Do They All Think They Own Everything?

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! Since we have adopted Pixie I have let him have freedom all over our apartment and haven't restricted him from anything which leads me to believe that he thinks he owns everything. Anyhow, I have been crocheting a baby blanket for my niece due in July, and I'm putting the finishing touches on it. The last couple of nights, Pixie has shown great interest in the blanket, and tries to snuggle in it and make biscuits on it while doing so. I have to tell him constantly in my mommy voice "This isn't Pixie's blankie....when I finish this blanket, I will make a blanket for you." Then I gently move him so I can continue to work. When he figures out I'm not letting him have it, he loafs beside me and puts a paw on the blanket, and tries to inch himself onto it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not annoyed at all, I just think it's cute and hilarious. Does anyone else's cat act like this? He owns so many other blankets in the apartment already that it's hard to keep count, plus the oven mitt I am never going to back:p

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girl Mika absolutely loves the most random places to sleep and hang out. She's incredibly fond of sleeping on top of a Guess Who game box while I'm at my parents and will sleep on top of the tv cable box when at my apartment. Her other favorite spots at the apartment are on top of the fridge, the cabinets and in my roommate's closet. We have 3 kitties in the apartment but I think Mika has the most spots all over. :wink:

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry, I guess you didn’t read the fine print in the contract that little paw gently pushed your way, and assured you not to read it since-it was “all just formality!:angelcat:
Don’t worry!:coolcat:
Sign here. :angrycat:
Now.” :devilcat2:
I’m so sorry!
Because yes, I signed it too! :bawling:

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes but can be taught otherwise. I crotchet to sell so can't have it covered in hair. My cats learned young that yarn is not a toy. I make them toys and blankets. They don't get to play with them until completed and the crochet hook is put away. The only time I had a problem was when I was making a neon green scarf. Yoshi's is obsesssed with anything that color and I had to work on it when he was asleep.

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes but can be taught otherwise. I crotchet to sell so can't have it covered in hair. My cats learned young that yarn is not a toy. I make them toys and blankets. They don't get to play with them until completed and the crochet hook is put away. The only time I had a problem was when I was making a neon green scarf. Yoshi's is obsesssed with anything that color and I had to work on it when he was asleep.
That’s so interesting about his reaction to that specific color? Wow! I am so amazed by all the things to learn each day about these crazy wonderful fur balls. :dancingblackcat:
And I think you’re right about just “Moming” them to teach them what they shouldn’t do. Just gentle, firm repetition seems the best bet! :nono::biggrin:

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
My roommate had a cat that hated the color orange. The theory was that she hated the citrus smell in oranges, and associated that color with the smell. She would leave the room if she saw an orange object in your hand.
That is unbelievable! Now I have another thing to add to the list of “What on earth are you mad at now?!” :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How did you teach them? I would like to teach him this :redcat:

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only time I had a problem was when I was making a neon green scarf. Yoshi's is obsesssed with anything that color and I had to work on it when he was asleep.
Ailish shows a definite preference for neon green. The only toys she likes are those little fake mice. I buy them frequently because she stashes them. They frequently come in neon green and I like neon green myself, so more than half her mice are neon green. The only ones she plays with are green, the other ones are dead to her. I figured maybe they can see green better than other colors.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ailish owns everything in the house except the cat bed I bought her. She will not touch that thing with a ten foot pole. I even washed it twice because I thought maybe it had a smell. New clothes straight out of the bag - no problem, and they stink like chemicals. Bed - no way, no how.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, cats

What if you draped a worn not-yet-laundered shirt of yours over it?, and put some treats in it...

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ours owns everything...but they never own what you want them own! I bought Busy one of those super tall, fancy, expensive, sisal scratching posts from Amazon...and she has never once shown anything but absolute disdain for it. On the other hand, she took over the little storage ottoman/cube in the living room where I keep whatever crafting project I'm currently working on. She sleeps on top of it and scratches the crap out of the sides of it. Since we only paid ten or twenty bucks for it, I don't care much. Better that than the couch. Though she's always horribly offended when I take off the lid to get to the crafts.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Though she's always horribly offended when I take off the lid to get to the crafts.
LOL, that is a hoot!
I bought one of those, I think the same onwhere the base is wide, the whole thing isn't supposed to tip over and gives the cat the opportunity to really stretch while scratching?

My Big Guy disliked it, totally. Thought about removing the possibly sort-of-fake sisal and putting on some real hemp rope or something, but then ended up just giving it away...oh well!

otherwise, yes, absolutely, the entire house is his, as a matter of fact he's currently snoozing in a small corner of a closet where he's wedged himself under the hanging clothes/behind the shoes :cloud9:

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL, that is a hoot!
I bought one of those, I think the same onwhere the base is wide, the whole thing isn't supposed to tip over and gives the cat the opportunity to really stretch while scratching?

My Big Guy disliked it, totally. Thought about removing the possibly sort-of-fake sisal and putting on some real hemp rope or something, but then ended up just giving it away...oh well!

otherwise, yes, absolutely, the entire house is his, as a matter of fact he's currently snoozing in a small corner of a closet where he's wedged himself under the hanging clothes/behind the shoes :cloud9:
Yep - I think we bought the same one! The reviews were so good, so many people saying their cats haven't scratched furniture since getting this! I put it away for awhile, and am going to try it again in a few weeks. If not...it's getting sold or traded! She's actually started scratching the side of the mattress when I don't get out of bed soon enough after waking up...if nothing else, since she hates it so much it might help her lose interest in the bed.