Did I let my cat suffer?

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some of you may have seen my last post about when to put my cat with kidney failure to sleep. She declined very quickly but luckily we were able to have her cross at home. But now I’m torturing myself because I felt like I let her suffer. After coming home from the hospital, we knew the treatments weren’t working and her values had only gone up. But when she got home, her appetite was still there and she still seemed herself for a few days. But her appetite was slowly decreasing and we are trying everything to get it back; different types of food, supplements, stimulants, cerenia…nothing was working.
One day she didn’t eat at all, we said we’d wait one more day and see if she ate and on the third day we’d call a vet. But by the second day, she had declined rapidly. She couldn’t stand, was really weak and started hiding. On day three of not eating, we were making calls for a vet to come over. But I’m haunted. She was so weak. Her little meow was so strained. I don’t know what I was thinking waiting. We knew the odds were stacked against us but even the vet was saying she still was eating and feisty so I stupidly thought maybe she’d cope a bit longer. I always wanted to do right by her and I feel like I failed.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn't fail. You did all you could, you tried everything for her, and we always second-guess ourselves when they pass. If you'd had her PtS earlier I guarantee you'd be worrying now it was too soon. Self doubt and examining every last detail is part of the grieving process, sadly.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would have likely done the same as you - and probably will when it comes to my cat who has CKD. These cats can go through many, many rebounds and relapses and in some cases, there is no way to know another rebound is not just around the corner. I, like you, will hold out hoping for 'one more' rebound. It is just human nature - not failure.

The fact that you took care of her and did all you could do for her says that you did right by her. Deaths, humans and pets alike, are not usually ever considered perfectly timed and that is, ironically, just part of life.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You knew her best and because you loved her you didn't want her to suffer any longer. You did the kindest and most humane act for her so please remember she is no longer suffering or in pain. My heart goes out to you and I understand how much you miss her. :hugs:

Niclovesblueforever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, sorry. Just to let you know, I think most caring pet parents always feel guilt. I have felt it for each one of our animals, going back to when I was a kid. Kidney disease is very hard on cats and they can decline in a blink of an eye.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
As long as we see signs of hope, we want to help them continue on. That is what you did and when you realized that she had gone as far as she could, you called the vet to come to your house.

About 6 years ago I brought a sick cat (not kidney related) to the vet to be put to sleep and he perked up so much that the vet refused to euthanize him and sent him home. He survived a few more days and we went back and I insisted that he be released. In your case, very similar occurrence. The vet believed and encouraged you that there might be more time. You did the very best you could.

Niclovesblueforever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat about 15 years ago. was not eating and got thin. My mom took him to the vet and she said severe kidney and had to be euthanized. She asked if we could bring her back in a couple of days so I could spend some time with him. Well during those two days he started eating and because chipper again. We took him back and she gave us pills to help with his high bp, but he would not take them. He lasted about another 8 months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You didn't fail. You did all you could, you tried everything for her, and we always second-guess ourselves when they pass. If you'd had her PtS earlier I guarantee you'd be worrying now it was too soon. Self doubt and examining every last detail is part of the grieving process, sadly.
Thanks so much for this. You’re right I’d be kicking myself either way

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would have likely done the same as you - and probably will when it comes to my cat who has CKD. These cats can go through many, many rebounds and relapses and in some cases, there is no way to know another rebound is not just around the corner. I, like you, will hold out hoping for 'one more' rebound. It is just human nature - not failure.

The fact that you took care of her and did all you could do for her says that you did right by her. Deaths, humans and pets alike, are not usually ever considered perfectly timed and that is, ironically, just part of life.
That’s exactly it, I was hoping for a rebound. It breaks my heart thinking how strong she was and how much she was holding on

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat about 15 years ago. was not eating and got thin. My mom took him to the vet and she said severe kidney and had to be euthanized. She asked if we could bring her back in a couple of days so I could spend some time with him. Well during those two days he started eating and because chipper again. We took him back and she gave us pills to help with his high bp, but he would not take them. He lasted about another 8 months.
Amazing and yeah, you just never know how a cat will cope. The cat I had before was a miracle cat too snd I was hoping for another miracle