Do your cats come when called?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat peaches always comes when I call. Maggie I had to clicker train. Very useful! Coco I don't even try. She will not budge from her couch if she sees maggie

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat peaches always comes when I call. Maggie I had to clicker train. Very useful! Coco I don't even try. She will not budge from her couch if she sees maggie
I've been pleasantly surprised at how effective clicker training really is.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
~ Only sometimes. When I shake the kibble jar they usually scramble into the house . View attachment 435062
Sounds like Sarah. I'll call Goof and Lila and they come into the room, but if I call Sarah I get no response until I open that treat cabinet with the squeaky hinge and shake that treat bag and she materializes out of thin air.

Fen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Absolutely! Both my cats know their names and come when called. My boy Aten always comes running and trilling with excitement, he's such a happy boy! (His nickname is Disney because he looks and behaves like a classic Disney character) However, my girl Akila argues with me when I call her and she doesn't want to move. She doesn't meow, she chatters at me. We can do that back and forth for ages and it is hysterical, she's such a little madam šŸ¤£

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Louise is the Queen of Ignoring. She comes when she wants. I will call her name and she will turn her head to the side and give me the side eye. She will turn her had back and look at me and then quickly turn to the side again and give me the side eye..it has become a game.

However, I have no need to call her because she follows me all day long at my heels. Even waits outside the bathroom door! I have stepped on her tail several times. But she does know her name and 'honks' back to me when I come back home and say "Hi Babe".and comes when SHE knows something good is in store..like cat tv, a treat or a game.
So, yes..she does respond to her name even though it is a name of only 4 months (shelter adoption).

just an aside: t\This morning I put on my shoes, vest and hat to go out and shovel snow. Well, when she ever saw me ready for the outside she hightailed it and ran from one room to another trying to get away from me...shoes, hat and vest mean.." Get in the Crate,We're going to the Vet". She hates that crate and clinic so much!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackpot whom I consider my personal Cat is very good at coming when I call him. He's very attentive. He has a very outgoing personality and loves being the center of attention. 20221209_091452.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Carleton definitely knows his name and even if he doesn't come when called he will look in my direction. Our last cat was a diva, so independent that she decided to come on her own terms. But when I called her name 9 out of 10 times the dog would come instead. :lol:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Iā€™m not entirely sure I want him toā€¦I like the challenge of his independenceā€¦I usually end up going up to him instead of the other way round.

Unless he sneaks past the front door and then yes please. Since he is on pred itā€™s easy to get him back in.

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do your cats come when called? Whether that is by their names or other ways.

Remy and Flora come when I call them by name or by their nicknames. Maisie doesn't come when called because she doesn't want to be around anyone.
It took about 3 years but now my cat typically does come to me when I call out to her. When she's awake of course. Like most cats, she sleeps much of the day.

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When Belle hears me open the ā€œTinned Miceā€, she always comes when I call. She also comes when I come home and call to her.

I have a good cat.
I just had a moment of delight. "Tinned mice" always makes me think of Foodini

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes,of course they do..... it would be pretty embarrassing if they did not,lol..... that is what I have done for a living for 4 decades,I'm a professional trainer

They all have basic obedience " Come,stay,sit,lie down,go,no and "okay" which means off the clock,do as you will and of course everything is alright

Sami is a Bengal,he'll often complain and show me he'd prefer going out walking ,hospital,car or play fetch but still he does what is asked....Bella will often plop down and show her belly rather than sit or come and I have to laugh

Graycie is undistracted and always aims to please.Max is the baby and certainly did not get the one on one training everyone else did but knows the basics......all this cannot is accomplished through lead training

Now Timmy,the last addition is feral,he will be challenging just to get a harness on him but one step at a time and now,an old retired lady,my priorities are much different and choosing my battles are few and far between
That's the long version,the short answer is YES

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackpot usually comes when hearing my call. Miles only shows up when he hears me open the bag of "Wisker Lickens" cat treats.