Does anyone else's cat lick plastic bags?

galt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Riley will persistently lick plastic bags - like Wal Mart sacks, or sandwich baggies. I dunno why. Does anyone else's cat do this? Is it just a Riley quirk?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

galt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Really? Oh, I'm glad you told me, Trouts mom, 'cuz I thought it was just Riley being weird.
Do other cats lick the bags, too? Or just play with them?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Galt

Riley will persistently lick plastic bags - like Wal Mart sacks, or sandwich baggies. I dunno why. Does anyone else's cat do this? Is it just a Riley quirk?
My youngest one Abby loves to lick plastic bags. I have no idea why either. Chynna the oldest one doesn't lick them, but she loves to lay on them.

blueyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my younger kitty loves plastic bags. I've caught him sleeping on a bag! You'd think that would be quite an unpleasant surface to lie on, especially since my boys are hairless..lol He likes to chew them as well. I've only noticed this behaviour recently and am now making sure there are no bags around for him, I'm worried that he may crawl into one and suffocate.

cathyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that licks plastic bags. Don't know what that's about. He also loves to chew on the cellophane off of a pack of cigarettes. He has actually eaten the cellophane and later thrown it up.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand that the plastic bags are made with animal fats and fish oils which some cats find irrestible.
My Monique is a plastic bag licker. When we bring groceries home she is in her glory with all that plastic to lick.

I do keep an eye on her to make sure it stays to licking and no biting or eating. If she ever starts that then all the plastic will have to disappear!

shadowsoul

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They LOVE it! Oscar does, he waits for me to come home from work or grocery and plays with the plstic bags, chasing them when moved by the fan, and licking them like a maniac

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Freckles can't resist. Last night I needed to get some bags out of my trunk (I meant to drop them off for recycling but havent yet) after shoping at BJs Wholesale Club. Half of them were ripped and shredded, courtesy of Freckles. Bob could not care less.

reneeteachj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've caught Neo trying to eat plastic wrappings from various products. I've never seen him try to eat or lick a bag, but he sure can tear them up playing with them! He loves the crinkly sound!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

galt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

I understand that the plastic bags are made with animal fats and fish oils which some cats find irrestible.
Oh, I was wondering why, but that would explain Riley's taste for baggies.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tavia does that and I thought it was just a Tavia thing she also licks plastic water bottles even when they aren't sweating and she always has fresh water. I thought it was just one of her quirks. How odd.

corinster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought it was just Max and Wrinkles! They both love to eat the handles (and just the handles) from plastic grocery bags. We have to be so careful not to leave them around otherwise we end up having to help them out at the other end which is far less than pleasant. I also dread to think what it could do to their insides.....

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chessy loves to lick plastic bags...I thought he was a weirdo but I guess he's not the only one

moonvine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Cocopuff does this ALL the time. She also licks the stereo speakers. I wouldn't think they would taste very good myself

lucat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Lukas ate plastic bags as a kitten (certain bags were better than others
) I asked my vet why -plastic bags have a tallow base which we can't smell but apparently a cat can-I had to plastic-proof my house -even now 14 yrs. later he will try to open cupboard where I keep bags-if we have company I have to ask them to keep anything plastic not only out of sight but where Lukas can't get it-If a cat eats it pieces of the plastic may cause an obstruction in their intestional tract.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jazz love to lick & eat plastic bags, I have to make sure I don't leave any hanging around
Her sister Maggie May couldn't care less unless I crumple the bag up and she runs like the wind.

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of mine love plastic bags, they like to play with them because they crinkle and they like to eat them, probably because of the animal fats. They also like to eat paper (especially the glossy stuff in catalogs and magazines), so I have my hands full trying to keep these things out of reach. It doesn't work so well, and I often wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of paper or plastic being torn, then I stumble around looking for the offensive material and a cat with a guilty look on their face