rid of all the bags.

planetofthecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Super Kitty here likes plastic shopping bags, shrink wrap, bubble pack plastic, and even the clear plastic windows on my cell phone case. I used to keep my cellphone on top of my nightstand - now I have to put it in a drawer so she doesn't make off with it at night.

mauidvr1313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I searched near and far for the answer to why my krickett loves plastic bags and the answer that was most convincing was from TAMU school of Vet Med.
The primary reason for the licking is the celluloid material that the bags are made of also poloroids and many other items, come from a cat not being wheened properly as a kitten. They still have the urge for the certain type of malactic acid that is present im momma's milk. Its ingrained in them like suckling their mamma's Teet.:woohoo

carriedee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol, this is an awesome post. Minus Loves to lick bags. I thought she was weird too! Lillith occationally licks bags, and once I found her licking my oak blanket chest like it was her job. I couldn't figure that one out.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

I
My Monique is a plastic bag licker.
I just about fell off my chair when I read this
Please don't take offence, I just found your wording very funny.

tibsandnorman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find this post really funny! Seriously, I thought my cats were freaks until I read these posts. Mr. Tibbs LOVES CD wrappers... and LOVES to chew on the plastic water bottle wrap that a 24 pack comes in. And Norman doesn't like to eat it, but he likes to climb into the empty water bottle wrap... you know, it has a cardboard bottom, and resembles a little hut? the perfect hiding place with two open ends for a cat. He will sleep in it like it's his bed. All funny to me... his tail flops out on one side, swaying contently.

Cats are odd. Hahaha, but the make me laugh so much!

catmommy2one

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yes my cat Rusty licks plastic bags
all of the time! He especially luvs Wal Mart
bags. I just thought he was weird lol:0)
Now I know It is a cat thing.

Nicole

minnie&cyclopes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG, Thank you!! I thought I was alone with the weird bag licker..Minnie licks the dry cleaning plastic..I have to make sure my closet door is closed at all times b/c he licks them

I love this thread!!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two like to roll around in the plastic bags.

The thing they really get excited about is the celophane tape that sometimes comes on packages, if we get a package I have to make sure all the tape is quickly disposed of or there's a kitty munching party

Needless to say, I prefer the paper tape.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes my cats lick bags too. Especially the really glossy ones. I had heard a while back (I think on this site) that many plastic bags contain fish oil. Not sure where that came from but that's what I heard!

xulili

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Woden one of my three is the only plastic licker in the house. Nothing like wakeing up to the sound of something getting the once over at 3 am.

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mauidvr1313

I searched near and far for the answer to why my krickett loves plastic bags and the answer that was most convincing was from TAMU school of Vet Med.
The primary reason for the licking is the celluloid material that the bags are made of also poloroids and many other items, come from a cat not being wheened properly as a kitten. They still have the urge for the certain type of malactic acid that is present im momma's milk. Its ingrained in them like suckling their mamma's Teet.:woohoo
I don't know about that claim, LOL.(the one I bolded) Four of my cats were born and raised in this house with their mother cat, who is still with them here. They were weaned very gradually and naturally, by her. Even at a year and a half, they all love licking plastic bags.

The correlation of the products being similar to mama's milk is interesting though. But I don't think improper weaning has much to do with it, at least from my observations and experiences.

butterflyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My oldest cat who now lives with my Mom LOVES to lick the bags from grocery stores, she will do it non stop unless you take them out of her reach. And my youngest kitten Lovebug loves to lay on them and lick them. He freaks out if I don't put a bag on the floor when I come home from the store so he can lay on it.

catsnpottery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think most cats are have their obsessions ... we have four cats ...

Alex (a neutered male) licks telephone cords
Tobbie (another neutered male) licks plastic bags
Tessie (a spayed female) is nuts over the adhesive on certain types of tape
and Carina (another spayed female) is bonkers over plastic straws and will pull them right out the drink glasses if she can get to them.

Each of them has a different fixation and they are all totally nuts
about whatever it is that catches their fancy. We love them all and find this all quite amusing except I do get tired of hiding handset cords in drawers and protecting my drink from the marauding straw hunter.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mine are the same way! they LOVE when i come home from Wal-Mart,lol.

also, my male thinks bags are to knead for hours, then pee on!! the dirty lil rat. so i only let him have it for like 5 min, then it goes away,lol