Did You Turn The Heat On Yet?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not yet. I just had fall HVAC service done on Friday. Everything is ready for the winter:thumbsup: I hold off on turning the heat for as long as possible. Usually when the thermostat reads consistently under 68F is when I break down. When that happens varies every year. The first year I moved in, I didn't need to turn the heat on until mid-December. I think last year the heat was turned on in mid-November. The heat gets turned off in February because by then it's too warm inside for the heat to turn on (I have a programmable thermostat).

I've already put the down comforter on the bed... on top of the regular comforter:paperbag: Emma has been getting her SnuggleSafe for the past week.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All these comments make me glad I'm not still in my hometown on the east coast. We're having temps in the 80's. I'll use my electric fireplace a few days in January and February but that's about it. The restaurants still have the ac on. It's colder there than outside. :cold:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My apartment building supposedly turned it on, but I haven't felt it and frankly, if it isn't even on in my apartment, I don't really want to alert management because I like my apartment cold. It's been in the 30s the last few nights and I still keep my window open.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We turn ours on once it gets below 68/70 at night in the house. It's been on and off for maybe a week and a half or 2 weeks. We never pick a date because the weather just varies too much here. I've always thought it shows true greed when landlords won't turn heat or ac on till it's a certain date; regardless of the weather. Greedy and stingy! DH says he deals with enough uncomfortable temperatures at work; he likes to be comfortable at home. I'm ok with that. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Well, we didn't make it to November. Dear Richard caved last night and turned the heat on in the living room. It was in the low 30's last night and he said, "Enough!".

It's more of a game with us than anything. "Let's see how long we can go this year before turning the heat on." :)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I turned it on last week when this snow/sleet/rain thing started. I'm not cold, but I didn't want the pipes to freeze. That would be bad. So I've got it set to around 50.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Draco Draco That's actually pretty neat! I could handle it.

I probably should have warmed Clarence up this morning before I left for work, but was in a hurry and turned on the windshield wiper fluid to clean the windows while I was driving. Don't do that often, but sometimes I need to get moving. And when I'm running behind, that's when we get some frost. Never fails.

Tabby knows the electric baseboard is turned on in the living room. I couldn't find her this morning when I was giving out their after-breakfast snack-before-I-go-to-work snack. Then I saw little white paws behind the rocking chair in the living room. She was all stretched out against the register where it was toasty. The girl lives for heat.....much like her mom.

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have switched over to the heat setting maybe a week ago, but hasn't been on that much. One of the kitties is sensitive to cold temps & 68 seems to be the magic number to avoid upper respiratory issues.

Our weather (southeast) has turned a bit colder than normal with overnight temps into the mid 40s. It feels a bit early to turn on the heat, but trying keep kitty well. Besides not a huge fan of waking up to a cold house anyway.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Yep, it's been going off here for a few weeks, on and off. We've had a few mornings in the 20's.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It got to 69F last night according to the thermostat. I'm hoping to get to at least Thanksgiving without needing to turn the heat on.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
The house is now on throughout the house; I turned it on in the computer room on Monday. I was cleaning my desk and thought, "Man, it's chilly in here!" Looked around and we hadn't turned it on yet. So I took care of that!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I turned the heat on yesterday. The thermostat was reading 65F. Still, the heat won't kick on until the temp drops under 65F because that's how I have the thermostat programmed to save energy. The cats are ok. They have their SnuggleSafe and blankets. Even the mouse has his own heating pad under half his box :D

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My heat still hasn't kicked on. It's still warm-ish inside. I'm fine with bundling up and swiping a SnuggleSafe pad if needed :D.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
"!!" :eek: ~>
It's been in the 30s the last few nights and I still keep my window open.
It's cold here at night when it gets down to 55° ...
My HVAC blower motor was just replaced so now it's toasty at night - but for a week it was too chilly . Heating pad and a few fluffy cats helped .

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The heat turned on this morning before I got out of bed. It got pretty cold last night, single digits :cold: I was wondering when it would turn on and if, maybe, I could make it until February without the heat ever turning on. By mid February I turn it off because it gets too warm inside for the heat to turn on.