Do They All Think They Own Everything?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Yep - I think we bought the same one! The reviews were so good, so many people saying their cats haven't scratched furniture since getting this! I put it away for awhile, and am going to try it again in a few weeks. If not...it's getting sold or traded! She's actually started scratching the side of the mattress when I don't get out of bed soon enough after waking up...if nothing else, since she hates it so much it might help her lose interest in the bed.
Same here! Mine own everything in the house...except for those scratching posts! I bought two for a total of more than $80. “No, we don’t like them. Remove them from our sight.” I even re-covered one with expensive sisal and the other with carpet. Nope. They’re going to the cats at the sanctuary where I volunteer. At least they’ll be grateful since they haven’t had the chance yet to own anything.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, well, that answered THAT question of mine :blackcat2:
What cat in her right mind wouldn’t want to use this masterpiece? And to think that less than nine months ago she was living in a kitty group home without a scratching post to call her own. Hmph.

9AEA9CCD-FCDB-4458-8D38-0A83B86DEF5F.jpeg

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ailish owns everything in the house except the cat bed I bought her. She will not touch that thing with a ten foot pole. I even washed it twice because I thought maybe it had a smell. New clothes straight out of the bag - no problem, and they stink like chemicals. Bed - no way, no how.
Haha! I had a few cat beds for my cat, but she wouldn't use them so they're gone. Right now she likes laying on top of a yellow envelope that came in the mail bearing her Dr. Elsey's samples. So cat bed? No. Trash? Yes! Cats! Gotta :redheartpump: them! :lol:

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What cat in her right mind wouldn’t want to use this masterpiece? And to think that less than nine months ago she was living in a kitty group home without a scratching post to call her own. Hmph.

View attachment 239146
:flail: Did you put catnip on it if your cat likes catnip? You probably did. Maybe put a favorite toy or a new toy at the top so your cat is interested in it?

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
:flail: Did you put catnip on it if your cat likes catnip? You probably did. Maybe put a favorite toy or a new toy at the top so your cat is interested in it?
Oh, let me count the ways I have tried to get her to use her scratching posts! Another day, another thread. :)

LawnCow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my experience, yes they do believe they own everything in the house, including me.

The phrase "No. Not for cats" is said here quite regularly.

Dogs have owners, cats have staff. :p

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My boy owns everything in the house. Nothing gets passed him without his seal of approval.

But most important, he owns me :agree: :heartshape: View attachment 239161 View attachment 239162

Same here. I have a padded barstool that has been in my kitchen forever. No one uses it so I added it to the things that I was going to donate to the thrift store. Now that it's there, Sophie wants it. Since she wants it, how dare I think about donating it? :lol: :rolleyes2:

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL, cats

What if you draped a worn not-yet-laundered shirt of yours over it?, and put some treats in it...
I actually tried this. I put treats in there, and she craned her neck as far as it could possibly stretch, ate the treats without touching the bed, then resumed ignoring it. I put it where she likes to lounge with with one of her used towels I put down for comfortable windowsill lounging? Nope. It's just a loser. New cat tree? No problem. I really want her to have a "her bed", but no luck. She has a variety of comfort spots, but no one that's "hers."

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Same here. I have a padded barstool that has been in my kitchen forever. No one uses it so I added it to the things that I was going to donate to the thrift store. Now that it's there, Sophie wants it. Since she wants it, how dare I think about donating it? :lol: :rolleyes2:
Yep, I have two IKEA lazy chairs and I gave away one already as they were not used at all and taking up space in the house and the second one is waiting for a friend to pick it up but my boy has been using it to sleep and now I may change my mind and keep it for him :lol:

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, scratching posts. I have the expensive scratching post every cat loves that's pictured above. Won't touch it. Bought a nice big cat tree with four levels, a house, multiple sisal posts, etc.. Three nice tall sisal posts and one tiny carpeted post attach it to the base, between every level are at least three out of four tall sisal posts. What does she scratch on? The one 6 inch tall carpeted post that attaches to the base. The thing has at least 12 posts between all levels and she likes the last one you would think she would want to scratch on. That said, she DOES like the tree.