Destructive Behavior

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
bit of a random question here but here goes
So I am very paranoid about my boys being happy a stress free as we had some little box issues over Thanksgiving (seems to be getting better though-48 days with no accidents). My question is what "destructive behaviors" should I be on the look out for? I know the internet says to look for excessive scratching/shredding stuff buy my boys are declawed (I did not do it for the record-they came to me that way) so that doesn't really help. They knock stuff off counters and sometimes get up on the entertainment unit (I think they know they are not permitted up there because I used to spray them when they did but I don't anymore since it wasn't helping and stressing them out) but is that just them being cats? What behavior is a red flag that something is brewing and they might go outside the box?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think stress free is a BIG factor for cats, and any change in daily routine, like a holiday, can cause issues. I think if they start showing destructive behaviors you will know, you wont have to ask. The knocking stuff off, and getting where we don't want them seems to me just normal cat behavior. and i wont spray, or physically discipline mine in any way either :) i don't yell at them, i will use the serious voice sometimes, and when they do something i don't want i try to redirect their attention to appropriate places to be, and things to do.

With my cats i generally watch to see that everyone is eating and using the litter box normally. That no one is acting "funny" no more needy, or vocal than normal. No one is acting scared or skittish. Not hiding and avoiding us, or each other. They engage in play time like normal. I think with time we know our cats normal behavior and it stands out when one is off. But there is no guarantee. Good Luck with your boys, and hopefully no more litter box issues!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you-I have GAD and so Oscar missing his box really tossed me for a loop and made me feel like I knew nothing about my cats bc I missed the signs he was unhappy with his box. Yesterday someone unrolled the toilet paper which was new so I got worried that maybe that is the declawed version of destructive behavior or something. In general they seem to be themselves-loving their wet food, drinking from their fountain, wanting company for their breakfast at 6am, sleeping with me, etc. Oscar (my needy man) is meowing a drop more/in a pinch deeper tone than usual but I think it is just because he wants attention (he seems to stop the second I pet him), they are playing a bit more with each other the past few days (I am 99.9% sure it is play as their is no hissing/growling, puffy tails, hiding after, etc. and it seems to go back and forth as to who starts it) and they have not be as crazy for their fishing pole toys the past few days but I think it also might be time to rotate their toys (although Oscar is still nuts for his smartykay hot pursuit toy)
you think they are ok?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you-I have GAD and so Oscar missing his box really tossed me for a loop and made me feel like I knew nothing about my cats bc I missed the signs he was unhappy with his box. Yesterday someone unrolled the toilet paper which was new so I got worried that maybe that is the declawed version of destructive behavior or something. In general they seem to be themselves-loving their wet food, drinking from their fountain, wanting company for their breakfast at 6am, sleeping with me, etc. Oscar (my needy man) is meowing a drop more/in a pinch deeper tone than usual but I think it is just because he wants attention (he seems to stop the second I pet him), they are playing a bit more with each other the past few days (I am 99.9% sure it is play as their is no hissing/growling, puffy tails, hiding after, etc. and it seems to go back and forth as to who starts it) and they have not be as crazy for their fishing pole toys the past few days but I think it also might be time to rotate their toys (although Oscar is still nuts for his smartykay hot pursuit toy)
you think they are ok?
They sound like cats to me :) Cats will occasionally miss the box, and i wouldn't consider it a big deal, unless it happens often. One of mine will every few months, and i have seen them occasionally, they position to close to the end of the box, or my young male who covers so much that he will occasionally dig litter, and "other things" out of the box. :( Never fun when they do it, but if it seems to be just an occasional accident i don't worry. I have 4 cats, i keep 5 to 6 large uncovered boxes out at all times. right now i use a grass litter, a fine crystal litter, and a new fine grain walnut litter i just found in different boxes. I also scoop several times a day, and do a total clean, wash boxes and new litter every two weeks. I want them to always have a clean option available. :)

as with people cats will have slightly different behaviors, and moods on different days. Unless its a major change, or smaller changes that continue over a longer time i don't worry much.

I had a cat, years ago, that if she ever got in the bathroom the toilet paper was always trashed.... lol she LOVED unrolling it and shredding it. or she would grab a hold and run through the house, often unrolling the whole roll as she went. For her it was all kinds of FUN :) and yes, i have used Shredded TP sometimes :) Enjoy your cats.