Dk(a?) My Kitty Is Sick :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I try to remember to post here too- this feels like home since you guys sent me to the diabetes board, AND helped with my previous kitty health issues (avatar is of my kittens that got me here- near death survivors!).

Jake ate tonight! I really think it is because while facetiming family a kitty came into the picture, talking up a storm. She likes to eat in front of her kitty siblings and this time was no different! They said she may be released tomorrow night.

Bad news though was that kidney values did not improve with fluids as expected. They think she may have a chronic kidney issue. She has also developed conjunctivitis and they think that might stem from a lifetime dormant herpes virus.

Here she is eating her junk food from a tongue depressor. She HATES metal bowls, but that is all they have there. She decided to curl up in my jacket that I had taken off- lucky me it now smells of cat food.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
today I discovered someone left an old, very sick cat in their unit when they vacated on the 28th. He's at least twelve years old and nothing--absolutely nothing--but skin and bones. I suspect he has cancer. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow.
I think you know who was living in that apartment, so that you can report them to the authorities!
Let us know how the kitty is doing.

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jake did not come home tonight after all, but it looks like tomorrow morning! I am anxious as they are not sending me home with supplies for her care. I have to fill the scripts at local pharmacies. I live in a rural area so I worry about the pharmacy stocking what I need!

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a lot of calls to make in the morning. No 24 hour pharmacies here- and most are currently closed. I worry most about the pet glucose meter as that certainly is special order! I also worry about having to buy insulin at a US pharmacy- I wish I was able to buy from a Canadian pharmacy- drug prices here are insane!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't need a pet blood glucose meter. Any blood glucose meter sold at the pharmacy will work just fine. AccuChek, OneTouch, WalMart's Relion brand, etc. A basic meter is all you need. The FDMB will also advise on any Human blood glucose meter. Some do use a pet meter but the test strips are pricey and are not sold in stores.

I think I have an extra newer model AccuChek Aviva meter kit around somewhere. I don't have any test strips or lancets. Those can be bought online if your local store doesn't have any. PM me if you want me to look for it and send it to you.

The FDMB has a forum section called Supply Closet where you can sometimes get needed supplies that others are giving away: insulin syringes, test kits, etc. You may want to check there for anything you need.

Last edited:

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the offer LTS3. My parents stopped by this evening and brought me a huge stash of stuff. They are both type 1 diabetics and have been moving to different things lately. I will take all they brought with me tomorrow so the nurse who is supposed to train me can help me learn with the products I have. My mother offered to go with me to help me absorb all the info. My husband has to work and both kids are in school so I am glad to have someone to be an extra set of ears. I am so glad for the referral to the diabetic board- I feel like any worry I have someone else has had before and can tell me they made it through.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't need a pet blood glucose meter. Any blood glucose meter sold at the pharmacy will work just fine. AccuChek, OneTouch, WalMart's Relion brand, etc. A basic meter is all you need.
Somewhere I had read that a basic glucose meter for human use isn't good at all because of a different parameter or level or else to be taken into account. That's why special cat/pet glucose meters are on the market.
Unfortunately I had read that article a few years ago and I don't know if I can retrieve it.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake did not come home tonight after all, but it looks like tomorrow morning! I am anxious as they are not sending me home with supplies for her care. I have to fill the scripts at local pharmacies. I live in a rural area so I worry about the pharmacy stocking what I need!
Couldn't you have a list of what you need sent to you earlier from the clinic so that you can call the pharmacies in advance and have the stuff ready when you take the prescritpion with you?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Somewhere I had read that a basic glucose meter for human use isn't good at all because of a different parameter or level or else to be taken into account. That's why special cat/pet glucose meters are on the market.
Unfortunately I had read that article a few years ago and I don't know if I can retrieve it.
A meter can't tell the difference between animal blood and Human blood. Members of the FDMB have discussed this in depth and have dome comparisons between the same drop of blood between a pet meter and a Human meter. The difference between the two readings was insignificant, only a few points like 150 vs 155.

Many vets recommend a Human meter than the pet meters. Those who recommend the pet meter may sell the test strips in the office so just want your money. There's always going to be a market for pet specific products when the Human version that already exists works just as well and costs less:rolleyes: Just use a meter you feel most comfortable with and can easily find and afford test strips.

The only thing needed at the pharmacy is insulin, really. Syringes, urine test strips, blood glucose meter and test strips and lancets, etc can be bought anywhere online. Some states may require a prescription to buy syringes at a pharmacy but you can buy those online with no prescription. The FDMB has a list of recommended web sites for supplies.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A meter can't tell the difference between animal blood and Human blood.
I found a few pages on this matter. I haven't found the page I was referring to, but more pages are available now on the web.
I googled "pet glucose meter vs human".

