Do your cats come when called?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do your cats come when called? Whether that is by their names or other ways.

Remy and Flora come when I call them by name or by their nicknames. Maisie doesn't come when called because she doesn't want to be around anyone.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goof has a better recall than most dogs do. As he gets older I don't think he hears as well, but he's been known to come at a dead run from clear across the yard when he's called. Lila is very good about it, but I did mess around with marker training with her (she also sits, and sits up.) Sarah? :lol: She has people she pays to do that sort of thing for her.

Mygoodkitty

My_kitten_precious
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats pretty much all come to their name except for Naomi, but that’s also because she’s always outside, other then her though everybody else comes to their name. Have a good day and God bless ❤ :)

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
usually but i cant count the times i have called for her looked all around just to end up spotting her in plain sight looking at me :lol: if i include the word treats graycie you want treats she will come running. i did manage to train her a lil bit to respond to a dog whistle when we first brought her home but was to difficult when she knew what the sound of her treat box made it kinda was useless to use that whistle when she is already in front of me...

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
usually but i cant count the times i have called for her looked all around just to end up spotting her in plain sight looking at me :lol: if i include the word treats graycie you want treats she will come running
Sarah is the one cat I have that can disappear and then materialize out of thin air when she feels like it. If I get panicked and can't find her anywhere, I'll open the treat cabinet (the cabinet hinge squeaks, and they know the sound.) I'll hear them all running into the kitchen, and there she is, so I scatter treats on the ground. I was hoping she would learn that me calling her name would follow up with the cabinet door sound, and then the treats, but so far she's been calling my bluff.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I am calling the kitties I get mixed reactions. Some times it is like a herd of horses running up and other times there is an echo around here with the only thing moving being a dust bunny the size of a tumbleweed. If Banjo has discovered the treat stash and distributed them among the others, who needs a hooman? On the other hand (paw) if the phone rings, a cat will answer! :lol: Hmmmm. Maybe I should try calling them on the phone?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Graham does.

The others, nah. They just look at me, indicating they recognize their names, but go back to whatever they are doing.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Magnus almost always comes. His recall is getting good. He stopped chasing a squirrel to come back to his name the other day the good boy. BUT! He likes to play hide and seek..so sometimes when you call him, he's doing that. He's usually hiding under a chair or blanket and peeking out at you. He's quite pleased when you find him. If you put get stressed during hide and seek, he will come out and brr at you. He can hear it in your voice.

Calcifer is still learning, mostly because he's always underfoot so when can I call him to come? 😹

All the cats will come if you bend a bit and clap your hands softly to them.

Nobel used to, but he's a bit sore these days so I don't bug him to do that much. His movement should be saved for his necessities and things he likes to do I think.