Did You Turn The Heat On Yet?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We haven't turned the heat on in the house yet, but it's getting chilly overnight. We'd like to wait until the beginning of November, but I don't know if we'll make it or not. I do have the electric blanket on the bed and that helps to keep us toasty throughout the night. The cats love it, too. As soon as I come home from work, I'll turn both sides of the blanket on High while I'm changing from work clothes into sweats. The cats come back and hop up on the bed. They start out all curled up, but as they warm up, they'll start stretching out. I love to see them all stretched out all over the bed. They each have their own preferred spot.

I did go out and warm Clarence up a bit on Friday morning before I went to work. There was a light frost on the vehicles. And the local weather-weenies are forecasting a bit of snow flurries this afternoon.

Have you turned your house heat on yet?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That gives me such a lovely mental picture, of stretched out kitties all over a bed :)
Yep our heat came on a couple weeks ago - the overnight temp got down to 14 degrees F at one point, but now the overnight temps are back to the 40's. This kind of thing, of such crazy temperature changes, has to be challenging for the trees etc...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've been holding off and didn't want to give in because it's been chilly in the morning but warms up by noon. However, I finally turned it on a low setting when the temps got down to the 30's overnight. Last night it was in the 20's. :cold:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course. It's 'Warm Towel Season for Cats', when you have steam radiators! That has to start as soon after summer ends as possible!

We always warm up a towel by putting it on a radiator for several minutes, then drape the warm towel over our cat's favorite cat bed. She loves rolling around in the hot towel, then falling asleep.:rolleyes3:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I did on Thursday. It's really gotten cold here the past few days! Of course, I mostly turned it on for the cats, since I was at work all day. Sarah Jane always seems to be cold, though not to the touch. She's always been this way. I felt sorry for her. Does turning on the two electric fireplaces count? LOL. I use those to keep the bill down, and the cats love to lay in front of them--I even bought huge dog crate cushions to place in front of them. They seem to save on the electric bill, as I can turn the thermostat way down.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The heat came on here a week or two ago. This house is old and has minimal insulation in the walls and zero at all in the floors. There are also gaps under all the doors. The house is raised up with an unfinished basement underneath that's not at all closed off to the outdoors, so the floors get so cold it actually hurts my feet. Every person who's ever visited and slept on an air mattress in the guest room ends up sick, even with layers of blankets under the mattress and under the fitted sheet to keep the cold from seeping through :gaah:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've had the heat turned on for several weeks now. We had snow yesterday; no accumulation, but some dense flurries. I was cold yesterday morning when I got up, so I put a blanket on my bed under the quilt. I also scattered birdseed on the deck table, and it was mostly gone this morning, but Lily is still in the kitchen chittering at the birds fighting over the last few crumbs.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've had the heat on in our house for a while now. it's turned down low, and has only come on a few times so far. with our wood stove, the furnace doesn't really get very much use -- even during the winter months. but it's good to run a furnace at least a few times each year.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been on for about 3 weeks now. Right around the beginning of October. I turn it on whenever it gets under 65 in the house. I'm not dealing with that. I don't care if I have to run the furnace one day and the air conditioner the next day (not uncommon during a South Dakota autumn!). I can say that I keep it warmer for the pet snakes, but that's just an excuse. I am not dealing with extreme temps in my own home!

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in Michigan so yes absolutely I've had it on for a couple weeks now. I was waiting for the inevitable random 80 degree October day but it hasn't arrived yet so the heat stays on. Haven't turned my electric blanket on yet but I imagine that's coming soon. :lol:

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've turn it on to knock the chill off in the morning. It's been cold at night the last 4 or 5 days. I turn it right back off though once it stops running. It's still fairly warm during the day. I'm cold natured though I do like it cool at night when I'm sleeping. Manny seems to handle the cold and the heat pretty well.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Living in a drafty older home, yes I’ve put the heat on. Not all the time but just when I can’t shake the chill. And I’m menopausal so that says it all..hot flashes lol. My human kids have been sick and my fur kids like warmth. They do each have heated cat mats I ordered from chewy. At night the love them because I cannot sleep in a warm room.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Yes we have been running it since the temps dropped to 40 at night...maybe 2 weeks now?

The other morning Friday we had a scattering of snow on the porch! It's been in the 40s and 50s during the day so don't need it then. Once sun goes down then it comes on.

At 7pm I turn it off unless Mr. Jon is having a bad bout of pain...I prefer it 55 in here. I love snuggling under my blankets...but I know he's cold so we keep it at 65. When I leave for work he bumps it up to 70. Way too hot for me!

At work I still run the air conditioning in my area..but that's because of welding rod ovens and the room gets 80 without it and nope not going to deal with that!

This is my favorite time of the year. I detest sweaty betty times so now I can do housework without drenching my shirt!