What they basically say it that the distribution of the Glucose in the blood in cats, dogs and humans isn't the same (the amount of glucose split between plasma and red cells). They also say that red cells in cats and dogs are smaller than in humans, and that the PCV in cats and dogs is different than in humans.
So, if a meter is calibrated and validated for reading a certain composition and blood structure, it can't be considered reliable for a different blood composition.
Ideally there is a meter for cats, another for dogs, another for horses, and so on.

Of course you can use a human grade glugose meter, but it would be better if you can do a comparison between your meter and a pet meter, a comparison done at three different blood glucose levels, hypo- normal and hyper-, and taking note of the difference between the human and cat meter.

Some of the pages I have found are from the manufacturers (and those pages might be understandably biased), other pages are from what they seem independent sources (like health institutes).

I don't think the vet would have any interest in tipping a meter or the other one, especially here where the vets do not sell equipment.

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The nurse who did the diabetes training said they used to use human meters. She said Penn did a number of studies showing some important differences that animal meters are calibrated to account for..however since the animal meter is the same for cat, dog or horse I am not sure how specialized it can be...that said I am using the human one for now and will see how it goes. Apparently I won't need to test unless she seems to be having an issue- and then use that to decide if I call or just go straight into the vet.

She had interest in eating when it was feeding time though in the end she didn't eat all that much. I had to give her a tiny doe of insulin...and now her number is high. I am stressing.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:agreedisagree: on pet vs Human meters Antonio65 Antonio65

It's necessary to test before giving each insulin shot. That way you know what your cat's level is and if it is safe enough for any insulin to be given. Don't assume that a newly diagnosed diabetic will always have a high blood glucose level at insulin time. Blindly giving insulin can risk a hypo in a matter of a few hours. Tracking daily blood glucose levels is helpful for you and your vet to see how the cat is responding to the insulin and every dose change. The FDMB members have a online spreadsheet for this. You can ask there for the instructions and template.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If eating is a hurdle to Jake's recovery, it doesn't have to be.

A feeding tube is not extreme, the cat hardly notices (really!), and it saves lives.

I know you want Jake eating on her own. But the longer her eating remains disordered or insufficient, the more metabolic byproducts build up in her liver and make her not feel so much like eating perpetuating the cycle.

I don't understand diabetic cats or dka. But I do know that my Krista would not still be with me without the feeding tube she had earlier this year. The tube won't preclude Jake from eating on her own and it can be removed when she no longer needs it. Though I would recommend leaving it longer rather than taking it out too soon. Bonus: meds are a breeze with the tube.

Feeding Tubes For Cats

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She did a good job with her morning feeding. It took 30 minutes in contrast to her usual scarfing of the food, but she ate almost everything that was offered. She had to stop and groom in intervals but she made it to the end! She really wanted our roast chicken last night but the vet was very strict about no feeding in between meals. They said even if she seems to finish eating, I give the insulin and then she immediately tries to finish the bowl I can't let her have it. This seems odd.... I think I need to get hooked up with ONE endocrinologist ASAP.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, an internal medicine vet who specializes in endocrinology would be best :agree: Diabetics, whether people or cats, should be allowed to have small meals throughout the day to keep blood glucose levels stable. There may be a FDMB member in your area who can recommend a good vet. If there isn't, here are tips to find a vet:

Questions for your vet - tons of 'em!
Decisions, Decisions...choosing the right vet partner

What are you currently feeding your cat? Low carb canned foods are best for diabetic cats. Treats are ok but many big name brands are too junky and will affect blood glucose levels. Freeze dried 100% meat treats like PureBites are good. Plain cooked chicken, like poached in water, is great :)

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet said to feed whatever she will eat until the next appointment in one week when they hope to see enough progress to put her on a diabetic diet. That said, before this all came to be, she had lost some weight and my regular vet had suggested a junk food (Friskies canned pate) to get her to put the weight back on. Right now that is what she has had for the last 2 meals. I am testing her blood again in about 30 minutes....and Might let her have a small meal if she is interested at that point.

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our physically biggest male, Lincoln (one of the three kittens that came into our lives bottle fed two summers ago- so about to be 2 in July) usually dos his own thing when it comes to Jake. They don't really interact usually. Since she returned home, he is not only laying on the sofa - which he has NEVER done before- but he is laying near where she has taken up camp. They both have *very* relaxed body language so they seem happy about this. It is sweet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Friskies is fine as long as it's under 10% carbs. I'm not sure if the FDMB members have pointed you to the food chart: http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf Friskies Classic pates are suitable. A few of the other Friskies lines are ok, too.

The "diabetic diet" for cat is under 10% carbs. You don't need prescription food so don't let the vet push you into buying that. There's nothing special about prescription food that makes it any better than commercial food. Dry foods are too high in carbs so don't feed that if possible. Do keep a few high carb canned foods on hand to use for a hypo. I used to keep the gravy Fancy Feast and junk Science Diet on hand.