Do You Think She Will Want Her Cat Back?

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Artemis from an ad on Facebook. A woman was getting rid of him and I wanted a white cat. I drove 45 mins to go get him. There was a kid in her car who I think was upset. I'm not sure if he was upset about giving away the cat or something else. We stood in the parking lot and talked for a bit. She mentioned that she was moving back in with her mom and she had been sick. She couldn't care for him anymore.
I took him home and she messaged me asking how he did on the ride home and how he was getting along with the other animals. She would ask me how he was doing every other month after that. The last time she asked how he was doing was January and she just recently messaged me again the other day. I sent her pictures and let her know he is well.

Sometimes I worry that she might ask to have him back. It's not quite been a year yet, and I understand that she probably loved this kitty and wants to know how he is. But what if she were to ask to have him back? She hasn't but I just think of what if?

Legally I'm pretty sure he is mine. But if she were to ever want him back I don't know if I could do it. What would you do? Again this hasn't happened, but she obviously still thinks about him. So that just makes me wonder if one day she ever would.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure what I would do in your case, but I know if somehow Ruby's prior owners found her and wanted her back, I'd be devastated.

How old is Artemis? I think once you've had him longer than she did, I'd definitely say he was yours.

How does he get along with Luna? If they are best buds, take lots of pictures of them together, and then if the question of her wanting him back ever came up, you could say that they are so bonded, you don't think it would be good to separate them.

Also keep any medicals records, as that will be proof of you caring for him.

Hopefully the question of her wanting him back never comes up, but I guess it can't hurt to be prepared and ready to prove why he's better off with you. :catlove:

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give him back, personally. I don't feel that would be fair to Artemis. I'm sorry that his former owner was in a position where she couldn't keep him, but Artemis is a living creature, not a piece of luggage. His feelings and sense of security are a very important factor. He is settled in a new home now, and he deserves to stay there, rather than being passed back and forth. I think it's great that you're keeping the former owner updated and she really does seem to care, but I don't think he should move back. What's done is done.

Legally there's no way she has any claim at this point, so I wouldn't even worry about that.