Dk(a?) My Kitty Is Sick :(

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My eldest kitty Jake (she's 8) has had a long odd history of random illness. She would lose weight, become lethargic and heat seek...and she had this weird black rim to her eyes (like she was wearing eye liner on the inside of her lower eye rim. I would take her to the vet and blood and urine tests would all be normal...they would prescribe an antibiotic and she'd recover and gain weight. On one occasion they even did exploratory surgery hoping to find something only to find nothing, give her abx and boom all better. This seemed to be pretty cyclical but always with a good outcome.

She started losing weight again in late December, but none of her other usual symptoms. The vet thought maybe the kittens we'd adopted had spread fleas to her (despite our religious use of preventative) and changed her flea med to one that would be novel and also treat worms i she'd gotten those from fleas. She had her first of the new med in January and actually seemed to perk up. Her weight didn't seem to go back on, despite a hearty appetite.

On Saturday night she was frisking about- chasing a ball around. She jumped up behind me on the counter when I turned my back for one moment and made my roast chicken hers with lots of nibbles. When I called all the kitties she was the first to come- and made sure the others knew SHE left the room first- all very usual for her.

On Sunday morning, she didn't come down for breakfast (canned food delight) and she is ALWAYS the first on there. She is always fed before the other kitties. I brought the food upstairs (we have 3 floors) and found her in the kitchen. I offered her food which she sniffed but did not eat. She did a little dry heaving and I thought she might have an upset tummy.

This morning she again did not come to eat. I pushed open the laundry room door as the dryer had just stopped- and she screamed. She was behind the door and I had crushed her. She was heat seeking. I put her in a cat cuddler and placed it on the counter. I put a small amount of pate on the roof of her mouth and she swallowed it. 15 minutes latter I put in a little water. I alternated food and water every 15 minutes for an hour and a half, then gave her time for it to settle. After a while I started again with the alternating items. After about 3 hours, she vomited everything. My vet was finally open and I took the first available for noon. By the time I put her in the crate I thought she was not ever coming home again. She was not even moving. In the lobby at the vet I reached in to touch her and she felt cold to the touch. They rushed us in and her temp was 97 degrees. She had lost 2 pounds (from 9 down to 7). She was dehydrated, constipated and vomiting. They squeezed urine out of her while examining her and put a test strip in the puddle- diabetic ketones in the urine. This vet told me treatment would be expensive and I should euthanize. I was horrified.

I asked him to make her stable enough to travel to the hospital that saved the kittens we found a year and half ago. He put her on a heating pad, and administered IV fluids. two hours later I was called to come get her for transport. Her bloodwork had shown some other problems that were hopefully complications from the dehydration.

I took her to the ER and they were waiting for us. They got a catheter in her and started some additional tests. She has to be there 3 to 5 days...if she makes it through the night. She will eventually get an insulin drip. They are hoping she does not have the acidosis part of the diabetic keto acidosis, and are doing a blood gas to test. They will do an ultrasound of her pancreas tomorrow to make sure she is not having any other issues with her pancreas. I had to leave a $7000 deposit (after paying the other vet almost $500) and they can't tell me if she even has a 50 50 shot.

They did talk about long term care and the cost- special food and insulin. It seems like a very inexact process for a cat. My parents are both type 1 diabetics and the management for humans seems so much more scientific. I worry about being successful in treating her if it is all so inexact. I worry about her declining fast like she did this time. I worry about managing her needs with the other kitties in the house having their own needs. Then I worry all this is for nothing as she may not make it through the night!

Anyone with experience to share to help educate me?I don't even know what to ask at this point.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so terribly sorry for what you're going through with Jake. :hugs: Although I have no experience with this particular diagnosis I wanted to send special thoughts and healing vibes your way. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

I also had a question regarding the ER deposit. Just out of curiosity, do you know why they required a $7,000 deposit? That seems like quite an exorbitant amount for a deposit.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They require 75% of the high end estimate. The high end estimate was $9300. One line item indicated they charge 1800 for 12 hours of ICU care :(

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just joined there and posted this post as my introduction. I am very anxious. I hope Jake survives the night- she is my special girl.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You certainly could not and can not have done more for your baby than you are doing and I hope that gives you some comfort. I wonder if this is the long road to a dx of diabetes. I have had two diabetic cats, one at the end of the 1990's and one currently with me now. Both received insulin and were treated for it. The first one lived for three years with the diabetes after treatment had begun. To be honest, I feel that now with improved testing that this cat is more stable and managed than 20 years ago when reading a cat's blood sugar was trickier. It is not cheap, but it is not the worst medical bill that I have ever encountered either, including food and insulin, test strips, rechecking. Mostly you have to just stay on top of it.

The current diabetic cat, Stella, is very heavy but the first one, Hamy, was normal weight to thin. Both were entirely indoor and monitored so I was sure that nothing else was going on.

I can't say that you sound as if you are not on top of things and have done way more than many would, or would have been able to. As you said, the original vet wanted to save you the money and put her to sleep. I did wonder what he meant by "treatment" though. Was that the whole bill for anything that they did, treatment for diabetes, treatment for undisclosed issues?

I hope that your baby is going to pull through all this. Take one step at a time; if she is diabetic you can then focus on that and things will be more clear.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a nightmare. All I can say is how terribly sorry I am that you and Jake are going through this. I am pulling for you both.

I also want you to know what a great custodian you are to Jake and how lucky she is to have you. So many cats never know an ounce of kindness. I work in the apartment industry and just today I discovered someone left an old, very sick cat in their unit when they vacated on the 28th. He's at least twelve years old and nothing--absolutely nothing--but skin and bones. I suspect he has cancer. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow.

My point in telling you all this is not to highjack your thread but to drive home the point that you are an amazing, caring and very generous custodian to Jake. All cats should be so lucky!

Like I said, I'm pulling for you both.

Keep us updated.

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dislike my vet. He always wants to do the cheapest thing. By the time you do 6 cheap things you could have done the one "expensive" thing that works! Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that he has an eye on the bottom line, but I have always said I want to what is best, not cheapest. I live in a rural area and I think he is accustomed to owners who choose euthanasia over treatment (and then get a new pet :( ). If my pet has a chance, and is not suffering with no opportunity for improvement, I want to try... I assumed hi "cost for treatment" was in reference to the current condition and getting her back to life....not maintenance.

Even when I went to pick Jake up for transport to the ER he mentioned the bill would be big...ok I get it. Let it go.....

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Not to hijack the thread. I had to wait a bit after reading about that sick cat left behind in order to be able to bring myself back to the important thing. I wanted to say that at least this poor baby has kindness and compassion now. Sometimes that's all we can do, but it is an enormous thing. Thank you lavishsqualor lavishsqualor .

To the OP, I hope the best for your kitty :vibes::alright: .:crossfingers: .:grouphug2:

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I phoned the ICU this morning. Her blood sugar level is down to 120 with continuous drip glucose. Her potassium is still very low so they increased that again. She is still weak and low energy, but the tech reported she was moving more that when he first took her on last night. This is good I think...I need to call back to talk to the Dr- I need to know about temp, whether or not she's eating, etc.

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Dr just called me. Jake is doing "ok" but not well enough to come home or even start real treatment. She does in fact have the acidosis part of DKA (they were hoping she would not). She had her ultrasound this morning. The pancreas was unremarkable but her liver was bright and enlarged and she has bladder stones. She felt these were related to the uncontrolled diabetes. They are working to stabilize her blood gases, bring up her potassium, and get her to eat. Once she starts eating they can start the long acting insulin. The Dr kept saying she hasn't even been here 24 hours, so I am guessing that means they feel she has made good improvement for her short period of treatment.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The Dr just called me. Jake is doing "ok" but not well enough to come home or even start real treatment.
I'm taking this as a good sign and trying to stay positive for Jake and you. :hugs:

The Dr kept saying she hasn't even been here 24 hours, so I am guessing that means they feel she has made good improvement for her short period of treatment.
I agree and would interpret the vet's comment the same as you. :agree:

It sounds as though you brought Jake to the right place for treatment. I cannot express how much your determination and perseverance is helping her. Fingers and paws crossed for continued improvement. :crossfingers: :bluepaw:

Last edited:

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was able to visit Jake tonight and it made me worried than ever. She is still not eating. After initial purring, she began to tremble and wobble. I had to call for the tech. It made me so very scared. I am not sure she ever comes home again :(

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat with very low potassium and although she was hospitalized in an extremely expensive clinic with all the best equipment and doctors of the country, they still weren't able to raise her potassium level even after a week, and eventually they discharged her with a very poor prognosis.
I was able to normalize her potassium at home with a simple pill available from any pharmacy at a ridicolous cost, the expert doctors were amazed.
So my cat was able to regain her strength and drive for food. This was necessary to face the surgery that would have fixed her issue for good. But the first step was to normalize her potassium, and the vets weren't able to do it.

So I know how you're feeling, and the bad thing is that you can't tell the vets what to do.
I do hope the situation will improve, your devotion for your cat is remarkable, and your ability to spend that amount of money might give you a medal of honor.

Hang on there, and tell your Jake that we're all here for her!

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I talked to the tech this morning who said she was a bit more active, looking for pets and doing a head boop. He suggested if I visit that I bring the food she likes with me (I am going in an hour). The doctor called a few hours later to say her potassium and ph remain low. They need her to eat to really start treating it. on that front she "grazed" (doctor's word) about 4 bites. Her blood sugar spiked up to 350, but that was to be expected bc of the food intake. They want her to eat so they can start the long lasting insulin as well. Her anemia, which they thought was nonregenerative, is now at 30% so also a slight improvement. I am hoping she comes home soon.....